Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
UGH...previous owners and a locked door!

It looks like the PO didnt have a key, so they pryed the exterior door open...any suggestions on best thing to do with the metal missing? I was thinking about squaring the break and getting a small new piece welded in place...thoughts??
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I think you are on the right track. Make sure the aluminum you use is strong enough to be welded, and I would recommend cutting the square out back a good ways from the break so that the welds are not to close to the lock. You can then grind off the welds so the door will close properly. You are going to have to be careful not to catch anything on fire! In addition to removing all the plastic parts, you may want to open up the interior skin and pull back any insulation that is close to the welds. An HVAC or auto bodyshop may be able to help you.
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
It looks like the PO didnt have a key, so they pryed the exterior door open...any suggestions on best thing to do with the metal missing? I was thinking about squaring the break and getting a small new piece welded in place...thoughts??
That break usually happens when the door is slammed, when the lock is in the locked position.

We have the nylon striker pockets.

The cast frame can be welded, but make sure the exterior metal is partly pulled away during that process, so that it isn't burned.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
If you were in Kentucky, I would be glad to weld it for you. I would suggest you look for someone who is capable of TIG welding the frame for you. If you find the right person, it could be done without damaging the surrounding material, insulation, etc. One suggestion is to look for a nearby vocational school and try to find a competent welding instructor who may be able to fix it for you.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I had my 71 Globetrotter cast door frame tig welded up. A word of caution: The alloy used is quite poor and dirty. Be sure to hire a very experienced welder as someone with less talent could muck it up pretty fast. Heed Andys advice on pulling a few rivets from the exterior skin around the weld area so as to not loose the temper of the 2024-T3, which will cause a bulge if overheated.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Sorry That's a shame.If ya had pm'd Andy and then called him on the phone he would have told ya how to get in wiff out tearin it up. OH WELL.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote