Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Unhappy 29" curved tempered glass window... and a warning!

Greets all. We just returned from a 2,700 mile trip with our '67 Caravel thru New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. It is a great companion!

A warning and a request for help...

The Warning: North of Price, Utah on Highway 6 they are doing road repair and have deposited huge amounts of gravel on the winding road. The trucks traveling this route make it extremely extremely hazardous... A rock blew out a side window on our '67 Caravel... We were fearing for our lives for about a 10 mile stretch of pure misery. Fortunately we survived with nothing but a broken window. After 36 years you woulda thought our '67 beaut had seen it all. Nope! Please use care traveling this route!!! It is dangerous!

The Help Needed: Andy at Inland RV reports that he can replace my shattered 29" side window with a special form of plexi they have adapted to use on the curved sides of these trailers. This sounds very reasonable but I would prefer the original tempered glass if I can land my hands on an original window that has been retired from use. That's where you folks come in. Anybody know where I can find one? I need one fast. Monsoons are about to hit...

Thanks all for a terrific forum!
Old 08-01-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Window replacement

Check the Yellow Pages for a shower door company. Companies that make custom shower doors are set up to make curved tempered safety glass and should be able to make a window replacement for you. They will want to see your trailer so that they can figure out the right curvature. I've talked to a company in Denver about this, but just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. If you go this route please let the forum know how well it works.

Otherwise, you'll have to wait until a salvaged window becomes available. Sometimes these come up on e-bay. This is usually very expensive.

Plastic is the only other alternative. Two of my windows are plastic. They work, but not as well as glass as they are too flexible. Of course they don't shatter as easily, and can be replaced cheaply. If you need one right away for a temporary fix then most hardware stores have acrylic panels available.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

The name of the Denver company?

Thanks for the feedback. Can you remember the name of the company in Denver? I travel through Colorado frequently and also have many contacts there, so I could make arrangements pretty easily. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Monarch Shower Doors & Glass

Monarch Shower Doors & Glass
1410 South Sante Fe Dr
303-777-3087

www.monarchshowerdoors.com

It was a while back last I talked to them, but it looks like they still do fabrication.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Thanks! I sent them an email this morning with the specs I need. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
try sonny at camper repair center in montevella alabama . he probably has one. 205-665-2531. lol
al
Old 08-04-2003, 07:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Al,
Just spoke to Sonny and he is going to look around his warehouses for one for me. Thinks he might have one tucked away somewhere. Quite the gent. Thanks for the headsup. BTW, he knew who led me to him right away...
Old 08-15-2003, 05:12 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

curved tempered glass

67 Caravel

did you locate your window...???

We had a similar experience on a recent long trip....lost the front stationary side window on our '81 Excella motorhome by a flying rock. Found out they are NLA!!!! We have been spinning our wheels to get the real glass replacement instead of the plexi glass. Inland RV and another local glass company said we had to remove the frame to put it in.....that is NOT what we would like to do......so my question is......if we go the plexiglass route....is there a way to install it without tearing out the frame?????....that looks like a MAJOR JOB!! I'm thinking of installing two pieces (top and bottom)with some kind of rubber joiner in the middle.... Any ideas or experience here??? TIA, Marty
Old 08-16-2003, 04:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

I did not find the original so ordered the replacement from Andy. This window tilts out from the bottom and the glass is frameless so there should not be any problem for me installing it. Just insert it into a groove in the frame assembly at the top of the window. Whallah.

I wish you luck. It appears your situation is a bit more complicated than mine.

If you REALLY want to spend some money but get your window fixed right, try one of the "Bent Glass" companies. Try these sites for starters...

www.standardbent.com/
www.bentglassdesign.com/
www.curved.com/

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Found an original Corning 29"

I was lucky to find an original - tenacity on my part and some dumb luck too.

I tried to return the plastic replacement I got from Inland RV - they refused stating it was beyond their 10 day limit (had nothing to do with the fact that my messages weren't returned by Inland until days later...) Buyer beware! Andy had the gall to ask where I found the Corning. Like he thought I'd tell him after refusing the return! Some nerve...

Anybody need a discounted 29" plastic window for a late 60's Caravel? Please buy from me - free shipping and a discount price! $60 OBO.

