Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
1968 24' Tradewind
Talkeetna , Alaska
Replacement door handle for 1968 Trade Wind

I am a newbie to this forum & to trailer life in general. My husband and I just purchased a 1968 Trade Wind. We are in the process of getting it road worthy for an epic journey. We are leaving our home in Alaska in search of something new & different. We will be traveling with our 2 young children indefinitely. So far things are coming together quite smoothly... with the exception of our door handle!! There's a mechanism inside the plates that is broken, rendering it inoperable.

Any advice on finding a replacement or a used door handle that could be used for parts? The only ones I've seen online are the flat, flap-style door handles. Ours is a long shaft that turns up or down to open the door (like the ones on airplanes). Would love to keep that same style handle, if possible.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice. Although this is my first post, I have already spent many hours on this site doing research prior to making our Airstream purchase. We are so excited to be a part of this wonderful community & can't wait to get out on the road!

JenBarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Can you post a pic to confirm the make and model of your door handle/lock. If it is the KT that is on my '72 Trade Wind, I believe I recently saw that has some replacement well as the entire mechanism (which is quite expensive). Good Luck!

arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
1968 24' Tradewind
Talkeetna , Alaska
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1409156867.890837.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	220006

Here is a picture of the door handle, including lovely rig job to keep the door from flying open while driving.

JenBarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1969 21' Globetrotter
1973 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Easley , South Carolina
You need a Bargman L-100 or L-200 lock with a long stem.
I will help you if can take it off and point out the piece that broken. I have a couple of broken locks sitting around.

I will send you a private message.
Rick (Montanablue)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello JenBarnett:

Parts are difficult to find for that lock. You should take montanablue's offer. You might just get lucky and find he has just the correct part for you.

Your photo shows your presently using bungee chords to hold the door shut. Airstream trailers of that vintage are notorious for the door flying open and banging about while traveling down the road.

Here is a link to a homemade device that prevents that from happening. Many of us with that style of door have made several of these.

Make Your Own Suicide Door Security Latch
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Inland sells a modified modern Tri-Mark lock for '60s vintage Airstreams that will work if you have above average mechanical skills. I bought one for mine and love it, but the install is a nightmare. Basically if you don't know how to drill a square hole through the door frame, don't do it. The "optional" built in deadbolt is only optional if you don't want to be able to lock the door from the inside. That's the one that required drilling the door frame. Installation took my father and I working together a good solid six hours.

AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
1997 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Dually 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote