Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
The key broke off in the lock!

I always have locked the trailer from the outside with the deadbolt lock. I noticed recently that the lock was getting a bit sticky. I went down to the storage area with my trusty can of Silicone Spray the other day. When I turned the key the lock would not budge. I put a little more pressure on the key, not much mind you, and the key broke off in the lock. I used a very thin bladded screwdriver to wedge in behind the key and was able to move it just enough to unlock the bolt.

There is no way I can get what's left of the key out of the lock. Anybody have a suggestion? There is one screw inside the door but removing it dows not seem to have any effect. I guess a locksmith is my next move but I have the bad feeling that he is going to want to drill out the lock.

Please tell me there is another way.

Thanks;

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
The first step is to get the lock (with latch handle) out. This is done by removing the screws from both the inside of door and the side of door (may have to pull away weather striping). Once out you then need to get the tumbler out. The tumbler is the round part that the key fits into. It can be removed by undoing the set screw holding it into place. Next pull out the tumbler, and from behind you should be able to push the broke out key. (I would rap piece of tape around the tumble keys so they do come out of place when taking the broken part of the key out). Now place a un broken key into the key slot and place tumbler back together...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
John, I think it is probable a locksmith can use a pic to reach in above the key and hook onto the inner end of the key and pull it out. There is another way that worked on the pre-nineties trailers with the frame around the window glass. I don't know if this can be done without cracking the glass. On the older models it was possible to very carefully pry out on either lower corner of the window just enough to slide a piece of straighted coat hanger wire with a small loop twisted on to the end. You would push the wire in and hook the loop over the window locking tab and then pull the locking tab to release the window lock. This had to be done on both window locks. After opening the window you cut the window screen out and crawl into the trailer. Once inside you can remove the deadbolt lock or the main door lock and open the door. Maybe someone here on the forums can tell you if they have pried out the new frameless glass sucessfuly without breaking the glass? Charlie E.
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Take it to a locksmith, he will have the correct tool to retrieve the broken key peice. I have the tool in a lockpick set,but that does not do U much good. Locksmith can retrieve the peice and make U a new key. If the locksmith suggests he drill the lock out tell him NO THANKS Ill find someone else.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Thanks, guys. I will call a locksmith until I find one with the proper tool to retrieve the key and then take it to him.

The Forum comes thru once again.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you could try a small tweezer with serrations in the jaws. sometimes a bobby pin will do the trick.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
I saw this work once but have never tried it myself. Straighten out a paper clip. Then hammer it out flat. Flat enough to slide in beside the key but not so thin that you risk breaking it off in the lock as well. Use something (small file or knife blade) to give the flattened part of the paper clip some irregularity or serration. Slide the paper clip in along side of the broken part of the key, then using a twisting and in and out pumping motion try to coax the key back out of the loick. The lock will need to be in the unlocked position. Good Luck. Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Relentless, sorry to hear about your key/lock problem. However, I am glad to read about the problem and the various ways to fix the oroblem. Take care.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Seasons Greeting~
IMHO, I would go with the locksmith.
Also, Since your trailer is so new, I would make sure he understood that I don't want any damages or holes drilled..
Just thinking out loud, if there's ever a case for a dual door unit..
Good Luck~!
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote