Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
2012 Int'l 23D Mod 04: Plexiglass inserts for screen door

My 23D floor plan doesn't have much visibility to the outdoors on the curb side under the awning. When the weather is nice the view is great by leaving the outer door open. In the warmer and cooler weather when heat or A/C need to be on, there's a more closed-in feeling with the outer door closed.

I found a family owned hardware store in Pigeon Forge, TN that would sell and cut plexiglass to my dimensions. I measured the dimensions from inside the Airstream with the idea that the inserts would fit into the groove of the door and fit flush with the frame. The panels are held in place using existing holes from the perforated aluminum guards that I removed and some white clips available at a home improvement store. Four additional holes were drilled as well.

The fellow doing the cutting clearly had some good experience. He came out of the back room after about 2 minutes and had all 4 cuts made perfectly.

Fitting the lower panel was a breeze as all 4 corners are square. The upper panel, though, has 2 rounded corners. I placed the upper panel into the groove and held it in place while I used a Sharpie to transfer the curve of the corners to the plexiglass panel. A filing rasp and a good deal of patience took care of the rest. After a few fittings, I had it filed down to fit inside the curves perfectly.

The outcome is a "storm door" that allows me to leave the outer door open even with the heat or A/C on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1745_800x600.shkl.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	159107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1744_800x600.shkl.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	159108  

Name:	IMG_1746_600x800.shkl.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	159109  
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Great idea!

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post
Great idea!

Boy, I'll say, I like that idea a lot! Being in the south, most of our camping is done with the A/C on, so this is an idea I can really get in to.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have seen quite a few Plexiglass panels made. Most times they work well but you need to be careful when you drill and fasten Plexiglass. Plexiglass is a trade name for acrylic. Acrylic is pretty brittle. That is why it is so easy to cut. It is like glass, all you need to do is score it and bend and it breaks. I have seen many plexiglass panels crack at the drilled holes and then progress into the other areas.

The better material for this application is polycarbonate, tradename Lexan, which has great ductility and clarity, but must be sawn to get the right size. I have found that a spiral RotoZip saw works best.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Part of the beauty of this application is there were no holes that needed to be drilled into the plexiglass. The white plastic fasteners hold it in place with friction. I specifically wanted to avoid drilling holes for the very reasons you've mentioned. Let's just say that was a former "lesson learned."
Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
let me know what happens when it rains. i suspect the rain will drip on the inside of the screen door and leak on the floor.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
When it rained today it wasn't a problem because the door is covered by the awning.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I like it! Great idea
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
I love this mod! I'm thinking of doing this on the cheap with some clear plastic I have from some old IKEA picture frames. Hoonanea, can you tell me where you purchased the retainer clips you used?
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Hi Wishing. I got the plastic clips at one of the big box hardware stores -- can't remember which one for sure. Browse the aisle with the hardware for repairing window screens, storm doors, and sliding glass doors. That's where I found them. Also, if you live in an area with a lot of mobile home or RV parks you might find a hardware store that specializes in some of the hard-to-find mobile home parts. They would likely have the clips as well. I've seen them in white, brown, and gray. I like the gray the best because I think it blends well with the aluminum frame of the screen door.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Another current thread on this mod.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ml#post1637726

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
Thanks to you both!
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Great idea. I'm going to do this before our next trip, but I'll probably put the panels on the outside since we have the screen "guards" on our door.
Did you simply screw the hardware into the screen door? I saw on the other thread that was referenced that Rivnuts were used. I'd rather not invest in more tools for this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Hi Landrum,

I removed the screen guards on my door since I don't have pets and I wanted to minimize the obstruction looking through the screen. I re-used the four screw holes from the guards for the plastic screen clips. I drilled two more holes at the top and one at the bottom. If you cut off the little tab on the clip and use a slightly longer screw, you might be able to use the same holes for both the clip and the guard.

I have attached a picture of the plastic clips I used. They're available at big box hardware stores, ACE, and mobile home supply stores.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen window clip.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	241432  
Old 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Perfect. Thanks.

I bought a sheet of acrylic today and found those plastic clips at Lowes. However, the clips I found don't have the longer "barrels", so they may work as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote