Old 10-17-2003, 09:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Rivet holes and Door Latches

The PO said someone tried to break in, and he had to replace the door latch (knob). It wasn't a pritty repair. I cut an aluminum panel to cover the damage and used Olympic rivets to attach it to the door.

The panel had pilot holes, and my mounting strategy was to drill a corner hole through the panel and door and rivet the corner in place. I then positioned the panel and drilled/rivited the opposite corner. At this point I drilled out the remaining holes and noticed that shavings built up between the door and panel. As a result the panel had to be removed, the savings removed, and then rivited down completly.

How have others handled this shaving problem?

I also had to repair the handle to the right of the door. It was tore loose. The handle was remounted on a 0.125 thick aluminun bar, and the bar was screwed in place. I had to use screws because I wouldn't be able to get the rivet shaver in position to clean the rivet heads, and someday I would like to remove the handle to have it rechromed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
Site Team
, Minnesota

Jim, I think I would start at one upper corner and work your way rivet by rivet in opposite directions until you arrived at the opposite corner. That way there won't be any buckles develop, in addition to letting the shavings fall free.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote