Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Trouble finding TRI/MARK key stock.....

We decided that we had better get extra keys made to our tt; the door locked itself on me last summer. Luckily, Brenda was inside and could open it.

The problem is the key stock for the main lock--the one with the door handle. Tri/Mark is not stocked by Home Depot or ACE Hardware. Some lock person in Central Tucson says she has any/all Tri/Mark stock ever made......

Have any of you had this problem?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi kistler...

you or your dealer can order the trimark blanks from the a/s factory store....

they will NOT have the little rubber boot but are otherwise correct.

most/any key cutter will work once you obtain the correct blanks.

i've NOT found them available from any hardware store or other brand rv stores either...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's a few dozen on Ebay.

eBay - Autos, Used Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Trucks, Parts, Accessories, RVs and Other Vehicles - buy and sell on eBay Motors
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Here's a few dozen on Ebay...
awesome! but only a few dozen?

never considered looking there but those DO look correct.

have you tried any?

my local lock smith cut a blank he assured me was correct and it was stamped trimark.

but it didn't work on the 05 door and when inspected closely there was one little difference in the blade length so it didn't fully engage....

what a great find IF these are matches.

cheers
2air'

now is the factory selling keys on ebay too?

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
If you have a good old fashioned lock shop around they should be able to make keys for you even if they don't have the exact blanks. I had extra keys made for my '07 Safari at a locksmith in Rocky Mount, NC and even though they didn't have the exact blanks the keys work perfectly.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
We decided that we had better get extra keys made to our tt; the door locked itself on me last summer. Luckily, Brenda was inside and could open it.

The problem is the key stock for the main lock--the one with the door handle. Tri/Mark is not stocked by Home Depot or ACE Hardware. Some lock person in Central Tucson says she has any/all Tri/Mark stock ever made......

Quickest way...
Just call A/S factory with your model year, VIN number and, the number from the door. That's important as no two doors are the same..
They may ask a few questions to be sure you are the orignal owner but..
The cost? Expect to pay around 16 or 17 dollars if memory serves me.
ciao
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you, everyone. I found a shop (the one Brenda phoned that said they had every Tri/mark ever) and they made a couple of main door-lock keys. No rubber but then they were only $2.16 each--Yikes $16 or $17 from Jackson Center.

ACE was able to make the dead bolt keys and all of them (including the Tri/mark blanks) work. I am hiding a set in my nastiest sewer hose in the sewer drawer and a set in a magnetized box on the Expedition bottom.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good Hiding Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
I am hiding a set in my nastiest sewer hose in the sewer drawer and a set in a magnetized box on the Expedition bottom.

Kistler
Be sure you hide some rubber gloves in the bumper!

Paula
Old 12-20-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i found these two sites useful in locating the key blank i needed:

TriMark Locks for Sale
Key Blanks, Key Machines. Web's LARGEST key blank SuperStore - Trimark

the second site had the ILCO blank numbers which are more likely to be found than the TRIMARK blanks.

and they have pictures! we LOVE pictures :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
You do not need TriMark key blanks to get new Airstream keys made. Go to a "real" hardware store that has lots of key blanks or go to a locksmith. Although the keys will not look the same they will work just I fine.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler View Post

You should install the "Lock out kit".

We supply that kit at "no charge".

Send us a SASE with 2 stamps, and we will send you that kit along with the installation instructions.

Hundreds of other owners have already installed that kit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
I just called TriMark directly... The one locksmith who had TriMark keys didn't have the one I needed so figured I can spend $20 in gas or just order direct... And the ended up sending me too sets
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Figgered we would need more than two sets eventually...

First locksmith we went too... one complete 5 key set, I tink it was less than 25 bucks. Never realized it was a problem.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm part owner of shop which among other things makes keys. We've tried three times - with different blanks to make A/S keys. My partner Bob bet me $10 that his copies would work - Close but no cigar, and since I'd tried twice before I wouldn't take his $10.

Last time I was in Jackson Center I bought two blanks - which I personally cut - as I had two of the prior three times. They worked perfectly. I've checked the blank catalogs and there are a few ILCO and TRI-MARK keys that look almost exactly the same, but aren't interchangeable (and I can modify a shank length if it's needed).

If you buy at the mothership, I think the keys were only $4 or $5 - still a considerable markup, but if they work, they work. I'm always a bit shocked at how much they mark up their shipping, but then they aren't in the shipping business, nor are they professional locksmiths.

Airstream has used a LOT of different keys and locks over the years. If you're unwilling to buy your keys AT or from Airstream, I second the opinion that you MUST go to a professional locksmith. (The big box hardware stores - you'll almost NEVER find anyone who can even match a key blank.) Locksmiths charge for travel time, so the most cost effective way to get keys done is "in bulk". It's often real hard to bring an Airstream to a locksmith's office (they don't locate in malls with big parking lots, but you can often find a industrial parking lot near a locksmith's office. Of course if you have a big rally, several owners needing work could call the same locksmith.

Paula
Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
After unsuccessfully trying to get the keys duplicated to our 05 Bambi at a real hardware store (which had a section of the store devoted to keys/locks, and whose owner prided himself on being to duplicate any key). The owner himself cut some keys, but said they may not work, and he was right. We finally had to go to the AS dealership where we bought the trailer. They told us only Airstream, or their dealers could supply the blanks. They only charged $3 per key, but it even took them two tries to cut the keys right because they used the wrong TriMark blanks the first time.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote