Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Taylors , South Carolina
1967 Tradewind rear window glass bar missing

after removing a caulked in piece of glass from the back window of our 1967 Tradewind it seems we are missing a glass bar. we think we have the rest of the mechanism from looking at the other windows. the glass bar arm is there but not attached to anything. we also have a hinge that moves up and down. we believe we have a type 2 where the hinge remains on the frame and the one-piece glass bar can be removed. and it was removed and is now missing. hoping for some help on where to buy a glass bar so we can reinstall a window. Brad is fairly handy and thinks he could possibly make something but hoping that won't be necessary. but advice along those lines would also be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
1967 glass bar

How lucky! 1967 Tradewind is close to the smartest Airstream ever built.

Best solution is to find the missing bar. It might take a long or short while for one to surface, but they're out there.

Making the bar isn't impossible. I've contemplated this, and concluded that I could rip it all out of a piece of bar-stock on a tablesaw.

So, if you cannot wait, and have the interest, making good enough clamp-bar wouldn't be impossible.

If I were faced with your situation, and had original glass in front, I'd use the front window glass and bar to replace the rear, then find/make another bar-clamp, replace the front glass with UV-proof Polycarbonate, Polymethyl methacrylate, or the wonder plastic du jour, and have no need for the front window rock-guard...

There is not much agreement on the mis-understanding of the 66-68 windows, Others will surely advise.

Best Wishes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 window.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	230556  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I saw your ad in classifieds. I also think Airstream used parts suppliers might be able to help you. Silver Trailer Supply in Salt Lake City has helped me with a cargo door. And there is a RV salvage yard in Waterloo, Iowa, that has helped other Airstreamers.

As Aluminuminum mentioned above. The job of holding glass in is a whole lot easier if you don't mind the window not opening. In my view, the rear bath window is a Wally Byam insistence that the trailer has rear view mirror "see through" capability for safer towing. Most folks have blinds, shades, curtains, tint and sometime all four covering the rear bathroom window anyhoo. And the vent provides the ventilation.

We use the front window and almost never open the rear bath window.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Taylors , South Carolina
Thank you. We are still hoping to find the glass bar so we appreciate the suggestions on where to look!

Brad and Sheree
Old 01-19-2015, 04:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
How lucky! 1967 Tradewind is close to the smartest Airstream ever built.

Best solution is to find the missing bar. It might take a long or short while for one to surface, but they're out there.

Making the bar isn't impossible. I've contemplated this, and concluded that I could rip it all out of a piece of bar-stock on a tablesaw.

So, if you cannot wait, and have the interest, making good enough clamp-bar wouldn't be impossible.

If I were faced with your situation, and had original glass in front, I'd use the front window glass and bar to replace the rear, then find/make another bar-clamp, replace the front glass with UV-proof Polycarbonate, Polymethyl methacrylate, or the wonder plastic du jour, and have no need for the front window rock-guard...

There is not much agreement on the mis-understanding of the 66-68 windows, Others will surely advise.

Best Wishes...

Thank you! Still hoping to find the part we do like the idea of saving on the rock guard so that is a good option

Brad and Sheree
Old 01-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi, I was looking at the glass bars on my 66 Trade Wind. It's a pretty fancy aluminum extrusion.

I wonder if a neighborhood machine shop couldn't fabricate one from a solid chunk of aluminum square barstock. Several passes under a milling machine is all it would take. It is not precision, except for the groove where the glass fits. If I were to break one or loose one, I might try a machine shop. Yep, it would cost a couple "benjamins" but I would have a new, rare glass bar.

David
Old 01-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Taylors , South Carolina
Thanks David! We will check around Greenville for machine shops.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Yeah, maybe you can disassemble another window from your trailer. No need to take the glass out, just take the glass bar and glass out together. Then you can measure up the glass bar as well as the thickness of the glass you will put back into the glass bar. I understand new glass is a bit thicker than the original stuff. Vintage Trailer Supply sells replacement glass for our trailers. Maybe a machine shop should see the glass bar before they quote a machined one.

