Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Want alternatives to plastic slider

I am looking for anyones ideas and or creative alternatives to the ugly plastic bug slider on the screen door. I am open to using any other type materials, metal would be nice, maybe aluminum, or stainless.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
are you talking about the slider on the screen door? Not sure what you mean...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Jason,

I see you're back from your trip. Did you get both axles done? I didn't even think to try the door when we were at Inland to look inside. Of course without your prior approval I wouldn't have ventured to try to be respectful of your property.

Yes, the screen door. Sorry I forgot to specify, I've just edited the original post.

Thanks, Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Mary,

I thought you were going to use the aluminum piece, or one like it you had on the 4th.

I'm not sure where they sell the alumminum ones, but I would try an aluminum supply company. Not much help, huh!

Marie
Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I just finished mine tonight and although I am happy with the technique, I wish I would have had access to some better tools. I'm leaving for a trip soon but will probably re-do it with some improved techniques when I return.

I bought a piece of 6"x12" aluminum sheet stock and cut it to 6" x 7" after scoring with an x-acto blade and tin snips. I tried to grind the edges to remove the sharp edge - but wasn't very sucessful. Then I tried to score the edge again and bend it over on itself. That wasn't working well. So, I just wrapped some aluminum tape to the new cut edges. Then I riveted on two, low profile marine stainless handles back to back, sandwiching the aluminum panel between them. I placed a washer on one side so the rivet didn't pull through the other side/handle. Then I worked the new panel into place. It slides nice in the groove and, IMO, is an improvement to the plastic - especially since mine tended to get pulled out and was starting to crack where it rests in the sliding groove.

Project took about 3 hours of considering the design (and purchasing handles that were not low profile enough, finger pulls that were not deep enough, hinges and then returning those parts to find the low profile handles which wouldn't contact the exterior door when latched together with the screen door). Cost was about $8 and took about 30 minutes to build. Here's some pics - hope they at least give you an idea of one other way to approach it....

I also added the little sliding latch below to prevent my dogs from pushing the door open. Now I need to fit a pet guard on the screen so they just don't push the screen out! Pet-proofing never ends!
Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00553.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	83729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00558.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	83730  

Name:	DSC00552.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	83731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00561.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	83732  

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Laura,

That looks really good! Did you have to bend the aluminum slightly to get it in the track? I tried making one by cutting a piece of sheet aluminum, but after getting it to go up in the track then clear the bottom to drop in it was not tall enough to stay in the track without pulling out on the top edge. Maybe I did something wrong. I'll have to try it again, but I'll wait to see what other creative ideas might get posted first.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 07-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Yes, I had to "flex" the aluminum quie a bit to get it in the track. The handle made it more difficult to flex than without - but after a few tries and some encouraging words - it finally snapped into place. Good luck. I have these pictures in my file for inspiration (I got them from this site but can't remember who posted them --- and now, of course, I can't find the post again either).

I really liked their idea of hinging the door but I didn't have time to try that --- nor could I find a hinge of the right size (and don't have a way to cut a longer hinge right now).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1115.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	83745   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1116.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	83746  

Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
Laura,
Good work on the sliding door. My 73 has a factory hinged door. I think I would prefer the sliding door as the hinged door pops open and closed every time the door is opened.
Aaron
aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
hinged door

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaumpine View Post
Laura,
Good work on the sliding door. My 73 has a factory hinged door. I think I would prefer the sliding door as the hinged door pops open and closed every time the door is opened.
Aaron
Can you post some pics of your hinged door? Would love to see it.

Thanks. Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 07-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Yes, I had to "flex" the aluminum quie a bit to get it in the track. The handle made it more difficult to flex than without - but after a few tries and some encouraging words - it finally snapped into place. Good luck. I have these pictures in my file for inspiration (I got them from this site but can't remember who posted them --- and now, of course, I can't find the post again either).

I really liked their idea of hinging the door but I didn't have time to try that --- nor could I find a hinge of the right size (and don't have a way to cut a longer hinge right now).

Thanks for the photos. Too bad you can't remember who's they are .

Have a great trip!

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 07-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Mary,

Of course, you could just get a new plastic one (several vendors sell them) and spray paint it any colour you want. I wish they would make a clear version of that slider.

I like the look of the metal one, the slider version looks more "Airstreamish" to me. I hope the hinge on the other one is made of aluminum...
Old 07-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Mary,

Of course, you could just get a new plastic one (several vendors sell them) and spray paint it any colour you want. I wish they would make a clear version of that slider.

I like the look of the metal one, the slider version looks more "Airstreamish" to me. I hope the hinge on the other one is made of aluminum...
Painting the plastic type is an idea, but I really don't care for the "look" of the plastic one. As you said, it doesn't really look very airstreamish. I'm really wanting a good alternative in metal (aluminum preferably).

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
Mary,
Sorry for the delay. Here are for pics for you.
Aaron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0754.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	83858   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0755.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	83859  

Name:	HPIM0756.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	83860   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0757.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	83861  

aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #14
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
I just finished mine tonight and although I am happy with the technique, I wish I would have had access to some better tools. I'm leaving for a trip soon but will probably re-do it with some improved techniques when I return.

I bought a piece of 6"x12" aluminum sheet stock and cut it to 6" x 7" after scoring with an x-acto blade and tin snips. I tried to grind the edges to remove the sharp edge - but wasn't very sucessful. Then I tried to score the edge again and bend it over on itself. That wasn't working well. So, I just wrapped some aluminum tape to the new cut edges. Then I riveted on two, low profile marine stainless handles back to back, sandwiching the aluminum panel between them. I placed a washer on one side so the rivet didn't pull through the other side/handle. Then I worked the new panel into place. It slides nice in the groove and, IMO, is an improvement to the plastic - especially since mine tended to get pulled out and was starting to crack where it rests in the sliding groove.

Project took about 3 hours of considering the design (and purchasing handles that were not low profile enough, finger pulls that were not deep enough, hinges and then returning those parts to find the low profile handles which wouldn't contact the exterior door when latched together with the screen door). Cost was about $8 and took about 30 minutes to build. Here's some pics - hope they at least give you an idea of one other way to approach it....

I also added the little sliding latch below to prevent my dogs from pushing the door open. Now I need to fit a pet guard on the screen so they just don't push the screen out! Pet-proofing never ends!
Laura

Laura,

How's your new slider working out? Any pros/cons? We still need to make a new one and are trying to decide on a slider or a hinged one.

Thanks,

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Yes, I had to "flex" the aluminum quie a bit to get it in the track. The handle made it more difficult to flex than without - but after a few tries and some encouraging words - it finally snapped into place.
Laura, I'll make you feel really stoopid now--If you have to do this again, put the handle on AFTER you install the piece...
Quote:

That is pretty much how Airstream did it up until they discovered the plastic sliders. There was a hinge and catch (usually a magnet) at the ends of the cover.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Laura, I'll make you feel really stoopid now--If you have to do this again, put the handle on AFTER you install the piece...
Yes! That's what I'll do when I replace it with one that has a better edge.

Mary,
I think it works (slides) much easier than my plastic. But it responds similarly with operator error: trying to close the main door without first sliding it out of the way. So, I did bend it. It bent back into shape pretty easily but I'm wondering if a hinged one is the better way to go. Seems if the user forgots to move it out of the way, it would open on its own and save it from damage. ????

Laura

Tags
screen door, slider