Old 07-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
1973 Tradewind Wing Window Replacement Question

Fist. Love these forums.

Second. Love the process of fixing up "Dusty" much more than I thought.

Third. Labor of love for sure. Great hobby to share with the wife.

So, I have scoured the forums, got most of the information I will need to replace the broken out, single pane, curb side, wing window. I have watched video's, visited blogs and there is one question I need to clear up before I drill out the rivets and remove the frame.

When we purchased the trailer, the previous owner had already purchased a replacement pane (glass only) to go into the curbside wing window frame. I removed the interior trim and it revealed the window will fit into a groove. so... When I remove the frame and take it apart, will the pane slide into the groove even though it is curved?

I would hate to drill out all those rivets to find the window won't slide in the frame because of the inherent curve of the wing window and frame.

Also, when reinstalling, am I going to use Olympic rivets and shave the heads or should I use buck rivets? If Olympic rivets, can someone enlighten me as to the right ones to purchase depth wise?

Thanks so much!

John

Old 07-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The glass in that window is tempered safety-type glass, and really doesn't like to be bent. Replacement wing window assemblies are still available from your friendly dealer. Since they are still available, I would go that route, unless and until they become NLA.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
'73 was a crossover year for wing windows. I've seen 1 and 2 piece windows on trailers of this vintage.
If your frame looks like the ones I've done in my '72 then you do not need to drill out all the rivets.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ir-123701.html
If its the single piece frame then you do.
I believe the frame on the new style frames have screws holding the straight piece to the curved side. Could it be an inner glass?

I used the Olympic rivets and butly tape from VTS to reinstall the frames. Rounded the heads with a Dremel and fine sandpaper. No leaks so far.

Good luck.
Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
This is awesome.

Tom,

You sir may have just saved me soooo much work, energy, and money. I do not have the words. Going out tonight with some flat tools to take that frame off.

so, the outer frame is secured to the inner frame with butyl tape? no rivet busting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8215.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	267108  
Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
question...

My wife and I finally were able to remove the frame for the outside wing window. We are in the process of cleaning the frame and preparing to install the new window pane into the frame. When I removed the broken window in the picture above i did not see a Rubber glazing strip. When I replace the window do i need a glazing strip? Or do I lay it in a bed of sikaflex?
Old 08-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I did this several years ago. My single pane wing had plexiglass in it that was yellowed and crazing. I obtained a duel pane window that I disassembled and split apart. As the replacement pane was thicker then the original the glazing gasket was of no use. I slid the new glass into the frame using dish soap as a lubricant. After assembly I rinsed the soap out with lots of water. After thorough drying I injected sealant around window. I've had zero problems. I detailed it on my "71 Globetrotter Full Monty" thread listed on my byline below.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Russellville , Arkansas
Wing Window replacement Question

For those of you who have done this... the outside window of ours is broke but not the inside. Can you buy just the one glass or do you have to replace the whole thing?
Old 09-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Glass panes only are not sold commercially and only single pane window assemblies are now available.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlink View Post
For those of you who have done this... the outside window of ours is broke but not the inside. Can you buy just the one glass or do you have to replace the whole thing?
I bought a new replacement single-pane window, took it apart, and used the glass to replace the broken outer glass in my original, double-paned window. A little extra work but has turned out fine.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I did mine I could not reuse the vinyl gasket. I floated the window in a bed of Vulkem applied gradually. Worked good.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
Quote:
Amberlink, When we bought ours, the outside window was broke, see picture above. The PO hade somehow cut the inner window section and separated it from the outer section. It was a mess, I think he used a dremel and cut the heads off of most of the mounting screws in the process. The inner window was intact. Right or wrong, we used this inner window to replace the broken outer window. It was a serious amount of work to separate the frame, yours shouldn't be as bad if all the interior screws are intact.

You could take out the frame, take out the inner window and put it in the outer window sleeve. I don't have a size comparison, but my wife and I believe the inner window was slightly smaller. It fit just fine in the outer window frame. We used a bed of sikaflex and it pressed right in the frame without much hassle. You will be switching from a dual pane to a single pane, but you can't tell the difference unless you get really ana... uh unless you look real close. You could also buy a single pane insert. With what you have, and if the frame is like mine was, (can be removed without removing rivets), you might be able to fix your window without much expense other than time, sikaflex and butyl tape.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
The after...

We still need to clean up the rest of the tape, and a bit of the frame on the bottom, but this is much better than the picture above (broken window). This is the inside window pane re positioned to the outside window frame. One hiccup we didn't realize until we were neck deep in the process: The inner window pane had some calcification, or etching from the condensation buildup that is typical of these windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8616.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	271615  
Old 09-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadvox View Post
Amberlink, When we bought ours, the outside window was broke, see picture above. The PO hade somehow cut the inner window section and separated it from the outer section. It was a mess, I think he used a dremel and cut the heads off of most of the mounting screws in the process. The inner window was intact. Right or wrong, we used this inner window to replace the broken outer window. It was a serious amount of work to separate the frame, yours shouldn't be as bad if all the interior screws are intact.

You could take out the frame, take out the inner window and put it in the outer window sleeve. I don't have a size comparison, but my wife and I believe the inner window was slightly smaller. It fit just fine in the outer window frame. We used a bed of sikaflex and it pressed right in the frame without much hassle. You will be switching from a dual pane to a single pane, but you can't tell the difference unless you get really ana... uh unless you look real close. You could also buy a single pane insert. With what you have, and if the frame is like mine was, (can be removed without removing rivets), you might be able to fix your window without much expense other than time, sikaflex and butyl tape.
Thank you so much for the advice. You people are wonderful.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Redding , California
Quote:
Thank you so much for the advice. You people are wonderful.
I did want to mention that you will have to get creative about removing the inner pane if you don't want to pop the rivets.

if you decide to try swapping panes, go here and download the diagram. From Tom's post. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ir-123701.html

You can see that to remove the inner pane you will need to pop all the rivets and remove the whole frame or cut the back of the frame so the window can be removed. I just wanted to be clear it will involve some work so you didn't feel mislead