David
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Yup, the “see-thru” feature is great. I can look thru the GT and identify the make and model of the vehicle behind me. That's why I don't want a rock guard obscuring my front window. Being able to judge the behavior of the vehicle behind me seems more important than protecting the front glass which has somehow survived 47 years of travel.

Maybe someday all the knowledge of these '66-'68 windows will be in one thread and have some agreement. Already, I see the image I posted is an early '67, or '66 glass bar (type I), and not pertinent to your trailer.
So, it seems best not to identify them by year, and only say the series. I don't know if the series II(c'67) clamp-bar is the same as the series III(c'68) clamp bar, There is supposed to be a difference in “the windows” from '67 to '68, but it might only be the stainless steel glass edge.

I've handled the one piece series I glass-bar, and the two piece series III glass-bar, but never the series II two piece glass-bar, so I cannot say. Someone must know if the series II clamp-bar is the same as series III clamp-bar.... If they are the same, it'll broaden your search.

Images are of the series I, one-piece extrusion, which I removed the factory siliconed in glass, intact, from the channel with great difficulty, compared with the series III two piece glass-bar on my 1968. My 1968 definitely used foam tape on the clamping surface.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2691.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	230763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2631.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	230764  

Name:	DSC_1717.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	230765  
Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Was looking for parts and came across this Double window extrusion

Hope this helps you
Old 01-24-2015, 05:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks DFlores, it is helpful to know Silver Trailer Supply carries this "series 2" extrusion. I think it's for the 68 trailers and maybe some late 67s. I've ordered a couple of used parts from Silver Trailer before and have had good luck. Their new website is much enhanced since the last time I visited.

Maybe this source will help bradanshree.

David
Old 01-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Double extrusion

Bradnsheree, The link above posted by DFlores is the correct one for series Type II and Type III glass clamp/hinge assemblies on the '67 & '68 model year trailers. The single extrusion would be for the '66 model year. From what I see there you will get both the hinge and the clamp so you will end up with a spare hinge part. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thanks to all...
This is good to know, that the series II and series III might be identical in all respects aside from the stainless edging on '68 glass.
So, why the SS edge?? Aesthetics? Glass edge chip protection? UV light protection of seals when closed? Unlike the rounded and ground glass edges of series I and II, those squared metal series III corners will rip your skull like an old can-opener.

The extrusions being sold by AIRSTREAM SUPPLY appear to still require millwork on the ends so that they will close into the jambs. There is some confusion in the part numbers listed and the descriptions, so that should be clarified. The price is a bit painful, but hen's teeth are expensive. It's admirable that they went to the trouble to make these glass-bars available.

It's good that all the parts for these windows can be sourced. That should reduce the stigma they carry.

btw,

I ordered a few of VTS replacement sill winder-claws and found that every piece of the mechanism is exactly interchangeable with the original Philips. The logo on the stainless cover says VTS, and the profile of the knob is different, but I used my original covers and knobs. Great deal for twenty bucks ea.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Stainless Edge Trim '68 Models

ALUM...., The reason for the trim added to the '68 glass windows was for two issues. First was to make the windows more visible when open so people passing near the sides or rear of the trailer would no longer run into the edges of the open windows! (This was a big issue with the '66 & '67 models as others in the surrounding parking sites/spaces were cut or otherwise injured when their heads came into contact with the glass edges or to help keep the glass from being broken or knocked out of the glass clamp/hinge by coming in contact with the offending noggins)! And Second it was felt that the trim pieces caused a better seal against the old rubber window gaskets to help prevent water leaks! Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlores View Post
Was looking for parts and came across this Double window extrusion

Hope this helps you

This is perfect! Thank you!!!

Brad and Sheree
Old 01-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Taylors , South Carolina
Thanks to everyone! This is great information and I think we will order the part from airstream supply. Very happy to have this forum available for newbies like us!

Brad and Sheree

Tags