Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #1

1973 Argosy 26
Asheville , North Carolina
Want to change direction door on Argosy opens

On a recent trip to New England, the door on my 73 Argosy 26' had a tendency to come open a crack. Since the original lock doesn't work, it has an outside lock that I have been using. This trip turned out to be much differant than others I have taken. The roads in PA and NY where I went were horrible. Some of the bridges had been patched so much that when you hit them unaware, the trailer would bounce substantially thus throwing all kinds of things out of whack.

On the way back on this 1800 mile trip, the door sprung open at the top and at the bottom while remaining somewhat locked in the middle. When I got to a rest stop, I saw the damage that had happened. The door opens to the left, thus allowing the oncoming wind to grab the gapped door and bend it. Its a mess.

I think I would like to possibly get a replacement door and install it so it opens to the right, away from the wind. Has anyone done that? Know of a place I can get a door? I've read the posts on straighting out the door and all the problems that has. These doors are tough.

Any suggestions for this first time Argosy owner?

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 28 022.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	82078  

Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Argosy26 View Post
On a recent trip to New England, the door on my 73 Argosy 26' had a tendency to come open a crack. Since the original lock doesn't work, it has an outside lock that I have been using. This trip turned out to be much differant than others I have taken. The roads in PA and NY where I went were horrible. Some of the bridges had been patched so much that when you hit them unaware, the trailer would bounce substantially thus throwing all kinds of things out of whack.

On the way back on this 1800 mile trip, the door sprung open at the top and at the bottom while remaining somewhat locked in the middle. When I got to a rest stop, I saw the damage that had happened. The door opens to the left, thus allowing the oncoming wind to grab the gapped door and bend it. Its a mess.

I think I would like to possibly get a replacement door and install it so it opens to the right, away from the wind. Has anyone done that? Know of a place I can get a door? I've read the posts on straighting out the door and all the problems that has. These doors are tough.

Any suggestions for this first time Argosy owner?

Ray
A new door with reverse hinges can be ordered, but they are very expensive. A new door comes complete with a lock, screen door and the frame that is riveted to the shell.

You should determine why the door wants to fly open. There are several reasons, such as a heavy duty tow vehicle, excessive rated hitch bars, suspension systems, lack or proper running gear balance, worn out striker pocket, worn out striker bolt, bad shocks, or a combination of some of those things.

Installing a new door that opens to the front, is not getting to the source of the problem.

Andy

Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #3

1973 Argosy 26
Asheville , North Carolina
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how I go about analyzing the cause. I tow it with an F150 two wheel drive with a Reese hitch. The shocks are new last year. How do I test the axles and all that other stuff? Ray
Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Ray;
I own a remodeled 1973 26' Argosy. I purchased it knowing most of the issues with it although not all. One of them was badly sprung door. After serious consideration I have given up on reversing the door despite the fact that I am most capable of doing it, utilizing the existing door rather than replacing it.

Your problem is in one or few possibilities which Andy has spoke about. With leaking door gasket and sprung door we took water inside on the return trip home after the purchase. While springing the door back into original shape is not for beginners, it is not impossible. My door catch barely held the door closed. For the return home we drilled 1/4" hole at the bottom of the door drip molding and put a bolt in it. This prevented the door from flying open while on the road. Intending to do a total remodel, we left the sprung door for last. When the time came it took me 1.5 hour to spring the door back into original shape. To be truthfull, we pushed it 1/8" further on top and bottom to accommodate flex caused by gasket contacting the frame. Catch was adjusted and we have a air tight door. To prevent accidental opening of the door I have fabricated small custom bolt from 1/4" ID SS tubing which was welded to 1" wide X 4" long and 1/8" thick plate. One inch of it was cut off after welding and used as the bolt receiving part. The three inch part was riveted to the bottom of the door and the one inch section was riveted to body frame. The head of the bolt was Allen head so it could clear the door skin without scratching it while inserting. At the opposite end from the head of the bolt the thread part was cut off and cross hole in 3/16" diameter was drilled. The bolt is not retained in the three inch section and it is removed completely during the time while we are in. This prevents mischievous kids from locking us in. We place a small padlock in the end of that bolt as added security and keeps the door from opening accidentally during travel. The striker in the door lock was fine tunned as last step. Door was checked for air leaks with electronic leak detector and two years later is still as tight as the day we did it. There are posts in reference to straightening sprung door. Good Luck, "Boatdoc"
Old 06-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Axles maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Argosy26 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how I go about analyzing the cause. I tow it with an F150 two wheel drive with a Reese hitch. The shocks are new last year. How do I test the axles and all that other stuff? Ray
Have your axles ever been replaced? That is a good place to start....I don't think shocks do much to cushion your trailer's ride.....Others can tell you how to test the axles but if they are original they are probably the culprit....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote