Old 04-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Take the good with the bad.

Hi again, We towed "Our new airstream" home Saturday. The trailer towed very very nicely. "Almost as good as a Goldrush" according to person towing it. One problem the key for the deadbolt was missing and during the 400 miles home the door flung open and punched a hole in the skin. Talk about heartbreaking. How the heck do I fix it??? Perhaps a patch in the shape of a maple leaf (since it came from Canada)??? I will hopefully have pictures to follow soon.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1. Rivet in place a heavier piece of aluminum and tell people it is a striker plate.

2. Install another window.

3. Find a largish dealer insignia and attach that.

4. Put in a locked access door - say another water fill door. Tell people it is an access, but don't bother to say what exactly it accesses.

5. Go to the next VAC rally you can find and see what the other vintage coach owners did to cover up the hole in theirs!

Good luck,

Mark

Old 04-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Sounds like I have to get friendly with the rivet gun. I have to say I'm really excited that we got the AS home. Yeah....
Old 04-05-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Take the good with the bad

Greetings Katt!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
One problem the key for the deadbolt was missing and during the 400 miles home the door flung open and punched a hole in the skin. Talk about heartbreaking. How the heck do I fix it???
This is one of those nightmares that many Vintage coach owners have had to deal with. After having had my door knob and deadbolt rebuilt, I wasn't particularly worried about having the door fly open in-transit - - but after having the coach polished and Plasticoated at the Ruth's (P & S Trailer Service in Helena, Ohion), the tumbler failed in the deadbolt and it couldn't be secured - - less than ten miles from the Ruth's, a strong gust of wind sent the door flapping and the knob eneded up puncturing the side of the coach. A cell phone call to the Ruths with the good news that they could probably repair it that day - - towed it back and the repair was a very inconspicuous square patch with a rubber bumper that you can see in the photo below - - they were very cautious to seal around the perimiter of the patch with Vulkem - - it has been nearly three years and the patch has remained waterproof.

Good luck with your repair - - there is an excellent modern replacement for the early '60s factory deadbolt - - Florence in the parts department at Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa located the replacement deadbolt for my Overlander.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Florence in the parts department at Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa located the replacement deadbolt for my Overlander.
Florence is the vintage AS owner's best friend! We've known her since 1994, and think she's the cat's meow.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Wow Kevin that repair looks great. I take it I can find the number for that RV place on the net? I hope my repair looks as good as yours.

Kattrina
Old 04-05-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Take the good with the bad

Greetings Katt!

Quote:
I take it I can find the number for that RV place on the net?
You can find both Ace Fogdall RV and P and S Trailer Service on the net at:

P and S Trailer Service, Helena, Ohio

Ace Fogdall RV, Cedar Falls, Iowa

Both of these businesses have been involved with Airstream for several decades and are very Vintage Friendly.

Good luck with your repairs!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:32 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks again. This site and the people on it are the best. Hopefully one day I will be able to be as knowledgable as most of you.