Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #1

Unhappy 1985 Sovereign Damaged in Storm - HELP!

My husband and I just bought our 1985 Sovereign this past March. It spent 2 months at an "authorized" Airstream dealer/repair (Darien, NY - Shining Times Express) and had the front window by the door replaced. The job this dealer did was horrible. Aside from the window replacement, a few cosmetic touch ups and a quick vacuuming the Airstream looked like it did when we dropped it off.

We began using it in the Pocono Mts. in Pennsylvania this past July.

This weekend we went up to find the replaced window had leaked during the storm we had in the north east (remnants of hurricane Jeanne). The carpet was wet, the couch wet and mold seems to be everywhere (worse by the window and carpet below it).

We have insurance so hopefully that will cover the cost of repairing the damage. Our dilemma is knowing a good dealer to have it taken to. There are 2 dealerships closest to us... Smyrna Delaware and Lakewood NJ. Has anyone had experience with these dealers?

Our second problem is getting it there. We do not own a tow vehicle (we purchased it from a family member and decided to put it at a campsite for the first few years to see if we liked it before investing in a tow vehicle and learning how to tow it). Can anyone recommend a way to get it towed the 135-150 miles we will need to have it taken to a dealer?

When my parents owned the Airstream, they never had any of the problems we are having. Again, we thought having it detailed, checked out and repairs made (to the tune of $2500.00) at an authorized dealer would help us avoid this fiasco.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Kettyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jim Turner at Turner Airstream, in Jeanette Pa, has been around for a long time.

I helped him learn some of the business some 30 years ago.

Great guy, top quality is his first name.

Phone number 724-5236545.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Providing you can find a tow vehicle, why not go the extra 100 miles or so, and take it back to Jackson Center? You can surely get it repaired correctly there.

Good luck getting it fixed, a forum search for "mold" will tell you how to combat this, and hopefully curb the problem till you can get the leak fixed.
Terry
Old 10-05-2004, 05:30 PM   #4

Jackson Center is about 510 miles from where we are... I am on the eastern side of PA near Allentown.

Thanks for the info about the mold info. I will check it out.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:43 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettyscott
Jackson Center is about 510 miles from where we are... I am on the eastern side of PA near Allentown.
Never mind...I was thinking about the wrong side of the state.
Terry
Old 10-05-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
What's the towing condition

Hello. I travel through there all the time. I recommend Safford RV in Fredericksburg, VA. If you want, as I travel to and from Binghamton, NY and NC all the time, we could work out a deal where I tow it there for you some time in the near future. I have a 1985 34' Airstream Limited travel trailer. What length is yours? When was it last towed? Wheels, bearings, lights? What was wrong with the window? Both of mine closest to the door were double paned and developed water in between the panes, and I had to replace them too. I used DONMAR RV in SC but it leaked afterwards. I know of a few in the Vintage club that used Safford RV in Fredericksburg, VA and they were all positive reviews - a few with major damage repaired after hurricanes went through.

I think they have a web site:

http://www.saffordrv.com/rv_index.html

Let me know and we can work out a deal. With winter coming they could repair it, and winterize it for you.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Hello. I travel through there all the time. I recommend Safford RV in Fredericksburg, VA. If you want, as I travel to and from Binghamton, NY and NC all the time, we could work out a deal where I tow it there for you some time in the near future. I have a 1985 34' Airstream Limited travel trailer. What length is yours? When was it last towed? Wheels, bearings, lights? What was wrong with the window? Both of mine closest to the door were double paned and developed water in between the panes, and I had to replace them too. I used DONMAR RV in SC but it leaked afterwards. I know of a few in the Vintage club that used Safford RV in Fredericksburg, VA and they were all positive reviews - a few with major damage repaired after hurricanes went through.

I think they have a web site:

http://www.saffordrv.com/rv_index.html

Let me know and we can work out a deal. With winter coming they could repair it, and winterize it for you.

Rob
Rob -

Thanks for the info. I will look into Safford RV.

What length is yours? 29'
When was it last towed? Last towed in June
Wheels, bearings, lights? All inspected, new and towing fine
What was wrong with the window? Prior to us purchasing it, vandals broke the window. The dealer we took it to removed the entire window/frame in order to replace it. My guess is the window was not put back in correctly. Could be the seal or frame. I guess we won't know until the dealer/insurance adjuster looks at it.

Thanks again for the info and offer to work out towing for us. I will be in touch. Once we decide on a dealer.

Colette
Old 10-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Welcome to the club of getting faulty repair work by dealers and authorized AS repair dealers. I think it has to do with what day of the week and the attitude of the person working on the problem. Finding a good repair center that does consistant quality work is difficult at best. Even the factory in Ohio has their problems evidenced by the defects in the new delivered units which we see posted on this forum. Try someone else and good luck.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote