Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Well, this was a frustrating mod. (Door handle)

So, after reading about the cheap press fit interior door handle that falls off, locking one inside the trailer, and noticing that my door handle has a lot of sloppy play in it, I decide I should do this little mod so when it falls off I can get out of the trailer without having to go out the emergency window or under the bed.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...od-150277.html

I went to my trailer with all the appropriate tools, carefully lined up the screen door to notch it, and proceeded. When I was done, it almost looked like a pro had done it. Almost. Next, drill the hole for the screwdriver/exit key. Again, carefully line everything up and proceed. Finished and good to go, I test my mod.

Umm, I can't open the door.

So I use the handle to open the door, and check my line up. Popping up the little lever is easy when the door is open and you can see where to put the screw driver tip, but out of thirty or so tries with the door closed, I was successful only once.

Any one got any good ideas?

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Crickets. I hear crickets.

It's going to be hotter than heck for the next week or so in the PNW. I'll go back and work on it some more when it cools down a bit.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's so darn hot and more humid than normal around SoCal, its hard to think...

Hence the crickets...?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #4
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post

Mike
Yep, Mike, "practice"

The last time I opened my door using this mod, I was successful on the 4th or 5th try. Sure, it wasn't instant, but SO much quicker than crawling out through the exit window.

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the mod in that other thread, RFP, we plan to do it soon.

Sometimes being the messenger is risky, unfortunately!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
So, after reading about the cheap press fit interior door handle that falls off, locking one inside the trailer, and noticing that my door handle has a lot of sloppy play in it, I decide I should do this little mod so when it falls off I can get out of the trailer without having to go out the emergency window or under the bed.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...od-150277.html

I went to my trailer with all the appropriate tools, carefully lined up the screen door to notch it, and proceeded. When I was done, it almost looked like a pro had done it. Almost. Next, drill the hole for the screwdriver/exit key. Again, carefully line everything up and proceed. Finished and good to go, I test my mod.

Umm, I can't open the door.

So I use the handle to open the door, and check my line up. Popping up the little lever is easy when the door is open and you can see where to put the screw driver tip, but out of thirty or so tries with the door closed, I was successful only once.

Mike
I drilled a hole just big enough to fit a flat blade screwdriver. The hole is level with the tab. I hit it 9 out of ten times which is of no help to you BUT I think the pics. and location of my fix might help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	317908   Click image for larger version

Name:	as2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	317909  

Name:	as4.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	317910  
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Too Tall and RFP - maybe a video would help? I apparently have a problem with spatial relations - RFP posted lots of pics that helped quite a bit. But maybe a video of exactly where you’re making contact would be helpful? Thanks!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Too Tall and RFP - maybe a video would help? I apparently have a problem with spatial relations - RFP posted lots of pics that helped quite a bit. But maybe a video of exactly where you’re making contact would be helpful? Thanks!
Noooo problem. I'll take a quick video later today and post a link.
BTW I want to copy all the mods you made to your trailers. Really slick, simple, well done. LOL we even used the same autotransporter...like minds.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Video for SteveSueMac. Anyone ever say that sounds like "Steve, Sumac"?

Nevermind.

Let me know if you have questions and no comments on my Maryland mumbling

https://flic.kr/p/26HQNhd
Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great video, thanks!

OT -- Any chance you are in Firefox as your browser, and have any insights on the extra blank lines in your post? If so, please comment here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ts-182555.html

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Video for SteveSueMac. Anyone ever say that sounds like "Steve, Sumac"?

Nevermind.

Let me know if you have questions and no comments on my Maryland mumbling

https://flic.kr/p/26HQNhd

Awesome! Many thanks! And yeah - didn’t really think through the naming thing... [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Great video, thanks!

OT -- Any chance you are in Firefox as your browser, and have any insights on the extra blank lines in your post? If so, please comment here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ts-182555.html

Thanks,

Peter
I am using Firefox. That's all I got!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Thanks Airsream Peeps. I did not know anyone responded to this until this am. I'll go back to the trailer later this week and adjust the hole and practise. I'm buying a new interior handle from my dealer so that when the current one destructs. I'll have a replacement. Onward and upward.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Old 08-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #14
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Quote:
Thanks Airsream Peeps. .....I'm buying a new interior handle from my dealer so that when the current one destructs. I'll have a replacement. Onward and upward.

Mike
What year is your AS? Seems like you are already getting ready for the handle to fail.

Ours is a 2014 fc and there is already some slight play in the handle. I no longer use the inside handle when closing the door. I pull on the door edge/frame near the handle until it latches.

Am seriously considering the ‘hole’ mod since 2 of the three screws for the door lock panel are inaccessible behind the screen door frame.

I wonder if anyone knows if a loose handle can be tightened- maybe by tapping it back on the post? AS should really have thought this out based on the number of issues posted.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #15
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
< snip >
I wonder if anyone knows if a loose handle can be tightened- maybe by tapping it back on the post? AS should really have thought this out based on the number of issues posted.
Well, yes and no.

I'll try to describe what I did to our handle to make it fail-proof (well, I think so...)

I removed the three screws and took the handle assembly off of the door and back to my tiny little shop. I found that the hole in the square shaft back of the handle is just the right side for a 10-32 tap. So, I threaded the hole and put a washer and a 1" long stainless screw into the hole... doubly secured with "blue" Loctite.

Since the rear surface of the handle post (the square part with the now-threaded hole) stands proud of the metal actuator, I modified an anti-turn washer to fit between the lock's metal actuator and my washer. I just ground off the spikey-thingys to make the anti-turn washer flat.

When I get a chance, I'll take a couple of photos to make this crummy narrative a little more understandable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	anti turn washer.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	319173  

Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
AS should really have thought this out based on the number of issues posted.
I'm sure they buy them from a outside supplier by the case. It only has to outlast the warranty period.

Those of you who have had a problem, how old was the lock when it failed? Just curious. It's another project I'll do but first I need to finish all the others.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Well, yes and no.

I'll try to describe what I did to our handle to make it fail-proof (well, I think so...)

I removed the three screws and took the handle assembly off of the door and back to my tiny little shop. I found that the hole in the square shaft back of the handle is just the right side for a 10-32 tap. So, I threaded the hole and put a washer and a 1" long stainless screw into the hole... doubly secured with "blue" Loctite.

Since the rear surface of the handle post (the square part with the now-threaded hole) stands proud of the metal actuator, I modified an anti-turn washer to fit between the lock's metal actuator and my washer. I just ground off the spikey-thingys to make the anti-turn washer flat.

When I get a chance, I'll take a couple of photos to make this crummy narrative a little more understandable.
How soon will your mod-kit be available on Amazon?!

But seriously- look forward to the pics. Sometimes I feel like removing the latch and using a bungee cord!
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have never had a problem with the handle on our trailer, but, as a result of some of the threads about problems, I made my own fix. It is much like RFP's solution.

After removing the handle and plate, I found that everything was still firmly swaged in place. My handle shaft also had a nice hole in the center, so I tapped it (for a machine screw) and added a screw with a washer underneath. That will keep the handle from coming out of the plate if the swaging ever fails. It might wobble around a bit, but would be held together well enough to get out of the trailer (and for me to fix it in some other way).

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #19
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
We have never had a problem with the handle on our trailer, but, as a result of some of the threads about problems, I made my own fix. It is much like RFP's solution.

After removing the handle and plate, I found that everything was still firmly swaged in place. My handle shaft also had a nice hole in the center, so I tapped it (for a machine screw) and added a screw with a washer underneath. That will keep the handle from coming out of the plate if the swaging ever fails. It might wobble around a bit, but would be held together well enough to get out of the trailer (and for me to fix it in some other way).

Tim
Perfect, Tim... now, if you would just add the modified 'anti turn washer' under your screw/washer, you're fixed forever.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
RFP, writing what I had done prompted a bit more thought. In the next day or two, I will take things apart again and add a bit of JB Weld between my washer and the shaft and surrounding plate. That will make the washer and screw a permanent part of the handle shaft and will make it so the washer and screw can't turn.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote