Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
San Anselmo , California
Screen door hinge replacement

We have a 2004 16ft Bambi CCD International that has no screen door. The previous owner removed the screen door (I have no idea why) and cut the screen door hinges, leaving only a "flap" where the hinge should be. The part of the hinge that the pin goes through is still there and apparently working just fine, but there isn't much left otherwise. I'm going to attach some pictures of it so you can see what I mean.

Before I realized what a pain it would be to install, I ordered and received a new screen door, which came without hinges. I am trying to figure out the best and easiest way to get this door mounted properly. To purchase a complete new hinge set is $300, which I would rather not do after having paid $350 for the new door. Not to mention that installing the complete new hinge set doesn't sound like fun (with the whole issue of the bolts on the inside not being fixed, etc. according to these forums).

I could purchase the new kit then take it apart, pull off the screen door hinge, pull the pin out of my current hinge and install the screen door hinge, but that still leaves me with the problem of having spent $300 on a part that I can only use one small piece of.

So far, the best option I can come up with is to try to find some used hinges or a used screen door hinge and have someone machine it and weld the new hinge to the flap that's left from the old hinge. I'm not sure if this is even possible, but can't really pursue it until I locate some old screen door hinges.

So, I'd like to throw this out to you helpful and smart folks. What would you do? Do you have any ideas where I can get used screen door hinges? I've contacted a couple of RV salvage yards so far with no luck, but plan to keep trying.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130718_093437_resized.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	191490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130718_093448_resized.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	191491  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130718_093458_resized.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	191492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130718_093506_resized.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	191493  

nbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I would call the factory, explain the problem and beg for new screen door hinge plates.

Worth a try.

Bob
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I have a hunch that the main hinge pin is not designed to come out, meaning that your only options are replacing the entire hinge assembly (it is as big of a PITA as advertised), or to weld on the missing half of the hinge (probably only possible to do accurately if you have an example to set next to it to get the proper angle.

Or go without a screen door making all that clattering noise all the time. I took my screen door off because it was bent and wouldn't seat properly into door frame. It was also cracked around the rivet holes for the hinges. So far, I haven't missed it at all, and might not reinstall it. Maybe I'll get some of those mosquito net "curtain" things "as seen on TV" to fill the void.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
San Anselmo , California
Thanks for the replies. I think I will try calling the factory - worth a try, and the only thing they can say is no!

I did try one of those "as seen on TV" things but they don't fit right, don't attach easily and don't work all that well. The previous owner had a mosquito net that slid on a wire that he ran from one side of the foam inner door jamb to the other. It seemed like it would be more of a visual impediment to bugs than an actual one, but it kind of worked.

The pin is removeable and replaceable, even though it's not easy and wasn't really made to be removed. There's a youtube video that goes over how to do it, done by the Airstream dude at the factory. But more work than I'd like to do if I can avoid it - just lining things up again will be a bear, I think.

If I didn't have the $350 door sitting in my garage, I would probably have abandoned the project already. But since I went at it backward and bought the door without knowing what was involved, I'm sort of committed. So, if you know of anyone with some hinges they'd be willing to send my way....

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts and ideas.
nbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Have U tried a wielding shop. Many shops are qualified at wielding aluminum. It may be a small matter for them to make you an adapter and wield it on. I work with metal smiths that are experts with aluminum. Talk with them before you get too frustrated.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote