Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Walker , Louisiana
1976 Sovereign window film bubbling

I have a 76 soverign and my windows have the double pane with tint that bubbling.is the away I can repair this without removing the window?I just sont have anywhere to keep it out the weather.
Treyladut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyladut View Post
I have a 76 soverign and my windows have the double pane with tint that bubbling.is the away I can repair this without removing the window?I just sont have anywhere to keep it out the weather.
If you read through our journey with the Albatross, you will find a description of what you have to do to repair those windows. We have exactly the same trailer with exactly the same problems. You can take one out at a time and cover the hole with plastic taped down to the edges while you fix them. Take them one at a time and go slowly. We saved the wing windows for last and sweated every minute we had them out that they would break. Luckily neither did.

We tried rebuilding them with double pane after clean up but eventually had to conclude with what everyone on the Forums was telling us from the beginning. Just clean them up and rebuild as single panes. It works out just fine. I can't imagine how you could do it without removing the window frames but maybe someone else has a magic trick up their sleeve. I don't know a lot about nothing but just enough to get into trouble with.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Trey, I just finished redoing my 3 Vista windows on our '74 Sovereign. If your VV's are the same as those in our '74 I can point you to a thread that will give you details on how to remove the inside Plexiglas and reseal the VV's. It's "Resurrecting Big Bertha... or, how I spent $30,000 on a $2000 trailer..." by Panama Red. Go to the Trailer forum, scroll down to Sovereign then 1974 Sovereign and click on it. Go to page #18 and click on the link included on this page. It will take you to pages with specific details on how to redo your VV's. I found it invaluable. Panama Red gives you a place in Canada where you can order the sealing material. It takes about 10 days to get it but the wait is worth it. I followed his instructions on how much to order and had enough to do my 3 VV's. The plastic trim INSIDE the trailer will give you a hard time but you can remove the Plexiglas inside pane with persistence. I found you will need the "fancy tool" Red invented to help pull out the Plexiglas. Also, if you are working in the heat, the butyl will be very sticky so be prepared. When installing the polyshim to the window frame I found it easier to remove the paper strip that it is shipped with and use household wax paper to keep it from sticking to your fingers and everything it touches. Keep in mind that this is on a '74 Sovereign so you may want to verify that '74 VV's are installed the same as in your '76.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Hi
I did the lower VVwindows 5 years ago, lucky I had the plastic held in
with a ring. Got the ring out using a sharp pick, Placed it low on
the ring where they join, put a small block under the pick and the ring
lifted right out. I recall I used a paint can opener to remove the plexi.
Once all was cleaned I used (against all advice) 5/8 square black foam
insulation tape. (ace hardware) Pressed the plexi back in, and still looks like
the day I did it.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign