Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
gainesville , Florida
1969 Tradewind side window replacement

The side curved window next to the door broke in my 1969 Tradewind and I purchased a replacement window. This included the frame and is manufactured at the Airstream factory. I switched out the hinge from the original window as directed. This window is 1/4 inch too tall. In other words the bottom edge on the window overlaps and does not fit into the window frame. I took the hinge off and the window does not fit properly into the stationary window opening. I spoke with the supplier and they state that's the way is comes from the factory! Seems crazy that Airstream would manufacture a window that doesn't fit properly!
Has anyone else had this issue or any ideas on how to remedy it?
jrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Everybody has issues with 1969s, they are different from any other year. You'll probably have to make it work.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You could also take the window frames apart on both windows, have a glass company sand down the new glass to fit the old frame and then reassemble. 69's were a year in transition and had many parts (like windows) that would only fit on a 69.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The 69 trailer "square bottom corner" windows are problematic. It sounds like you are doing all the right steps, but your supplier let you down. I think Aerowood has a plausible solution.

We had one of the wing windows shatter overnight in the son's 69 Globetrotter. Maybe the previous damage to the exterior skins stressed the glass somehow. Some folks install 1970 and later double round corner windows as they are much more available and at a much lower cost. But it involves some patching to the exterior skins. My son simply made a Lexan plastic glass to fit. It's been in there over a year now.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1605 Broken Wing Window (Small).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	300497  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I broke the front street side window on my 1969 Safari. I ordered a replacement from Inland RV - I recommend you call them directly and make sure it is what you need along with measurements because they had a few options for the 1969 model year. The window got here and it was exactly the same as the broken window and came in a full frame. Just like you did I had the old hinge removed and buck riveted on the new window. About $1,000 later for labor and parts I had a brand new window which fits the opening precisely. You should not have to "make it work".
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
the Glass is Tempered/Hardened probably slightly curved (it is in my 1970) ... the odds are extremely good it will explode if you try sanding it down ... I owned a glass shop for 40 years and have tried it for several people "at their risk" almost 100% exploded .... especially taking a 1/4" off.... much easier to adjust the hole i would think....or find another.
I broke mine last year and so far its just been replaced with Lexan ...most people would never notice but lexan will scratch more over time..... but never break!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Agree with Rucos - Lexan / Plexiglass is a great option and, if you take the time and have the skill and tools to do ir right, should fit into the existing frame and cost a fraction of a new window. I don't have the patience, skill nor tools. I understand that plexiglass was used in the earlier model trailers as well as WWII B-17 bombers and other aircraft due to lighter weight and no dangerous sharp shards if broken. The window I got for my 1969 is slightly curved top to bottom and is tempered - it took quite a bit to break the original one and it exploded into thousands of tiny bits.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My son and I have no skills, no tools, and little patience. But he did get the hole filed with Lexan in a couple of hours. He caulked it up and went camping. Cost was about $40 for the plastic.

David
Old 12-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Hi dbj - yes agree. I did the same thing since the window got broken when I was pulling it out of its storage spot so we could go camping the next day. Like you I made a quick visit to the local big box home store and got some plexiglass and gorilla tape and made a quick fix so we could get out and have a few nights out in the trailer. $40 sounds about right. Afterward I briefly considered using the original window frame and inserting a section of plexiglass actually into the frame which would have required drilling out the buck rivets (not easy - needs a drill press), making a template to cut the plastic, carefully cutting the plastic to the template (somehow also accounting for the slight curve) and then buck riveting the frame back together without scratching or cracking the plastic, etc.. That's the part that I don't have the skill or equipment to do and certainly not the patience. In the end if I counted my own time and rental or purchase of the right equipment it would have been about the same cost either way.

>> re: putting gorilla tape on the outside of the airstream, yes, I knew it would leave adhesive on the outside and I figured on spending 30 minutes with goo-gone when I took the tape off to put the new window in - I needed the plastic to hold on at highway speeds and also if it rained. re: goo-gone - it's a 69 and it's been through a few wars in its life (I grew up with this trailer) and the aluminum - at least on the 69's - handles goo gone just fine
Old 12-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I'll add that there is a little drill fixture that allows centering of the drill bit on a 5/32 bucked rivet and provides for drilling out the rivet. It does other sizes too.
It works quite well. Your family 69 may need one of these some day.

David

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-497.htm
Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #11
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Keep in mind that plexi will break if hit ....lexan is virtually unbreakable ... mine was the push out window beside the door and removing the vent and installing the lexan was a pain... but when it was done you couldn't tell the difference unless you looked hard and knew what to look for.
Also Lexan can take a lot of abuse trying to fit it into the frame because of the curve. Plexi probably would have cracked on me.
Kdikinson.... very cool that your rig has been in the family that long!!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #12

Boise , Idaho
Identifying '69 Overlander window parts

Hi all
I have a 27' 1969 airstream overlander international that I'm slowly fixing up. I have these awning windows with bars on both sides that raise and lower the wondow. They move up and down through slits on either side of the window. I'm trying to replace the sealing gaskets that go around the slit. I have looked a bit online and can't find any pictures or diagrams of these things to order replacements, or even what they are called. Can anyone help with sourcing replacement parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6240.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	312178  
tafar1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
It's called Fuzzy Seal. Vintage Trailer Supply sells it. Look under Window Screens and Frames.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote