Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
What is this missing door handle called?

This is my first post on this forum, I live in Northern CA. (anyone from around here?)
I just bought my second POwned Airstream, it is a 78 31'. I have the floor ripped out, installing floating floor I learn about from these forums. Fixing dry rot, from learning on these forums, and bought the blue stripping from Inland RV supply.
Could someone help me with what this missing door handle is called? It is to the right of the sprung (another topic) door, and appears to have had a key lock at the top, as there is a "deadbolt" thingy that turns on the interior. TY all, and I can not get the search working on this forum--I bought gutter seal, and other caulks recommened here--and cant find the links that said what to use on which area...
Umm, uploaded pics, and they say they are here....in my upload folder...I hope they show up when I submit..
I just want to sound like I know what I may be talking about when I call dealers to replace the missing handle. Illusion is everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doorhandle.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	60888   Click image for larger version

Name:	gap.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	60889  

magna1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome tot he forums. The missing handle is what I call a grab handle. It should be around a foot long, and is mounted vertically next to the door.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna1111
This is my first post on this forum, I live in Northern CA. (anyone from around here?)
I just bought my second POwned Airstream, it is a 78 31'. I have the floor ripped out, installing floating floor I learn about from these forums. Fixing dry rot, from learning on these forums, and bought the blue stripping from Inland RV supply.
Could someone help me with what this missing door handle is called? It is to the right of the sprung (another topic) door, and appears to have had a key lock at the top, as there is a "deadbolt" thingy that turns on the interior. TY all, and I can not get the search working on this forum--I bought gutter seal, and other caulks recommened here--and cant find the links that said what to use on which area...
Umm, uploaded pics, and they say they are here....in my upload folder...I hope they show up when I submit..
I just want to sound like I know what I may be talking about when I call dealers to replace the missing handle. Illusion is everything.
That part is called a "grab bar" with a lock.

Airstream discontinued using it, many years ago.

Back then, when it was last available, it cost almost $400.00.

You can use a regular grab bar.

Your other photo, if I am correct is for the left side of the A-frame.

If that's the case, you need far more than just Vulkem sealer. That separation is caused by punishing the front end, buy having a heavy duty tow vehicle, and/or hitch bars that are for the Queen Mary.

The front end is being torn apart, when you tow the trailer, because of the stiffness of the tow vehicle and/or excessive rated hitch bars.

You will have to soften that rigging if you want to stop the front end from getting destroyed.

Andey
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Related Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
That part is called a "grab bar" with a lock.

Airstream discontinued using it, many years ago.

Back then, when it was last available, it cost almost $400.00.

You can use a regular grab bar.

Andey
Hi Andy,

I have a question related to the “grab bar.” How do you change the doorbell button? Do you just pry it out from the front?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Andy,

I have a question related to the “grab bar.” How do you change the doorbell button? Do you just pry it out from the front?
Pry it out gently.

It's just a press fit.

Andy
Old 05-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks Andy,

That's what it looked like, but why experiment when you can ask?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Thanks Andy,

That's what it looked like, but why experiment when you can ask?

Er, umm, that's what my old girl friend used to say.

Andy
Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Andy must be feeling much better!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Andy must be feeling much better!
Yep. Feeling better.

Will be out of pocket for a week.

Will be visiting parts of North Carolina.

Wish everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day.

Andy
Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For the inserted caption in your second picture, you should use Vulkem (aka protrem) to seal the gap after you get the "beating" taken care of.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
Ok, wow, the PO owner gave me all the towing gear

When you say softer gear...do you mean lighter hitch? It is really heavy. Or, perhaps the stiff rectangular bar that attaches from the hitch to truck on the street side.
The Truck that pulls it, is a 78 huge Scottsdale pu, 2 wheel, C10, 4 door. Any tips of how to lighten it all up? I plan to pull it 4 hours, then hopefully never again. The truck gets 7 miles to the gallon. It came with the trailer.

I have seen photos of cadillacs pulling them, do all vehicles have to get special rigging (hydrolic air system) to operate the disk brakes on the trailer?? Otherwise I could pull it with my Chevy Van perhaps.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Wow, you cheated the "how do I hook up the vacuum disc brake" process and got an old tow vehicle with vacuum! A lot of us don't have a ready source of vacuum on our truck, so we got an electric "activator" that pressurizes the hydraulic disc brakes. Does your vacuum brake boost system work on that '78?
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
TV Overkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
That separation is caused by punishing the front end, buy having a heavy duty tow vehicle, and/or hitch bars that are for the Queen Mary.

The front end is being torn apart, when you tow the trailer, because of the stiffness of the tow vehicle and/or excessive rated hitch bars.

You will have to soften that rigging if you want to stop the front end from getting destroyed.

Andey
I have been wondering the same thing. I am towing my Tradewind with a F250. There is no damage to my AS, and it tows fine on all paved roads and most dirt. But, I tried a couple of times pulling down some New Mexico washboard roads and it seemed the coach rode much better than the TV in which I felt every bump. Looking in my rearview the AS was nice and level and not jumping around. But the rough ride must be transmitted at least to the trailer tongue. Cqn't be a good thing. I turned around as soon as I could. Maybe a lighter sprung TV and a lighter foot would be more comfortable for the AS and the riders in the TV.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Grab bar

Here's mine on the Excella. I've noticed the same thing on a few Moho's.You don't have a spare door lock do you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86 Excella.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	60929  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
doorgunner, that looks like what i am missing

I assume my tv came with the vaccumm thing, as that is what the owners said, and there is a sealing type of pressure lock that attaches the tv to the airstream.
Sure could use that lock doorgunner, pass it on when you are done with it!
I just put a new floor in the trailer this weekend... used ideas from this forum, got the armstrong tack type of floor that is floating, and glues to itself. It looks good. I will post pics, but I think it has to be in the flooring forum.

Thanks all for replying, I am pulling her for the first time on the 23 rd of June, up to Hornbrook Ca from Eureka. Not too much punishment, she has been all over mexico with the po's.

Wish me luck, never pulled anything that big before, plus I will have 5 kids with me...
Before I head out, I am attempting to reseal all the seams etc. Trying to figure out all the caulking is rather confusing. Even on the airstream site, they have a picutre of vulcum, when you click on it, the picture changes to silkflex, and the text description uses tem pro 635, gosh 3 products in one...check it out for fun.... https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=162
Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
I assume my tv came with the vaccumm thing, as that is what the owners said, and there is a sealing type of pressure lock that attaches the tv to the airstream.
Sure could use that lock doorgunner, pass it on when you are done with it!
I just put a new floor in the trailer this weekend... used ideas from this forum, got the armstrong tack type of floor that is floating, and glues to itself. It looks good. I will post pics, but I think it has to be in the flooring forum.

Thanks all for replying, I am pulling her for the first time on the 23 rd of June, up to Hornbrook Ca from Eureka. Not too much punishment, she has been all over mexico with the po's.

Wish me luck, never pulled anything that big before, plus I will have 5 kids with me...
Before I head out, I am attempting to reseal all the seams etc. Trying to figure out all the caulking is rather confusing. Even on the airstream site, they have a picutre of vulcum, when you click on it, the picture changes to silkflex, and the text description uses tem pro 635, gosh 3 products in one...check it out for fun.... https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=162
They are all the same product.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
Thanks for the photo doorgunner

Thats the handle, I am trying to find it so it can temp, solve my door not closing problem. I think the dead bolt part will hold the door shut.
Unable to find one yet,
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thats the handle, I am trying to find it so it can temp, solve my door not closing problem. I think the dead bolt part will hold the door shut.
Unable to find one yet,
That lock was a replacement for the Keeler Brass lock, made by GM, (not general motors).

However it has not been available for several years.

We have a replacement for both those locks.

Andy
Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
Andy, when I placed my order last week....

Your nice person said she was the only one working that day, and would ask about that part when others returned, I just did not know what part number to use. Ok, now that you have it, I will call back and try to explain it again to the person that answers.
Ty