Old 06-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
1968 Flat Front Window Question

I will be replacing the missing flat front window for my 1968 Sovereign. Vintage Trailer Supply was out of these but they gave me the specs and I had a local glass company make some.

I have all of the parts . . . I think . . . except for the metal trim that goes on the two sides and the bottom. It may go on the top too, but if it does I think I have the old one above the ragged glass that's still there from the very top of the previous window.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I could get this trim or a good substitute? I am having a local rv shop do the install. We were looking at the situation and wondering about that one aspect of the job--the missing metal trim.

Thx for any ideas.

Former full-timer (2007-2009). Visit my Airstream tribute blog.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Metal window edging

The '66, and '67 trailers windows came without that metal (aluminum) edge moulding. It is only three sided. The top edge of the glass goes into the glass clamp/hinge. You have type 3 windows. Look on VintageTrailerSupply.com under replacement window tab and you will find the installation guide for all three types of windows for '66,'67 and '68 year trailers. (This may help your RV shop to do the install). Do not use silicone to hold the glass in the clamp/hinge instead use butyl tape or glazing tape and double faced tape. It will hold longer as silicone doesn't stick to aluminum very well. Use the search fuction here to locate threads like replacing Corning glass windows. It will explain a lot for you. As far as the trim moulding goes you can buy new moulding from InlandRV.com or perhaps VTS sells it now. If you are in need of older moulding to match what is already on your other windows let me know. Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Ditto

Yes, ditto to what BIGED52 posted. No frames on any glass in those years. Check that, I think a thin frame like a car door chip protection may have been an option. Check the other windows to understand the assembly.

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahredrock
I will be replacing the missing flat front window for my 1968 Sovereign. Vintage Trailer Supply was out of these but they gave me the specs and I had a local glass company make some.

I have all of the parts . . . I think . . . except for the metal trim that goes on the two sides and the bottom. It may go on the top too, but if it does I think I have the old one above the ragged glass that's still there from the very top of the previous window.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I could get this trim or a good substitute? I am having a local rv shop do the install. We were looking at the situation and wondering about that one aspect of the job--the missing metal trim.

Thx for any ideas.
We had several hundred 66, 67 and 68 windows made for us.

They exceed the original specs.

Best prices too.

We also have the metal trim strips for the 68's that can also be used on the 66 and 67's as well.

Andy
Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
I called your store and they said the don't have the metal trim for glass, just lexan . . . . hopefully she was just confused. ??

; )
Former full-timer (2007-2009). Visit my Airstream tribute blog.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
window trim

Jim, The trim you need is different than the Lexan trim that Inland currently sells but you may be able to adapt it to you front glass. It will depend on the thickness of the glass you had made. Is it 1/8th inch thick glass? If glas is less than that thickness it should work. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Andy, do you happen to have the side glass windows for a 66' Overlander as well?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, what I'm kinda confused about is that some of the windows on our 67 had the metal trim strips and some didn't. Were they just lost? Are they structurally important?

L
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
The trim from inland does not work on glass, at least not the glass from VTS. It works on lexan. I replaced two windows and have left the trim off until I can have some made locally. It is not structural, only decorative, and needn't stop the window replacement process if you don't have it now.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Glass edge mouldings

Lynn, I think that at some point your PO may have had to replace lost/broken windows with what ever they could find. Remember, this glass was not available except from salvage yards for almost 40 years. As long as all your windows seal against the weather I wouldn't concern myself with trim or no trim. I know that they look different but function is the key here. Also "why fix it if it ain't broke"... As my dad would always say! I have some of the older trim on plexi windows that I have replaced on my '67 because glass seals better. I've kept it so if a glass window breaks I'll have a spare to use while I order new glass. I know that the trim from Inland won't fit the VTS glass that is 1/8th inch thick but when I ordered my windows from Steve I had the choice of 3 different thickness sizes to choose from IIRC. The trim moulding should fit on thinner glass. Andy may only sell original dimesion glass which might very well be able to use the trim mouldings that Inland sells. I think the original glass from Corning was 1/32nd of an inch smaller (thinner) than the new 1/8th inch glass. Ed
Old 06-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dureedesign
Andy, do you happen to have the side glass windows for a 66' Overlander as well?
We have the 66,67 and 68 tempered glass windows for the front and rear (which is the same dimensions) and the small, medium and large curved tempered glass for the sides.

We do not have tempered glass replacements for the 66,67 and 68 stack or vista view windows.

Andy

Tags