Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
1963 Hehr Windows

I am amidst replacing the window gaskets, and the glazing beads on my 1963 Overlander.
So far it's been a very frustrating experience. The gasket around teh inner perimeter frame is apparently glued in place from the factory, and comes out in little tiny fragments, leaving much glue and residue in the very narrow outer gasket channel.
Is there some extra toxic, highly explosive, super harmful chemical know to forum members that will dissolve this residue?
I tried dental picks and bent screwdrivers, but nothing really works very well.
My plan is to replace the inner gasket, and the outer glazing bead on these windows.
The glazing bead as well is a very tight fit, almost impossible to install without some silicone spray or equivalent.
I purchased gross amounts of the window gasket and the glazing bead from Airstreamdreams.com already.
Anyone with hot tips that saves time and aggravation will be in my will......
Old 06-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Gasket and glue remover

I have be told the De-sol-it, sold by ACE Hardware stores, will do the job for you. When I work on old airplanes I always go back to MEK for tough stuff. (BE CAREFUL IF USE MEK...........absorbtion thru breathing and skin contact is very dangerous.)

Really like you work!
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Is that a gasket remover, or a general adhesive remover?
What is MEK? I like the sound of that!
I believe that I am chemically challenged - my expertise ends at silicone spray and engine degreaser.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (2-Butanone)
Really really bad stuff if used incorrectly.

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylet.html
  • Methyl ethyl ketone is used as a solvent. Acute (short-term) inhalation exposure to methyl ethyl ketone in humans results in irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat. Limited information is available on the chronic (long-term) effects of methyl ethyl ketone in humans.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
Methyl Ethyl Ketone (2-Butanone)
Really really bad stuff if used incorrectly.

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylet.html
  • Methyl ethyl ketone is used as a solvent. Acute (short-term) inhalation exposure to methyl ethyl ketone in humans results in irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat. Limited information is available on the chronic (long-term) effects of methyl ethyl ketone in humans.
It's probably not even available in Cailfornia. The EPA here is very restrictive. Can't even get a touch up paint pen for my motorcycle. "Not EPA approved" my dealer says.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Uwe ~

Shoot us a picture of this gasket material that's causing you grief. I know the stuff I bought to hold the window in place required a small amount of trimming with an Xacto knife to get it to fit. I purchased mine from another source. Still holding strong after four years.

I love your work too.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Uwe ~

Shoot us a picture of this gasket material that's causing you grief. I know the stuff I bought to hold the window in place required a small amount of trimming with an Xacto knife to get it to fit. I purchased mine from another source. Still holding strong after four years.

I love your work too.

Brad
FF
Brad,
The new gaskets seem to be fine, although difficult to install.
What is giving me grief is the fact that on my trailer someone used adhesive of some sort to install the gasket that is on the stationary part of the window.
I will try and take a picture Monday, so we can talk turkey.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Weird but it works

Several years ago I had to remove a product from a boat keel that was installed using one of 3M's very best industrial adhesives. When I contacted the company whose product I was removing about how to get the old adhesive off they recommended a product called - Absolutely Orange Citrus. It is an automotive air freshener and odor eliminator made by Smile Aromatics in Michigan City, Indiana. I have been using it ever since then with great results to take off adhesives that industrial solvents such as MEK and acetone would not touch.

It's only a couple dollars a bottle and I usually buy it at Walmart in the automotive section. No big warnings on the bottle but there are some things you can't spray it on.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
Several years ago I had to remove a product from a boat keel that was installed using one of 3M's very best industrial adhesives. When I contacted the company whose product I was removing about how to get the old adhesive off they recommended a product called - Absolutely Orange Citrus. It is an automotive air freshener and odor eliminator made by Smile Aromatics in Michigan City, Indiana. I have been using it ever since then with great results to take off adhesives that industrial solvents such as MEK and acetone would not touch.

It's only a couple dollars a bottle and I usually buy it at Walmart in the automotive section. No big warnings on the bottle but there are some things you can't spray it on.
Thank you! I will get a bottle and try it.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I am amidst replacing the window gaskets, and the glazing beads on my 1963 Overlander.
So far it's been a very frustrating experience. The gasket around teh inner perimeter frame is apparently glued in place from the factory, and comes out in little tiny fragments, leaving much glue and residue in the very narrow outer gasket channel.
Is there some extra toxic, highly explosive, super harmful chemical know to forum members that will dissolve this residue?
I tried dental picks and bent screwdrivers, but nothing really works very well.
My plan is to replace the inner gasket, and the outer glazing bead on these windows.
The glazing bead as well is a very tight fit, almost impossible to install without some silicone spray or equivalent.
I purchased gross amounts of the window gasket and the glazing bead from Airstreamdreams.com already
Anyone with hot tips that saves time and aggravation will be in my will......
Uwe,

Can you measure the width of the channel. I have a variety of hand engraving tools that I use when making jewelry ( custom goldsmith for 30+ years) that might do the job of getting out what the citrus stuff leaves behind. I could 'lend' you one or 2 to complete your task. They are like mini chisels.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:05 AM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Uwe,

Can you measure the width of the channel. I have a variety of hand engraving tools that I use when making jewelry ( custom goldsmith for 30+ years) that might do the job of getting out what the citrus stuff leaves behind. I could 'lend' you one or 2 to complete your task. They are like mini chisels.
I will measure the channel as well as take some pictures on Monday. Thanks for the offer!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I'm about to redo the rest of my windows. So I'm sure I'll be adding comments soon. The first window I did was not easy. If you remember I broke the glass on my first try.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags