Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Doug - for me - I decided this is the way to go to help seal the windows by that upper hinge. I calculated what I needed for my 68 Sovereign, and found I was going to waste a lot of this stuff (due to what I needed for each window) if I bought the 60" (5') length. I found a longer roll - but it seems there is "old" stuff out there as well as newer inventory. According to Scotch 3M's own site - the product we need ( and that Aluminumim specified - which is the 10 lb hold which is the exterior tape) is product # 411/DC. There is a long roll of this product (450" or 37.5') made with the product code of 411-Long/DC . Amazon has the old stock of these. On Scotch's site - the newer version will have a diagonal banner across the right top side that will read "hangs up to 10 lbs..." - NOT the 5lb version. BEST PRICE I could find here locally (St. Paul, MN area) was an unbelievable $15.58 cost on a 1"x 450" roll of this stuff - and that was at Walmart! I'm getting a roll tomorrow! Good luck with your leaks!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I'm in Denver and noticed my son's 69 Globetrotter has the same extruded drip rails, or "eyebrows" over his windows as my 86, and likely the same as a brand new Airstream. The 69 has the new window design. I think Airstream has been using drip rails for a long time. I wonder if the 68 Globetrotter was an early "prototype" of a drip rail before everything changed with the new body in 1969. The 68 is a California built trailer. Maybe each factory had different ideas at that time.

I wonder if drip rails was an Airstream response to all the window leak issues of the 66 -68 design.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1009 Curbside.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	216521  

Old 02-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Hi Cheetah, Great looking rig. I have a '68 Sov 30 as well though it doesn't have the Vista View windows. Did you ever figure out a good replacement to those plastic gasket/mouldings in your first picture? I have the same problem and am looking for an answer. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Hi BuffaloJoe! Yes, we actually did find the window gasket that worked great! We found it at Vintage Trailer Supply and it is called "1966-68 Airstream Fixed Window Interior Glazing" on their website! Good luck with your project!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Oh man, that is awesome. Thank you! As much as I love my Sovereign, I'm really jealous of those Vista View windows! ;-)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
You're welcome and good luck with those windows! We hope to finish our windows up when the weather finally warms here so things aren't as brittle. Since we both have a 1968 30 ft Sovereign, shouldn't our layouts be the same? Were there optional layouts for that year?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah1 View Post
You're welcome and good luck with those windows! We hope to finish our windows up when the weather finally warms here so things aren't as brittle. Since we both have a 1968 30 ft Sovereign, shouldn't our layouts be the same? Were there optional layouts for that year?
Hi again, I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I found the brochure on 1968 Airstreams with all of the layouts here:

http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...73d453df75.pdf

I have an International Sovereign 30 with the twin beds (I have two boys), so it has a few more goodies. But there was no mention of the Vista View windows. Mine was a park model in BC for about 20 years, so it was in good shape. I've had (and still need) to do some plumbing work and I got rid of the Univolt II. I tried to put a 10-gallon water heater in, but the drain pipe from the kitchen sink is in the way. There's a 6 there now, but I'm still working on how to get that 10 to fit.

I think I was able to attach a code of the serial numbers in case you're interested and if you haven't seen it already.

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Serial Numbers Pre-1980.pdf (16.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
No worries! We also have the International 1968 Sovereign with the double beds. However, I don't know why we have the vista view windows??? We just got our trailer last year.

I ran into exactly the same problem that you did trying to replace that old leaky 10 gal water heater with a new water heater. My kitchen drain pipes were in the way also. So - I installed a SPECIAL Atwood 6 gallon water heater, Model # GE9EXT - that gives you an equivalent 9 gal water heater in a 6 gallon size. Look it up at Vintage Trailer Supply. My part # was VTS-75 Atwood GE9EXT 90071. My wife and I both like longer hot showers and this water heater delivers!! It gives you the equivalent of 9 gallons in the 6 gallon size! Might be the answer to what you re trying to accomplish.

We had to gut the entire rear washroom due to floor rot that occurred over decades - primarily due to a leak in the rear window as well as water "pouring" in from the access hatch on the rear exterior of the trailer. It boggles my mind that Airstream designed that rear hatch to drain into the rear compartment!!! We found a local sheet metal worker/welder that was willing to work with us and we found a way to insure that water no longer enter into the trailer via that rear access hatch where you would normally store a black water dump hose, your electrical cord, and etc. With that old water ingress issue permanently solved, we are in the process of replacing that bathroom floor and remodeling the bathroom. As we plan to do some "boondocking", we replaced the black water tank with a gray water tank (since this Airstream had no grey water tank) and easily routed all the grey water into that tank - also purchased from Vintage Trailer Supply). We have no need for a black water tank as we are retrofitting the bathroom with the highest rated composting toilet out there (Natures Head)! It will allow us never to have to worry about emptying a black water tank! In fact, the only item in the original bathroom we are going to keep is the bathtub/shower tub, since it seems to be the best fixture available on the market for that combo. We pulled everything else out of the bathroom ( and will be selling all those items), in order to give us a custom bathroom in out Airstream.

Again, I wish you luck with your remodel. Don'y hesitate to email if you have a question!

Chester
Old 04-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Oakland , California
what are the exact dimensions for the fixed stack windows? 29" x 9.5"?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
HI! I just found your message. I checked the measurements and found that the 29" x9.5" that you posted are an exact fit - but as I have found out with these Airstreams - things seem to differ from window to window and trailer to trailer! When I did mine, I believe I remember that the actual glass (which is now covered with a trim piece was actually about an 1/8' less ( i.e. 28 7/8" x 9 3/8") which I was grateful for since the fit was a lot easier.

Good luck with your project!

Tags
1968, sovereign