-------------------
Here's Andy's reply to me regarding the above post that he sent via email:
-------------------

We do not monitor our computers for messages, as some would think. Therefore we ask people to call us.

We called you on the 19th and 20th. Got no answer. What else do you want?

Your post is quite unfair.

I do not ever remember talking with you.

All your paper work is in handwriting that's not mine. What is it you expect us to do??

You ordered a part, we shipped it. If you wanted to find a glass replacement, you should have done that first.

We are not here to cause any problems for anyone, nor are we here to accept parts back because someone changed their mind.

We are prepared to forward our records if necessary, to document "our" side.

Posting as you did, serves no useful purpose, but your own agenda.

We have already receive PM's supporting us, and that is the only reason I am writing you.

Andy

----------------

In fairness to Inland RV, I provide the above so you can make your own determination of the quality of service I received.

Let's see if I have this right; 2 phone calls with no messages left (I have voice mail...), paperwork that belongs to somebody else (pass the buck), we don't monitor emails even though we sell via the internet (are you kidding me?), I don't remember talking to you (of course not!) and, we will prove you wrong one way or another (vindication!).

I received the part as described and promised. Andy is 100% correct on that and deserves accolades. And, I should not have expected to return the part, really, but who wouldn't at least try? Heck, my order was nearly $200. I've ordered stuff from them before. I'm a repeat customer. Hmmm, wonder if I'll ever order again?

Inland RV provides a service that many people need. The real question is this; is someone else doing it better?

My "agenda" is to advise the forum users to beware of fine print, hoopla, sales pitches, and the risks of buying from merchants who you cannot see face to face. I was always taught that the customer is KING and the customer is always RIGHT. Other folks don't always think this way. Buyer beware. And, ask for references...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Unhappy Monarch Shower Door company

Just wanted to let anyone know who might be interested - the company I suggested, Monarch Shower Door Co., now states that they can't do curved and tempered glass, only tempered. The woman I talked to was pretty short with me. I guess I should have taken them up on their original offer when I had the chance, but now I don't think I'd do business with them even if they could do the job.

I made more inquiries and a manufacturer here in Colorado made the same recommendation as 67Caravel made for bent glass in California.

Forrest
Old 08-22-2003, 06:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rules and policy

67Caravel.

Your comments are deserving a brief answer.

Company rules and policies are necessary for any company to succeed.

You admit, you were wrong in your attempt to return parts beyond the time limit, so why are you making such an issue.

It seems to us, and our stockholders, after last nights meeting reviewing your statements, your only agenda is to "toot your horn."

At least presently, there is no one else, that has the guts or courage, to make a huge financial and time investment in parts, to satisfy some Airstream owners. WHY? Simple, they don't want the BS some offer.

We shall continue with our parts servicing for the vast majority, who appreciate someone trying to help.

For the select few that cannot be pleased, your free to go someplace else for your source for obsolete parts.

FYI, the customer is not always king. Some customers, today, would gripe, if the shipping AND parts were free. They would expect a "royalty check with their order."

Our USA freedoms, to some, means they can be abusive anytime, towards anyone they may choose. BUT, if they owned that business, along with some stockholders, that they felt horribly abused them, THEY WOULD BE THE FIRST TO CHANGE THEIR TUNE, IN LESS THAN A HEARTBEAT.

Then, have an female employee sue you for job stress, because
of the verbal abuse some telephone customers have given her, AND have the state agree that she was abused.

Welcome to California, and the world of some people who don't have much of a real life, and tickle their jollies, by attacking others, but who would run, very fast, if the shoes were on their feet.

Ah, how much greener the grass is, from their side of the fence.

We shall continue this thread as long as the moderators shall allow unfounded, and sarcastic comments, from some of the members of this site, to be posted without any abatement.

We have no need to toot our horn, but we will be defensive, when necessary.

The select few, will not rule.

Andy
Old 08-22-2003, 07:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
We shall continue this thread as long as the moderators shall allow unfounded, and sarcastic comments, from some of the members of this site, to be posted without any abatement.
Works for me, the thread is locked. You have both had your say.

John
Closed Thread