Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Still looking for advice

Does the Bargman L100 lock set fit the door of a 64 Overlander? Kind of urgent issue for me as I have renters who can't lock the door!

What set do I need? I'm in Canada and don't know if i can find a supplier here... will keep doing research but would LOVE to have someone let me know what I should be looking for.

Thanks.
wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am fairly sure the L100 fits as does the L200. Both are no longer made and are quickly becoming very expensive. You can also purchase a RV dead bolt from VTS and it will fit right in with just a little effort
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Still looking for advice

Greetings wigwag!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwag View Post
Does the Bargman L100 lock set fit the door of a 64 Overlander? Kind of urgent issue for me as I have renters who can't lock the door!

What set do I need? I'm in Canada and don't know if i can find a supplier here... will keep doing research but would LOVE to have someone let me know what I should be looking for.

Thanks.
I am not certain where they sourced the new handle/lockset and deadbolt for my '64 Overlander, but they are a very close match for the originals. My source was Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa (they were a long-time Airstream dealer and are now an Authorized Sevice Center). Florence in the parts department was always able to help me source the unusual parts for my Overlander.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin

P.S.: The photos below are of the locks installed by Ace Fogdall RV:

As you can see, the lockdets are very similar to the originals, but are not an exact match. From a functionality standpoint, I have not had any problems with either lock, and they have been on the coach for several years. The deadbolt locks much more securely than the original. The mounting holes in the door reguired very little if any modification to premit the new locks to fit.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Those look fabulous, 64! Were they outrageously expensive? And how hard are they to install? I have no one within a 100 miles who can do this kinda work and so will be looking at getting a "general repairman'. Yikes.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Still looking for advice

Greetings wigwag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwag View Post
Those look fabulous, 64! Were they outrageously expensive? And how hard are they to install? I have no one within a 100 miles who can do this kinda work and so will be looking at getting a "general repairman'. Yikes.
The installed price that included both locks and abor was right at $145.00. Ace Fogdall RV installed the locks for me, but looking at the difference between the original and replacements there was very little if any modification required. A few rivets were drilled out around the handle/lockset, but otherwise the installation was remove/replace . . . it doesn't appear that the interior skin of the door was removed as is necessary with lock replacement in many Airstream products.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Toronto , Ontario
Hi overlander64. Bad news, and not unexpected. Airstream has "discontinued" the lockset, and Ace Fogdall RV doesn't have any left.

A woman named Kristie told me they have something called a "yoke" and she sent a picture as an attachment, which I couldn't open. I'll see if I can find it on Google. Will also check to see whether any other suppliers may have a lockset still in stock.

Anybody got any ideas as to who I could approach?

Thanks again.