Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #1

1960 18' "Footer"
demotte , Indiana
1967 caravel window removal

I need to replace the window seals on a 1967 caravel. I don't know how to remove the windows to make the project easier. Any suggestions?
hotroddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ah, the seals on our 67 windows are not attached to the windows themselves, but into the recessed frame. In other words, there's no need to remove the windows just to replace the seals.

Or am I all wet in understanding your question?

Lynn
Old 12-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
You really don't need to remove the windows and I would not if unless there is a lot of old silicone or other sealer along the top On my 68 TW the window removal was a little different that what I had seen on the forums. On mine at each top corner there is a little L-shaped piece of aluminum that sits in the frame, the other edge is along the side of the frame and extends up just a little. This is a "stop" that prevents the window from sliding out. Don't try and bend this tab, remove the seal in the corner and work the piece out by pulling down. It will be stuck but careful prying with a putty knife will get it loosen and pull out. Only need to remove the stop on one side. When you have done that you can detach the opener arm, raise the window to the horizontal and gently slide it out. To reinstall, just slide it back in. Put a dab of weatherstrip glue on the little aluminum stop and slide it back in. The new seal will cover the stop when you put it in.
Sorry I don't have pics.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddude View Post
I need to replace the window seals on a 1967 caravel. I don't know how to remove the windows to make the project easier. Any suggestions?
The proper method to replace thet window gasket on all 1966, 1967 and 1968 Airstreams, is to simply open the window as wide as possible.

Remove the old gasket from the window frame that's riveted into the shell, best you can with a putty knife.

Using an electric drill, with a small (2") or so wire wheel, burnish off the remainder of the old gasket.

Install a bead of adhesive to the backside of the gasket, and to the window frame. When the beads are dry to the touch, about 10 minutes or so, carefully install the gasket. Use 3M's "super weatherstrip" adhesive, as is does a top job. The yellow adhesive does not have the bonding strength that the black adhesive does.

Make sure the gasket is as high on the window frame as possibe.

DO NOT mitre the lower corners of the gasket, as you place the gasket down one side, accross the bottom, and up the other side.

When finished, closed the window on the gasket, which will help the gasket seal. Open the window in a couple of days, and generously spray the new gasket with silicone spray. Again, close the window, leaving it closed for a couple of more days. After that, open the windows and wipe off the excess silicone spray.

Now the job is complete.

You can use the same procedure installing new gaskets on the entrance door and the access doors.

When your in the gasket replacing mood, make sure that you replace the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, if so equipped, as they only last 2 to 3 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I would add to Andy's post. Wire brushes are OK but can be aggressive and you have to be careful not to touch the sides of your trailer. I replaced all the windows in my Trade Wind and had lots of opportunity to "experiment" getting the old gasket glue off. I found that using scotch-brite bobs ( HD had them) on my Dremel tool worked best. It quickly removed the glue, did not scratch and was also great to remove the surface corrosion on the window sills.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, 1967 caravel, caravel