Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Replica Bargman L-100 DEFECT

i believe there is a defect in the reproduction Bargman L100. After spending many hours on this, and reading other threads (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ir-100171.html) , . Vintage trailer supply offered no help, aside from "take it to the locksmith if turning the screw doesn't work". In the following photos ill show you why i think it's a defect.
This lockset was installed new, out of the box and failed on our first trip. it spent the last 2 years in a box after having to buy a second L 100 from VTS in 2010. that one has held up.

this is what the inside of the exterior handle should look like all the time :

But because of a lose handle, that center square with a screw in it doesn't sit all the way into the cam's square hole ... see how it looks below, when i am not holding the handle 'pushed in'... so the cam falls off after i left go of the handle because the handle slips out just enough so that the cam is only 1/2 way on the square piece of the handle.

NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I am a locksmith. Can you post a picture of the lock with the screw out? I need to see behind it.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I posted about this on my blog. It is a serious problem and has resulted in numerous clients getting locked out of their trailers. When it happened to me, it prompted me to write about it. I would post a link but that violates a term of service and I do not want my hand slapped again. Just yesterday I had a client swing through because of this issue.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I can see what's going on a bit but it's hard with it not all apart. If someone wants to send it to me I will figure it out and post my findings and send it back and of course repair it to the best of my abilities. If you have the keys that would save me some work.
Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Washer install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
i believe there is a defect in the reproduction Bargman L100. After spending many hours on this, and reading other threads (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ir-100171.html) , . Vintage trailer supply offered no help, aside from "take it to the locksmith if turning the screw doesn't work". In the following photos ill show you why i think it's a defect.
This lockset was installed new, out of the box and failed on our first trip. it spent the last 2 years in a box after having to buy a second L 100 from VTS in 2010. that one has held up.

this is what the inside of the exterior handle should look like all the time :

But because of a lose handle, that center square with a screw in it doesn't sit all the way into the cam's square hole ... see how it looks below, when i am not holding the handle 'pushed in'... so the cam falls off after i left go of the handle because the handle slips out just enough so that the cam is only 1/2 way on the square piece of the handle.

I've seen a thin washer installed to hold these parts together.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote