Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Trouble Duplicating Door Key

I am trying to get a duplicate set of Bambi keys before my next trip. I've been successful with all the keys except the main door key. I've tried 4 locksmiths in town with no luck. Duplicate keys fit into the lock but won't turn.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions?
BambiBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Airstream has the key blanks on their online store...
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I'm on it, thanks for the help.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Experienced at cutting keys

I'm a well trained key-cutter, and my business partner Bob and I have found blanks that look exactly like Airstream ones... we've both cut them and they don't work. Drives me mildly insane ... which ain't that far to drive in my case.

Bob who's "thrifty" went so far as to bet me $10 that HIS superior cutting skills would make a match. He ruined six sets of blanks before giving up. I took pity on him and settled for him buying me a coke!

You gotta get the blanks from Airstream online store.

Paula
Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Too funny, just ordered the blank. Hopefully, my keycutter will have success this time.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
How do you get a key made if you have lost the original?

Al
Archersfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
We had a similar problem with our '08. We ended up ordering a blank key from Colonial Airstream so this could be another source.

Good luck.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Well I will tell you that keys that work perfectly can be made from non Trimark blanks. When I had my 2007 20' Safari I had keys made by a locksmith in Rocky Mount, NC that worked both the door and deadbolt perfectly - had two of each made. So it is a matter of finding a locksmith who will take the time to find the best non Trimark blank to use. Too bad I don't still have the trailer - I could give you the blank numbers.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
BambiBirder
You may want to try other lock smiths. I was able to buy Tri/Mark key blanks from a local lock smith in Lapeer County Michigan. He cut the keys for both the door and the deadbolt and they work in the locks as well as the originals. The blanks were marked with the Tri/Mark logo and he had them in inventory so they must be available.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi Birder View Post
I am trying to get a duplicate set of Bambi keys before my next trip. I've been successful with all the keys except the main door key. I've tried 4 locksmiths in town with no luck. Duplicate keys fit into the lock but won't turn.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm a well trained key-cutter, and my business partner Bob and I have found blanks that look exactly like Airstream ones... we've both cut them and they don't work. Drives me mildly insane ... which ain't that far to drive in my case.

Bob who's "thrifty" went so far as to bet me $10 that HIS superior cutting skills would make a match. He ruined six sets of blanks before giving up. I took pity on him and settled for him buying me a coke!

You gotta get the blanks from Airstream online store.

Paula
Hi, I had a local lock smith make extra keys for my dead bolt, but he didn't have any blanks for the main door lock. I was determined to have keys made without ordering from Airstream or the lock manufacture. Another lock smith made me keys for the main door and guaranteed that they would work; And like the rest of you, they didn't. I looked at the key cut over and over and over, trying to figure out why they wouldn't work. The cut was perfect. Here is the secret that I discovered: Try the factory key then try the lock smith cut key, and if you look very closely, you will see that the lock smith key doesn't go into the key slot far enough for the teeth on the key to line up with the tumblers. OK the secret is: The base of the key is about .010 of an inch too wide. I filed mine until the key base fits into the key slot and they turn perfectly. So take all those keys and start filing them.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Kat-keys, a locksmith in St. Paul, has the proper Trimark blank in stock and was able to cut a working pair of duplicates for me on the first try.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I have an 88 Excella and the PO had lost the key for the door latch. I took the latch assembly off and took it to a local locksmith. He made two keys in about 10 minutes without having a key to match. I had called several locksmiths that only had mobile services. The locksmith I took the project to had a nice work space and large inventory of key blanks. He also had the experience to make a key to the original cylinder without replacing the cylinder. Finding a good locksmith like any good craftsman is sometimes hard. Good luck.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Replacement keys

The keys for the deadbolt had been misplaced by the previous owner. I called Tri Mark, gave them the serial # (obtained from the Check Out sheet) and they are sending me new keys.
Rod
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote