Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Yorktown , Virginia
John in the UK (or anyone else that contributed to the door hinge discussion), did you solve this problem? This happens to me as well on every trip. I hadn't thought to relate it to the tow vehicle as it seems to back itself out while sitting still. I'll have to pay closer attention to that. In any case, did you try any of the suggestions listed here?

robert

Old 05-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Delton , Michigan
Hi Robert...
I seem to have 'solved' my hinge pin issue. I was reluctant to drill holes and install pins or set screws. I tried blue 'locktite' on the bottom hinge... when it popped up about a half inch. Coated the pin, then re-set it. It held for a time, then broke free and began to work its way up again. I did this a few times. Then I used some strong blue. That did it (so far). Then the top hinge began to move. I glued that one too. Seems to work. Maybe not totally permanent, but a quick and easy repair. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
For those of you doing work on the hinges - Avoid loosinging the bolts holding the hinges to the coach. Airstream has these attached with nuts on the inside. If you loosen them or take them out, you will need to remove the interior skin to re-tighten! Needles to say, a peal pain in the ***
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Yorktown , Virginia
phantom--thanks for the words. it seems like the simplest approach although after finding this thread i found quite a few other similar threads on door hinges. it seems odd that so many people have similar problems.

the possible relationship to the tow vehicle and ride has me scratching my head still. especially since i just had 2 tires blowout on the first trip of the year. both were original tires, so i assumed that the tires were correct for the trailer. after searching for marathon tires/blowouts etc i seems i stumbled onto a whole can of worms relating to tires/tow vehicles/driving conditions etc. i'm still wading thru those years old threads, but seems odd to have someone suggest that a rough ride (tires/tow vehicle related) could contribute to the annoying door hinge problem i've had from day 1 and now i've experienced a near catasrophic tire failure. has the tires/tow vehicle been a problem since day 1?

i've got to go finish the tire threads and figure out if the towmax tires that joe-bob sold me on the side of the road (new definition to highway robbery) are safe to travel on the rest of the summer.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #19

1978 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
EL Paso , Texas
My hinge bolts will not tighten is there any way to correct this problem without having to remove interior skin?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Helped a friend with the same problem ( hinge pin coming up ) by pushing the pin back into place, and coating the top joint with Red Locktite. Hasn't moved since.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by randf View Post
John in the UK (or anyone else that contributed to the door hinge discussion), did you solve this problem? This happens to me as well on every trip. I hadn't thought to relate it to the tow vehicle as it seems to back itself out while sitting still. I'll have to pay closer attention to that. In any case, did you try any of the suggestions listed here?

robert
Hi Robert,

No. Have not got round to drilling and tapping as has been suggested - just keep knocking it back in!

Lately the bottom pin has only been working up during the summer months when the door is opened fully back against the trailer. Last winter it stayed put.

Ours hasn't come out when travelling - only when stationary.

Eventually, I will fit 1/4" high tensile bolts with chrome dome nuts then, hopefully, that's it sorted.

John in the UK