Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well what do you know, I had to break into my trailer the other night, now there is a big hole in my screen too. Luckily my skinny little arm could reach the handle and turn the button to open the door. I can't blame anything but impatience and the inablility to find my keys. I will have to check to see if I have that Keeler thing. Oh, by the way, I get the message

cclarkego

Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
Well what do you know, I had to break into my trailer the other night, now there is a big hole in my screen too. Luckily my skinny little arm could reach the handle and turn the button to open the door. I can't blame anything but impatience and the inablility to find my keys. I will have to check to see if I have that Keeler thing. Oh, by the way, I get the message

cclarkego
The lock for the 1966 models was a Bargmann L-100 Special, which has the extended striker bolt.

That lock seldom fails, but, a few do.

When that happens, replacing the lock is the best way to go, since it will only probably last another 40 years. Check the striker pocket as well, for wear. If that needs replacing as well, then might as well add a new door gasket.

The biggest failure with that lock, was breaking off the interior handle.

Andy

Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Longview , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Hi boo_n_sue, Take a look here. Keeler Lock Repair Kit KLRkit ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart and Inland RV Center Inc. kits to fix a Keeler lock.
Thanks for the info on the kits to replace the latch assembly. There's a big price difference between Inland RV and Out-of-Door Mart. The kits look identical except that ODMRV provides the rivets. Does anyone know why the kit at ODMRV is only about $60 and at Inland RV it's about $192? I'm not opposed to paying a higher price if it's a better quality assembly.

I did get the latch removed so I can now go in and out of the door. I think replacing it with all new hardware is probably the way to go. The piece that broke seems pretty flimsy and I'd hate to go to the trouble and cost of having a new piece fabricated. It would probably cost me more than just buying the new hardware which I think I can probably install myself.

Tags
cannot go outside, emergency exit, trapped, door