Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

city , Vermont
2004 Bambi - Rear Window Leak

During a recent rain, noticed wet bedding in the back of the airstream and the window trough area between screen and glass with about 1/2" of water. A little bit of water was weeping over through the clamps and soaking the bedding. Hoping that I didn't have one of the 15 ft hard to find leaks, I tossed some food coloring on the top of the window and waited. Victory, green drips showed up, ran down the closed window on the inside, and pooled in the window. Closer examination showed breaks in the sealing around the window, and on the rivets holding the gutter on. Peeled the old sealant back, and noticed that it looked like there were places where the gutter rivets missed the window frame. There were also pretty large gaps between the top of the window / gutter and the skin. Is this typical? Also noticed that the gutter did not completely fit onto the window frame at the center underneath where the seam meets in the rear window. Finally, the window seems to bind in the lower left (drivers side) corner.

Broke out some new silkaflex and created a rookie ugly caulk job that may just do the trick.

Questions are:

How should the window attach to the skin, and are the gaps expected?
Is Silkaflex the right stuff?
Can the gutter be removed, gasketed then reriveted?
Should the gutter piece interlock with the window underneath?
Should the window gasket be continuous around the top? (mine was split right at the window seam?)
What could cause the window to bind and should I be concerned about breaking it (the last one I broke was $320 and pretty impressive on destruction)?

Plan to provide some picts in day light...

Any information is appreciated. I'm sure these problems have been addressed at length, but alas, I'm new...
bren_vt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Sorry I have no answers, but I like your food-coloring idea.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If it's a CCD and you have the Classic style windows, the frame IIRC has Acryl-R. If you have the HEHR windows the frame I believe is black colored Silkaflex or Vulcum....but I seem to recall someone at the factory saying they only use Vulcum in the wheel well areas.

I have not had a leak at the rear window with my HEHR, but the gasketing has a LOT to be desired with the old HEHR windows. I also have a 2004. I replaced all mine HEHR window gaskets and also added some to some windows that either didn't have any gaskets or were so shoddy that it was beneficial to replace.

I believe some of the recommended annual maint procedures are to go over the entire trailer and look for gaps and such where re-applying of various sealants is required. I have done this and found a few areas every year that might need some slight touch up.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bambi, rear, sealing, window, leaks