Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 Vista View Restoration

OK, finally got around to posting my vista view restoration. Sorry its been so long!!! (I've actually fixed several things, but this was the first I actually documented.)

I'm going to try to post the sequence of pictures. If they dont post, I'll try to describe the best I can.

This is the restoration of 1973 Vista View windows. Later models aren't as easy to fix.

First, remove the inner aluminum trim ring around the window using a small screw driver and hammer to "pop out" the ring. Start in the middle (at the seam) and work your way around the vista view. It will take some effort to get both sides out without damaging the inner plastic trim piece.
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

OK, well. . . couldn't get the pictures to post, so here's the description. See my photo list for the pictures.

After you get the retaining ring out, use a small flat blade screwdriver to pop out the plexiglass inner pane. I didn't reinstall mine, so I just cleaned it and saved it for posterity.

Once the inner pane is out, get a helper to push on the outer pane from the outside of the trailer toward the inside. It will probably pop loose easily. If it doesn't, don't rush it! They are expensive! Once you have the pane loose, then pull it out (from the inside of the trailer). It may take a little persuasion to get past the plastic trim, but it will come out.

Take the outer pane to your workbench and clean it thoroughly. There is a mylar fim on the glass that may or may not be immediately apparent. Use a SHARP razor blade scraper to CAREFULLY remove the film. Once you have it off, clean the glass thoroughly. I used Barkeepers friend and a "white" scotchbrite scrubber (like you use on bathroom tile) to scrub the glass clean. The Barkeepers Friend doesn't scratch when used with the white pad.

Go back to the trailer and clean the frame for the window using laquer thinner or mineral spirits (same thing). Acetone evaporates too quickly to be of much use.

Once everything is spic and span, place a generous bead of Vulkem on the inside of the frame where the glass sits. pop in the glass.

IMPORTANT!! You will need some type of gasket to hold the glass against the frame of the trailer. I have been told that Vulkem will hold it by itself, but I used a 1/2" by 1/2" closed cell foam gasket with adhesive on one side and a urethane facing on the opposite side to add some insurance.

Apply the gasket with the adhesive toward the frame (90 degrees to the glass) so that the urethane facing will be visible once you have it all back together. (see pics)

Once the gasket is in place, reinstall the aluminum retaining ring (which will push the gasket against the glass and create a compression fit). Go to the outside of the trailer and wipe off the excess Vulkem. Be careful not to wipe away too much. It will shrink somewhat as it dries.

You want to leave a smooth bead to shed water over the outside frame of the window.

Add some new Vista View trim (available from Inland and others), crack open a cold one, and enjoy your "new", clear, and water tight windows!!

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Tripp , great post thank you ! I am in the middle of doing this myself.
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My '72 is a little different procedure. I used a Dremel tool, and more or less cut the plexiglass in half on the vertical plane. Then I took channel locks and broke pieces out, (wear goggles or safety glasses!!) until it was all removed. It really makes a mess. Keep a vacuum or shop vac handy during the process, especially when using a razor blade to scrape the 3M coating off of the inside of the remaining outer pane.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Pick , my "74" Tradewind is exactly the same as your photos show.My "71"Tradewind is completely different,they seem to only one payne of glass no plexi .I was wondering why did you decide not to put the plexi back in ,it seems that it would add to the insulating properties. Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Old thread but....

Do you have to remove the vista outer glass? Can't you just clean it still in the skin and reinstall plexiglass and ring? And if needed, where do I get the in between gasket, or someting that works well? Thanks MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
John I rebuilt mine and kept the inner plexi pane.
Read about how I did it and what I used here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post864410
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sammamish , Washington
Tripp,

I have checked with Fastenal, Grainger and they all want to know the manufacturer and part# of the "1/2" by 1/2" dense closed cell foam gasket with adhesive on one side and a urethane facing on the opposite side"?

Do you have a mfr & part # for what you used?

Thanks.

Chuck Neir
Chuck Neir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Neir View Post
Tripp,

I have checked with Fastenal, Grainger and they all want to know the manufacturer and part# of the "1/2" by 1/2" dense closed cell foam gasket with adhesive on one side and a urethane facing on the opposite side"?

Do you have a mfr & part # for what you used?

Thanks.

Chuck Neir
Hey Chuck I doubt you'll get an answer from Tripp. the post is over 8 yrs old and he hasn't posted on the forums since 2005.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Dang, I was hoping that they were supposed to leak. I guess I need to add those to the list.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Some additional information on repairing these windows - depending on the model year:

Frequently Asked Questions
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I went to the hardware store and bought one solid rubber bungee cord used to hold things down. The sold rubber cord was cut to the same size the old rubber was used to holed the window in. It worked great. I cut more pieces then what was turely needed. With vulkem and the newly cut rubber I installed everything back in. It has been four years and I still do not have any leakes.

Lothlorian
Old 11-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sammamish , Washington
Boy, I sure blew that. I never even thought to look at the posting date.

Thanks for the FAQ's on the windows.

Chuck
Chuck Neir is offline   Reply With Quote