Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Wow! Does my door work great now.

I bought a 2004 22ft ccd a while back and the door was a real pain. You had to slam it very hard for it to close. It sounded bad. So i had a closer look. I made sure trailer was completely level before starting.I removed the door post which is the post sticking out of the door jam where the door latches to . There was really no adjustment to that but i could put a washer spacer behind it so it protruded a bit more. That helped. Under closer examination i noticed that the post was not perfectly lined up with the center of the latch mechanism. There is no adjustment for that , that i could see. So i had a look at the hinges. The hinges are in excellent condition but doors do sag after time especially in a trailer that is rattling around on the highway.So i decided to lift up on the door as i swung it from side to side to see if i had some wiggle room to maybe stick a shim under the hinges. Yup. I had about 1 mm or a light 1/16 of an inch to play with under the hinge. I made a stainless steel shim out of a stainless 5/16 washer and cut a slot in the washer so i could slide this shim under the hinge and around the hinge pin where i had generated a gap by lifting the door.I then with 2 screw drivers tapped both sides of the washer so it crimped around the hinge pin.I did this because i could not pound out the hinge pin so i had to compromise. All i can say is WOW. What a difference. I can now lightly close the door and i get an audible click,click as my door shuts perfectly.
Try it for yourself if your door is a bear to close.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Congrats.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I too have a 22' CCD and yes the door required a SLAM to close. I never liked the force it required to close. I also noticed that the post was not centered on the lock. Your solution made all the difference in the world . Thank you.

If your door shuts hard try it, its unbelievable what a difference this will make

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I might give that a try. Mines not bad but it could be a lot better.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Nice job.

It's alway gratifying to make adjustments and have them work.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, great idea! There's probably a reminder for all of us to keep those hinges lubed several times a year. I'd be we get more wear there than we think.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
Air Mobile

2005 25' International CCD
Newport News , Virginia
any chance of a picture

Hello Zedex, I have a 25 ft CCD and am having the same trouble with my door closing, it closes, but requires more force than I'd like; particularly from the inside. I am so so with repairs and was wondering how you'd rate this one in degree of difficulty? Did you shim up both hinges or only one. Would it be difficult to post a picture or two? Regardless, thanks for the repair information and glad it worked for you.

Tim
Tim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
I just purchased a 2005 30 foot Classic. The door is very difficult to close (has to be SLAMMED) and subsequently to open.

I am going to give this a try.

Thanks!!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Slamming doors issues, can easily be corrected by spraying the striker bolt and striker pocket with "SILICONE SPRAY".

While your at it, spray the entrance door hinge pins, too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsupler View Post
Hello Zedex, I have a 25 ft CCD and am having the same trouble with my door closing, it closes, but requires more force than I'd like; particularly from the inside. I am so so with repairs and was wondering how you'd rate this one in degree of difficulty? Did you shim up both hinges or only one. Would it be difficult to post a picture or two? Regardless, thanks for the repair information and glad it worked for you.

Tim
Hi Tim. It was very easy to do. The hardest part was making the shim.I only used 1 shim on the top hinge.I will try and snap a pic. You will see a white arrow at bottom of hinge. That is the shim i put in. Good luck. Makes a world of difference.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #11

Here is a quick illustration of the hinge pin in blue, and the stainless washer in black. The washer is cut as illustrated, tapped around pin in blue, and with 2 screwdrivers, the ends of the washer(in red) are crushed together to force washer around pin so it does not fall out.Happy fabricating.

Tags
door repair, hinges, shim