Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1970 31' Sovereign
1971 25' Tradewind
Southwest , US
1970 Sovereign windows

Need a total of 7 windows for a recently acquired and much-abused 1970 Sovereign. Needed are the three front ones..left and right wings and center, rear center and 3 side ones measuring 30 1/2 X 22.

Actually need a zillion other things, but, for starters, a refrigerator access door (20 1/2 X 14 1/2), the Astrodome vent cap (25 1/2 X 14 1/2) and the latch for the rear access door top the list.

Any help greatly appreciated...
alexsany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
I don't believe that the front wind wings are available anymore,someone will correct me if I'm wrong, From what I've read on here they are also very hard to come across even used. Do you need the window frames or just the glass?

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
I also have a badly abused 1970 sovereign with missing windows I have toyed with the idea of putting in a jalouise next to the door to give it an eclectic look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	167_6711.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	79469  
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsany View Post
Need a total of 7 windows for a recently acquired and much-abused 1970 Sovereign. Needed are the three front ones..left and right wings and center, rear center and 3 side ones measuring 30 1/2 X 22.

Actually need a zillion other things, but, for starters, a refrigerator access door (20 1/2 X 14 1/2), the Astrodome vent cap (25 1/2 X 14 1/2) and the latch for the rear access door top the list.

Any help greatly appreciated...
All the windows are available, including the wing windows.

The reefer door may be a problem, but the astrodome and access door lock are available.

We are not allowed to say if we have them or not.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
I also have a badly abused 1970 sovereign with missing windows I have toyed with the idea of putting in a jalouise next to the door to give it an eclectic look.
If you install a jalousie window, you will regret even thinking about it.

Granted, it may look good.

But, you cannot stop them from leaking water into the coach. Next comes a rotten floor and or mold.

Andy
Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1970 31' Sovereign
1971 25' Tradewind
Southwest , US
Will take a closer look at frames...

Thanks...
Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Other year windows will fit a 70 up to at least 75. A 69 is a different animal. I have 75 windows in my 71. I would stay away from early 70s single pane. They are very thin and prone to unexpectedly shattering. While other year windows fit they are put together differently and the inside plastic trim is different so try and get that with the windows.

I may have some of what you are looking for but have to check. Keep in touch.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1970 31' Sovereign
1971 25' Tradewind
Southwest , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Other year windows will fit a 70 up to at least 75. A 69 is a different animal. I have 75 windows in my 71. I would stay away from early 70s single pane. They are very thin and prone to unexpectedly shattering. While other year windows fit they are put together differently and the inside plastic trim is different so try and get that with the windows.

Let me know if you do have any. Am located in NM also....email at lumatic@gafabian.com.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

The glass thickness from 1969 to 2008 is all the same.

In fact 66, 67 and 68 windows are the same thickness as well.

The 69 windows used a goofy hinge, but a 69 replacement window is exactly the same as a 74 window and those in between.

Andy
Old 05-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The glass thickness from 1969 to 2008 is all the same.

In fact 66, 67 and 68 windows are the same thickness as well.

The 69 windows used a goofy hinge, but a 69 replacement window is exactly the same as a 74 window and those in between.

Andy
I don't know about the other windows. But I know fur sure the wing windows on my 71 were single pane about 1/16" thick. I know this because they both blew out and I replaced them with double pane out of a 75, each pane was 3/16" thick. I'm still finding glass shards in my nooks and crannies.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I don't know about the other windows. But I know fur sure the wing windows on my 71 were single pane about 1/16" thick. I know this because they both blew out and I replaced them with double pane out of a 75, each pane was 3/16" thick. I'm still finding glass shards in my nooks and crannies.
I was referring to opening windows only.

Andy
Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I was referring to opening windows only.

Andy
And I was referring to the wings only. Sorry, I should have been clearer. But thanks for answering the question I was wondering about, that is if the opening windows on my 71 were made of the same ridiculously thin glass.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsany View Post
Let me know if you do have any. Am located in NM also....email at lumatic@gafabian.com.

Thanks
I sent you an email. But but is your email address above correct. Are you another me? The forums may be in trouble.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
And I was referring to the wings only. Sorry, I should have been clearer. But thanks for answering the question I was wondering about, that is if the opening windows on my 71 were made of the same ridiculously thin glass.
Yeah but, that ridiculously thin glass is all "tempered", making it far stronger that window glass.

People look amazed, when I take a curved window glass that we have for the 66, 67 and 68 Airstream, lay it on the floor, stand on it with two feet and straighten it out, then step off of it, and watch it go back to it's original shape, all without breaking.

Good stuff, that tempered glass.

And
Old 05-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Yeah but, that ridiculously thin glass is all "tempered", making it far stronger that window glass.

People look amazed, when I take a curved window glass that we have for the 66, 67 and 68 Airstream, lay it on the floor, stand on it with two feet and straighten it out, then step off of it, and watch it go back to it's original shape, all without breaking.

Good stuff, that tempered glass.

And
I don't want to hijack this thread but I guess, though discussed before, this is relevant. After being rescued from sitting in a NM field for 25 years, my 71 on the second day of it's maiden voyage had a wing window inexplicably disintegrate. The next day the other one did the same. No previous visible damage. No rocks, etc. Andy offered the only explanation which according to Ockham's Razor is the only explanation. This tempered glass though extremely strong in resisting major trauma over time is prone to shattering for little or no reason.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I don't want to hijack this thread but I guess, though discussed before, this is relevant. After being rescued from sitting in a NM field for 25 years, my 71 on the second day of it's maiden voyage had a wing window inexplicably disintegrate. The next day the other one did the same. No previous visible damage. No rocks, etc. Andy offered the only explanation which according to Ockham's Razor is the only explanation. This tempered glass though extremely strong in resisting major trauma over time is prone to shattering for little or no reason.
Many times, when an Airstream with tempered glass, is parked for a long time, especially when sand and dirt can blow on it, and then is moved to a different location, some of the windows, especially the wing windows blow.

There seems to be a pretty valid reason, but tough to document.

Tempered glass, is tempered on the surface only, as described by glass companies.

Tempered glass when it's surface has been etched by blowing dirt or sand, will shatter, in time, when exposed to a different degree of heat from the sun.

That has happened hundreds of times.

That etching, normally, is invisible to the naked eye.

Tempered glass however, is like "life" itself.

You never know "when."

That might explain the loss of your wing windows.

Andy
Old 07-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1970 31' Sovereign
1971 25' Tradewind
Southwest , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
I don't believe that the front wind wings are available anymore,someone will correct me if I'm wrong, From what I've read on here they are also very hard to come across even used. Do you need the window frames or just the glass?

Annette
Annette,

You ask whether frame or glass...do you know where it's possible to get just the glass?