Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Vintage AS door questions

As far as I can tell, the door to my '47 was possibly two doors? It appears that the handle and mechanism may be original, but has a galvanized plate behind it keeping the door as one. If it's a door within a door that would be very cool. Does anyone have pictures of this assembly so I can see what it's supposed to look like? The hinges on mine are rusting, so I'm wondering if they aren't original.. I'm not sure how the door is supposed to work until I can take it all apart, but I'm trying to understand it as I wait to get my hands on the real thing (still waiting on title/transport). I'm starting to get anxious, waiting for my baby!
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
As far as I can tell, the door to my '47 was possibly two doors? It appears that the handle and mechanism may be original, but has a galvanized plate behind it keeping the door as one. If it's a door within a door that would be very cool. Does anyone have pictures of this assembly so I can see what it's supposed to look like? The hinges on mine are rusting, so I'm wondering if they aren't original.. I'm not sure how the door is supposed to work until I can take it all apart, but I'm trying to understand it as I wait to get my hands on the real thing (still waiting on title/transport). I'm starting to get anxious, waiting for my baby!
try this 47Liner

Does your door meck look likre this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-era-Bargman-Door-Handle-for-vintage-travel-trailer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a55fe8dfbQQite mZ250550849019QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Hi Toastie, the pix on the vinatge site are all so far away. I do see the construction well on your own personal restoration thread (doors look similar)-- at least I now understand how the hinge may work. The door handle is similar. It has a bit of a base on the outside of the door, beneath the handle. But the lever looks very much the same. The inside box is like that as well. I am sure that I'll figure it out fine once I start taking her apart, but while I'm waiting I thought I'd think some things through ;-)
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Check out Vintage Trailer supply. They have a good replacement hinge and a good picture of the door.

Airstream Door Hinges

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Likely no inner door hinges . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
Hi Silverfoxrae:

Your 1947 Liner had a door-within-a door but the inner door was never hinged to anything, so don't put newer incorrect strap hinges on it unless you do that knowingly and on purpose to suit your needs. Your inner door simply lifted out of the outer door and was stored someplace safe, such as underneath the trailer. Only your outer door was hinged to the body with narrow household type door hinges. The hinges present on your '47 Liner today may, or may not, be original. I don't know because I did not look at any photos of your trailer before posting this.

I am not aware of any vintage photos showing someone removing an unhinged inner door, so you will have to play around a bit when your trailer gets home. The unhinged inner door may be held in place more-or-less permanently with extra screws or something else. You will have to wait and see.

The first hinged doors-within-a-door appeared at the end of 1947 or in early 1948. We don't have any date certain for this change. Instead, we have to look at many early Liners like yours to narrow down when certain early changes were made.

I realize you are excited about your purchase, but don't do too much for your Liner until after you get it home and have had an opportunity to inspect it carefully. Haste may make waste.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Thanks all... I've got amazing resources and friendly folks in this group-- I feel blessed! I will repeat myself--I will take lots of photos of the '47 for everyone. It might have some historical value to someone as well as just vintage appeal...I'll try to keep busy doing other things-- good advice. The next few weeks will be filled with friends and some family events. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Look around for one

Rae,
Your door lock looks original to me. If you look at the pictures in the thread on 47 holdbacks....you will see an original inside door handle. There is an original assembly on EBAY right now with that correct inside assembly. A very close duplicate of this lock ...inside...can be found at suppliers to the Teardrop trailer makers....'cant remember the dealer right off....but he advertises on EBAY too. Both of the old trailer locks advertised now are the outside "lever" handles you are looking for.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Thanks!! I will look into it :-)
Old 12-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
From what I am reading here the trailer is not in your possession. Is that right? I encourage you to follow Fred's advice and get it to you and survey it well before going out and buying parts you might or might not need. It is my understanding that the real early girls had steel hinges. Is that correct Fred? For those not aware, Fred did a very interesting presentation of the history of Airstreams. It was presented by him on an early VAP show and was very interesting to say the least. I am not trying to butter him up, but Fred is probably the most knowledgeable guy out there on these old girls. As a community we are extremely fortunate to have him sharing his knowledge
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
...oh I totally agree with you about waiting before I do anything, purchase or otherwise! I'm just "brainstorming", "daydreaming", trying to understand- visualize what it is supposed to look like as an end result. I have a very active mind ;-) I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and assistance.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
a look inside

Here is a picture of that one inside lock handle I mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside door 1947.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	93000  
Old 12-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
where does this door within a door come into play? What kind of liner is your photos are of? I see two front windows and always thought Airstreams had a single front window unlike the Silverstreaks and Curtis Wrights.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
your reading too much into this...

That picture is a 47 18 ft. Curtis Wright. I have a hard time finding good pictures...The best inside door pictures of the Airstream I could find were on the German Vintage site....but I could not copy and send it.
You, above all folks , know these trailers sat, essentially side by side, during manufacture and are basically the same....using the same materials to build. They both used two different door lock assemblies....depending on whatever....in their production. My 47 Curtis does not have the lock you see in the photo above. Even the advertising brochures and magazine articles of the time show different locks and handles. Some even had the conventional knob on them. That goes for Airstream and Curtis.

photos from Dials' site
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47 AIRSTREAM  inside door..jpg
Views:	196
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	93008   Click image for larger version

Name:	47 AIRSTREAM inside door lock #2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	93009  

Old 12-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
The last picture looks like my door. I have some pictures of the lock- inside and out. After the explanation about the door-in-door just being lifted out, I think that they way it's seated/held/fastened will be more obvious when I take apart the galvanized patch that was put under the outside handle--holding the doors together permanently. :-)

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"

Tags
door & frame, door-within-a-door