Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
Replacing the...thing

Does anyone know how I can replace this?

Sorry it's blurry.
It got broke when the I got locked in. Yeah, I know what you're thinking because I thought the same thing when the last owner told me the screen in one of the windows was gone because he got locked in and had to crawl out. "What kind of idiot gets locked inside?!"
So anyhow, at this point (which is odd because it was fine to begin with) the door doesnt lock...and it doesnt really stay shut. Well it does, but if you put pressure on it it pops open. So I figure if I replace that thing (which is confusing...it's riveted on...) with a thing that is thinner, it would stay shut and have less chance of getting locked in. It's weird because I used the door for like a month before it decided to stick shut. The handle turned and the door moved but something in there was stuck. Anyhow, really need to replace it, no idea how, help!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this looks like a door latch "striker plate" and you drill out the two pop rivets and replace it with a new striker plate and pop rivets. But I don't know why you got locked in.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You can get a new one from Inland RV.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa View Post
Does anyone know how I can replace this?

Sorry it's blurry.
It got broke when the I got locked in. Yeah, I know what you're thinking because I thought the same thing when the last owner told me the screen in one of the windows was gone because he got locked in and had to crawl out. "What kind of idiot gets locked inside?!"
So anyhow, at this point (which is odd because it was fine to begin with) the door doesnt lock...and it doesnt really stay shut. Well it does, but if you put pressure on it it pops open. So I figure if I replace that thing (which is confusing...it's riveted on...) with a thing that is thinner, it would stay shut and have less chance of getting locked in. It's weird because I used the door for like a month before it decided to stick shut. The handle turned and the door moved but something in there was stuck. Anyhow, really need to replace it, no idea how, help!
That part is a cast stainless steel striker pocket. It also uses a small brass shim.

It's replaced by drilling out those 2 rivets.

Andy
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
How do you drill out rivets? And how do you replace them?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You use a 1/8" drill bit to take them out & replace them with 1/8" rivets & a rivet gun. To drill them out, you center the drill bit in the hole & drill. The outside part will come off (probably on your drill bit) and the center will fall down into the oblivion of the trailer wall. You're gonna need a rivet gun if you have an Airstream!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
This operation requires a "pop" rivet tool and rivets. That is an inexpensive tool, and the rivets are easy to put in. They are mostly used on interior fastenings.

The solid, large ones on the outside are another matter. They are a different procedure, and require an air-powered rivet gun, and something called a "bucking" bar. An alternative to them is a tpe of rivet called and Olympic rivet, which is a pop rivet with a head that needs to be "shaved" down, and will resemble a bucked rivet when done.

Try a pop rivet first, you'll see how simple and easy it is.

ps: regarding blurry pictures: many folks don't realize that most digital cameras today can do clear close-ups: look for a button on it that has a little flower symbol. Press that button it before shooting close shots. It makes a wonderful difference!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
This operation requires a "pop" rivet tool and rivets. That is an inexpensive tool, and the rivets are easy to put in. They are mostly used on interior fastenings.

The solid, large ones on the outside are another matter. They are a different procedure, and require an air-powered rivet gun, and something called a "bucking" bar. An alternative to them is a tpe of rivet called and Olympic rivet, which is a pop rivet with a head that needs to be "shaved" down, and will resemble a bucked rivet when done.

Try a pop rivet first, you'll see how simple and easy it is.

ps: regarding blurry pictures: many folks don't realize that most digital cameras today can do clear close-ups: look for a button on it that has a little flower symbol. Press that button it before shooting close shots. It makes a wonderful difference!
My camera takes good closeups, I just didnt bother since it was late and dark
Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Ok, so if I replace this myself do you guys think I can replace it with something else? Like a regular door one? I don't want one that's as thick because I'm hoping if I get one thinner I wont risk getting locked in (I'm guessing that had something to do with the door...bolt thing didnt pull back quite all the way and got stuck on the striker plate)
Old 08-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
undetermined washington

well, I do not know where "undetermined" is located. If you are anywhere near Battle Ground, WA, (Southwest part of state, just north of Portland, OR) I will be happy to help. Also, I am skeptical, the striker broke by itself. I think there is something else amiss. This broken piece is a result, and not a cause. I would hate to have you fix this, only to duplicate the exact process because the cause wasn't discovered. At any rate, a few minutes with an auto body shop technician or an RV repair technician (some are mobile) will educate you on what tools are needed and they can give their two cents to boot. Good luck.
bill
oh-be sure to give the door some other kind of latching if you move the trailer-don't allow the door to spring open when towing-the bill will be considerably higher.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That part is a cast stainless steel striker pocket. It also uses a small brass shim.

It's replaced by drilling out those 2 rivets.

Andy
Andy,

You must be busy today. You usually give the how to's on removal, replacement, parts required and how to do it. It's how I learn.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Chris said that if you pay his way from MN he'll come take care of it for you!
Actually, you probably need to replace the striker plate with the same one again - a household one will NOT work, without a major modification and is not worth the effort. Pop rivets are easy to do - I can do them all, and drill out and replace, (and get Vulkem under my nails, and cut holes in the side of the AS too!). You're best bet is to buy one from Out of Doors Mart, or Inland, or Vintage RV. Don't know why it locked on you, but probably was something going wrong inside it anyway. Older trailers get lots of little (or sometimes not so little) quirky problems as they age. Replace it correctly and you'll get 30 some more years out if it!

Kay
Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
well, I do not know where "undetermined" is located. If you are anywhere near Battle Ground, WA, (Southwest part of state, just north of Portland, OR) I will be happy to help. Also, I am skeptical, the striker broke by itself. I think there is something else amiss. This broken piece is a result, and not a cause. I would hate to have you fix this, only to duplicate the exact process because the cause wasn't discovered. At any rate, a few minutes with an auto body shop technician or an RV repair technician (some are mobile) will educate you on what tools are needed and they can give their two cents to boot. Good luck.
bill
oh-be sure to give the door some other kind of latching if you move the trailer-don't allow the door to spring open when towing-the bill will be considerably higher.
That's so nice of you to offer to help! Unfortunately I'm up by Belfair which is about 3hrs away. The striker didnt break by itself, it was broken off because I was locked in and since I was shouting to not break the $500 door handle/lock the striker plate was what got the axe.
Does anyone have any tips on how to bungee (or something) the door closed? I cant figure out anything that I can attach anything to to keep it closed for sure.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you have an outside doorhandle, you need a doohicky

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...tml#post191050

Check out this thread for more ideas.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote