Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Unlocked....

Hey All,
we've got ourselves a small problem with the door lock on our '71 overlander. Every time we depart we lock the door BUT by the time we arrive it's unlocked. It always stays shut but consistently comes unlocked. For instance, yesterday we pulled out of our weekend site and by the time we got to the exit to the RV park it was unlocked (less than 1/8 of a mile on smooth concrete). Any ideas?
Thanks!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Hey All,
we've got ourselves a small problem with the door lock on our '71 overlander. Every time we depart we lock the door BUT by the time we arrive it's unlocked. It always stays shut but consistently comes unlocked. For instance, yesterday we pulled out of our weekend site and by the time we got to the exit to the RV park it was unlocked (less than 1/8 of a mile on smooth concrete). Any ideas?
Thanks!
Sounds like the small spring and steel ball are missing, which allows the locking pin to move as it wishes.

You must remove the lock to replace those parts.

They are located above the striker bolt.

Andy

Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Disassembly and inspection is in order.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
For peace of mind you might want add door wedge to your travel kit just in the case one day the lock doesn't old while in transit.

Cry Me A River... Bent Door - Dented Side - Page 2 - Airstream Forums

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Or a deadbolt if there is room.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Someone put a deadbolt on mine. Drilled into the frame and door. I posted pictures somewhere but cant find the tread sorry.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

bungee security

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Hey All,
we've got ourselves a small problem with the d
oor lock on our '71 overlander. Every time we depart we lock the door BUT by the time we arrive it's unlocked. It always stays shut but consistently comes unlocked. For instance, yesterday we pulled out of our weekend site and by the time we got to the exit to the RV park it was unlocked (less than 1/8 of a mile on smooth concrete). Any ideas?
Thanks!
Andy nailed the 95 % probability problem. We use a small bungee cord from the hinges to the handle as a safety.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
For peace of mind you might want add door wedge to your travel kit just in the case one day the lock doesn't old while in transit.

Cry Me A River... Bent Door - Dented Side - Page 2 - Airstream Forums

Regards,

Kevin
This won't work on a 71 (wish it would) the assist handle is enclosed...
Old 09-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
It looks like DH will be spending some time removing the lock soon. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Will let you know what we find out.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I know -- it kinda stinks...when my wife told me about that suggestion, I remembered the earlier "show your door wedge" post and I was somewhat envious. But alas, I supposed I'm just gonna have to take it apart -- has anyone actually done this? Is it relatively easy? Will I have to remove the skin from the interior part of the door?

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
I know -- it kinda stinks...when my wife told me about that suggestion, I remembered the earlier "show your door wedge" post and I was somewhat envious. But alas, I supposed I'm just gonna have to take it apart -- has anyone actually done this? Is it relatively easy? Will I have to remove the skin from the interior part of the door?
You must remove a few of the rivets around the door lock, on the inside metal only.

That will allow you to remove the lock.

NEXT: USE CAUTION

There is an adjustment at the end of the lock, near the striker bolt. It's a recessed allen set screw. That loosens or tightens the spring pressure on the steel ball. Moving the locking pin will confirm that to you. If you remove that screw, the very small spring and steel ball will pop out when you least expect it. If it's not there, then that's why the locking pin will not stay in position.

Andy
Old 09-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
This won't work on a 71 (wish it would) the assist handle is enclosed...
Oh yes I forgot about the the bug scoop handles.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Click image for larger version

Name:	door1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	111600 Click image for larger version

Name:	door2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	111601
Okay, so the lock is out, and fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) it is NOT the spring and bearing -- those are completely in place. I'm going to explain what is happening and then include some photos to see if there are any suggestions other than a complete replacement.

So there is a cylinder with a "cam" (can't think of anything else to call it) that sits inside of a rod/bolt with a notch or cutout in it. This bolt slides up and down either manually (via the knob on the inside of the door) or via turning the key. This bolt/rod also has two flares in it that line up with the spring and bearing, allowing it to "snap" into either the locked or unlocked state. This all works great when throwing it up or down with the inside knob.

However, when doing it via the key, the cam only pushes the bolt down halfway, and for whatever reason, it stay in this halfway state (meaning that it won't "snap" into that lower flare). At this point it does actually lock the door, but if you bump or hit the door (just a gentle knock on the lock itself) instead of falling down and snapping (which I wish it would) it instead pops up, unlocking it.

Any thoughts....detailed photos included.

Thanks in advance!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Attachment 111600 Attachment 111601
Okay, so the lock is out, and fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) it is NOT the spring and bearing -- those are completely in place. I'm going to explain what is happening and then include some photos to see if there are any suggestions other than a complete replacement.

So there is a cylinder with a "cam" (can't think of anything else to call it) that sits inside of a rod/bolt with a notch or cutout in it. This bolt slides up and down either manually (via the knob on the inside of the door) or via turning the key. This bolt/rod also has two flares in it that line up with the spring and bearing, allowing it to "snap" into either the locked or unlocked state. This all works great when throwing it up or down with the inside knob.

However, when doing it via the key, the cam only pushes the bolt down halfway, and for whatever reason, it stay in this halfway state (meaning that it won't "snap" into that lower flare). At this point it does actually lock the door, but if you bump or hit the door (just a gentle knock on the lock itself) instead of falling down and snapping (which I wish it would) it instead pops up, unlocking it.

Any thoughts....detailed photos included.

Thanks in advance!
Quite well the pin on the back side of the tumbler is worn.

Also, did you check the tension adjustment on the vertical locking shaft?

Andy

Tags
door, locks