Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 26' Overlander
1970 31' Sovereign
1971 25' Tradewind
Southwest , US
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
1970 Sovereign windows

Need a total of 7 windows for a recently acquired and much-abused 1970 Sovereign. Needed are the three front ones..left and right wings and center, rear center and 3 side ones measuring 30 1/2 X 22.

Actually need a zillion other things, but, for starters, a refrigerator access door (20 1/2 X 14 1/2), the Astrodome vent cap (25 1/2 X 14 1/2) and the latch for the rear access door top the list.

Any help greatly appreciated...
__________________

__________________
alexsany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
bullydogsmom's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
I don't believe that the front wind wings are available anymore,someone will correct me if I'm wrong, From what I've read on here they are also very hard to come across even used. Do you need the window frames or just the glass?

Annette
__________________

__________________
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
buckmaster's Avatar
 
1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 43
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 3
I also have a badly abused 1970 sovereign with missing windows I have toyed with the idea of putting in a jalouise next to the door to give it an eclectic look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	167_6711.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	79469  
__________________
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsany View Post
Need a total of 7 windows for a recently acquired and much-abused 1970 Sovereign. Needed are the three front ones..left and right wings and center, rear center and 3 side ones measuring 30 1/2 X 22.

Actually need a zillion other things, but, for starters, a refrigerator access door (20 1/2 X 14 1/2), the Astrodome vent cap (25 1/2 X 14 1/2) and the latch for the rear access door top the list.

Any help greatly appreciated...
All the windows are available, including the wing windows.

The reefer door may be a problem, but the astrodome and access door lock are available.

We are not allowed to say if we have them or not.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
I also have a badly abused 1970 sovereign with missing windows I have toyed with the idea of putting in a jalouise next to the door to give it an eclectic look.
If you install a jalousie window, you will regret even thinking about it.

Granted, it may look good.

But, you cannot stop them from leaking water into the coach. Next comes a rotten floor and or mold.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 26' Overlander
1970 31' Sovereign
1971 25' Tradewind
Southwest , US
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Will take a closer look at frames...

Thanks...
__________________
alexsany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Other year windows will fit a 70 up to at least 75. A 69 is a different animal. I have 75 windows in my 71. I would stay away from early 70s single pane. They are very thin and prone to unexpectedly shattering. While other year windows fit they are put together differently and the inside plastic trim is different so try and get that with the windows.

I may have some of what you are looking for but have to check. Keep in touch.
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
1966 26' Overlander
1970 31' Sovereign
1971 25' Tradewind
Southwest , US
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Other year windows will fit a 70 up to at least 75. A 69 is a different animal. I have 75 windows in my 71. I would stay away from early 70s single pane. They are very thin and prone to unexpectedly shattering. While other year windows fit they are put together differently and the inside plastic trim is different so try and get that with the windows.

I may have some of what you are looking for but have to check. Keep in touch.
Let me know if you do have any. Am located in NM also....email at lumatic@gafabian.com.

Thanks
__________________
alexsany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Other year windows will fit a 70 up to at least 75. A 69 is a different animal. I have 75 windows in my 71. I would stay away from early 70s single pane. They are very thin and prone to unexpectedly shattering. While other year windows fit they are put together differently and the inside plastic trim is different so try and get that with the windows.

I may have some of what you are looking for but have to check. Keep in touch.
The glass thickness from 1969 to 2008 is all the same.

In fact 66, 67 and 68 windows are the same thickness as well.

The 69 windows used a goofy hinge, but a 69 replacement window is exactly the same as a 74 window and those in between.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The glass thickness from 1969 to 2008 is all the same.

In fact 66, 67 and 68 windows are the same thickness as well.

The 69 windows used a goofy hinge, but a 69 replacement window is exactly the same as a 74 window and those in between.

Andy
I don't know about the other windows. But I know fur sure the wing windows on my 71 were single pane about 1/16" thick. I know this because they both blew out and I replaced them with double pane out of a 75, each pane was 3/16" thick. I'm still finding glass shards in my nooks and crannies.
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I don't know about the other windows. But I know fur sure the wing windows on my 71 were single pane about 1/16" thick. I know this because they both blew out and I replaced them with double pane out of a 75, each pane was 3/16" thick. I'm still finding glass shards in my nooks and crannies.
I was referring to opening windows only.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I was referring to opening windows only.

Andy
And I was referring to the wings only. Sorry, I should have been clearer. But thanks for answering the question I was wondering about, that is if the opening windows on my 71 were made of the same ridiculously thin glass.
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsany View Post
Let me know if you do have any. Am located in NM also....email at lumatic@gafabian.com.

Thanks
I sent you an email. But but is your email address above correct. Are you another me? The forums may be in trouble.
__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
And I was referring to the wings only. Sorry, I should have been clearer. But thanks for answering the question I was wondering about, that is if the opening windows on my 71 were made of the same ridiculously thin glass.
Yeah but, that ridiculously thin glass is all "tempered", making it far stronger that window glass.

People look amazed, when I take a curved window glass that we have for the 66, 67 and 68 Airstream, lay it on the floor, stand on it with two feet and straighten it out, then step off of it, and watch it go back to it's original shape, all without breaking.

Good stuff, that tempered glass.

And
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just bought a 1970 Sovereign michaelg02 1970 - 1973 Sovereign 4 12-31-2007 07:45 PM
Floorplan? Pics? 1970 Sovereign anybody? happydaze General Interior Topics 2 04-19-2006 01:32 PM
1970 Sovereign on Ebay happydaze 1970 - 1973 Sovereign 4 04-14-2006 12:53 AM
1970 Sovereign Interior MarkCinCLT General Interior Topics 5 08-15-2004 04:01 PM
1970 Sovereign furnace jyobp Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 1 02-22-2004 02:16 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.