Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Yes, I had to "flex" the aluminum quie a bit to get it in the track. The handle made it more difficult to flex than without - but after a few tries and some encouraging words - it finally snapped into place.
Laura, I'll make you feel really stoopid now--If you have to do this again, put the handle on AFTER you install the piece...

I really liked their idea of hinging the door but I didn't have time to try that --- nor could I find a hinge of the right size (and don't have a way to cut a longer hinge right now).
That is pretty much how Airstream did it up until they discovered the plastic sliders. There was a hinge and catch (usually a magnet) at the ends of the cover.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Laura, I'll make you feel really stoopid now--If you have to do this again, put the handle on AFTER you install the piece...
Yes! That's what I'll do when I replace it with one that has a better edge.

I think it works (slides) much easier than my plastic. But it responds similarly with operator error: trying to close the main door without first sliding it out of the way. So, I did bend it. It bent back into shape pretty easily but I'm wondering if a hinged one is the better way to go. Seems if the user forgots to move it out of the way, it would open on its own and save it from damage. ????

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote

screen door, slider