Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 25' Tradewind
Pickering , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
1973 Airstream 25' Trade Wind Land Yacht - Window Seals

1973 Airstream 25' Trade Wind Land Yacht - Window Seals

The Window Seals on my 1973 25' Trade Wind Land Yacht are badly weathered and cracked.
Are replacements available on a window by window basis or does the weather stripping come by the foot?

What is involved in the replacement of same?

Regards,
Russ
__________________

__________________
sysgenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysgenss View Post
1973 Airstream 25' Trade Wind Land Yacht - Window Seals

The Window Seals on my 1973 25' Trade Wind Land Yacht are badly weathered and cracked.
Are replacements available on a window by window basis or does the weather stripping come by the foot?

What is involved in the replacement of same?

Regards,
Russ
The original double flared window gasket, is now replaced with a "D" shaped gasket.

We did some research on that change and found that the "D" gasket lasts longer and provides a better seal.

Many owners have switched to the new style gasket.

Window gasket comes by the foot, and is installed with "super weatherstrip adhesive" for maximum adhesion.

Replacing window gasket is easy and takes about 45 minutes per window.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
PizzaChop's Avatar
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 747
Images: 202
Quote:
Replacing window gasket is easy and takes about 45 minutes per window.
Removing the old gasket is a pain and will generally consume 20-30 minutes of that 45 unless you use something like a sanding disc. (I used a razor blade to remove the old and a light abrasive wheel to remove the leftover.)

Never used the "D" type though.
__________________
Ron Kaes
Psalm 112
www.paparonnis.com
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop View Post
Removing the old gasket is a pain and will generally consume 20-30 minutes of that 45 unless you use something like a sanding disc. (I used a razor blade to remove the old and a light abrasive wheel to remove the leftover.)

Never used the "D" type though.
Ah, but modern technology comes to the rescue.

Remove the window from the trailer.

Set it on a blanket thats on a table.

Take a knife and cut off what you can of the old gasket.

Shouldn't take you more than a minute to do that,

Here comes the tough part.

Place a small, like 3 inch or so, wire wheel in an electic drill. Have someone hold the window.

Burnish the rest of the gasket off. That gets rid of the old gasket, the old adhesive, and cleans the metal surface. That should take about 2 minutes.

Now your ready to replace the gasket, or have a cold one, your choice.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
PizzaChop's Avatar
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 747
Images: 202
Yeah, but you've got to be careful of the rivets which attach the hinge to the window frame as they grind down quickly. (found that out the hard way on the first unit)

Okay Andy, so where's the 45 minutes? Cutting the gasket, applying the adhesive (after cleaning off the first application which got out of control), or waiting for the brew to chill?

An electric drill is too few RPMs for my preference.
__________________
Ron Kaes
Psalm 112
www.paparonnis.com
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Ganglin's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,365
Images: 13
Doesn't 73 still have the dreaded C ring clips holding the shafts to the window frame...
__________________
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Doesn't 73 still have the dreaded C ring clips holding the shafts to the window frame...
Could be, or maybe the safety nuts.

Either way, replacement parts are available.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
Gypsy Jo's Avatar
 
1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 393
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 1
Ok since we are talking about windows I have question. I have a 77 Argosy Motorhome my windows slide open am looking to replace the fuzzy stuff they slide in any suggestions.
__________________
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 25' Tradewind
Pickering , Ontario
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
It may be better to post a new Thread as your talking of a completely different model Trailer & type of window.
__________________
sysgenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
Rivet Monster
 
wahoonc's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,174
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop View Post
Yeah, but you've got to be careful of the rivets which attach the hinge to the window frame as they grind down quickly. (found that out the hard way on the first unit)

Okay Andy, so where's the 45 minutes? Cutting the gasket, applying the adhesive (after cleaning off the first application which got out of control), or waiting for the brew to chill?

An electric drill is too few RPMs for my preference.

I used a brass wheel in my die grinder The remainder of the 45 minutes was consumed in going to the store to get more beer, because the "help" was drinking instead of working

Aaron
__________________
....so many Airstreams....so little time...
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Ganglin's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,365
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Could be, or maybe the safety nuts.

Either way, replacement parts are available.

Andy

So - if he shoots one of these rings off into space trying to get it off - your saying they are still available...? and, what about the paper thin washer that went with it....

__________________
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
So - if he shoots one of these rings off into space trying to get it off - your saying they are still available...? and, what about the paper thin washer that went with it....

It's not really needed, if you use a little silicone spray on the pivot point.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
PizzaChop's Avatar
 
1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 747
Images: 202
Quote:
The remainder of the 45 minutes was consumed in going to the store to get more beer, because the "help" was drinking instead of working
Aaron, in these challenging economic times, I suggest you find better help that requires less "compensation".
__________________

__________________
Ron Kaes
Psalm 112
www.paparonnis.com
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'76 Tradewind Land Yacht 25' Re-Do fastrob 1970-79 Tradewind 8 01-18-2010 07:54 PM
1973 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht 25' A/C Installation sysgenss Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 5 05-26-2009 12:23 PM
1973 Airstream 25' Trade Wind Land Yacht - Jalousie Windows Screen Fuzzy Pile Seal sysgenss Windows & Screens 1 05-25-2009 12:33 PM
1967 AIRSTREAM -land yacht-trade wind-camper-trailer NR eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 03-17-2009 09:20 AM
1967 AIRSTREAM - land yacht-trade wind-camper-trailer eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 03-17-2009 08:20 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.