Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Lexington , South Carolina
Red face Removing Door Handle on '65 Caravel?

First of all I'm proud to say this is my first post on the forums! Why so proud? Because I have gutted the interior, repaired the rotted floors, insulated and started to polish the trailer just from reading all the great post on this site. This is truly a great community filled with a wealth of information. Except for one thing.......

Now, the embarrassing part. I'm stuck and have given up on trying to remove the door handle from the Caravel. I have the two screws and the interior knob off, but I can not figure out what is holding the handle on. Any help would be greatly appreciated......so embarrassing.....
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #2

1990 34' Excella
Brooksville , Florida
Did you ever get it out? I have a similar problem. My key broke off in the lock and I cant get the handle off.
megansgrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
If your door handle/knob is the same as used on my '64 Bambi II (and it might be as our trailers are very close cousins), there is a spring that holds the interior knob on. It had to be compressed to release the knob when I took it to get re-keyed. Then the whole assembly can be removed.

If the spring is not obvious to you, I will go and take a look and refresh my memory and try to explain it better. It has been a few months since I did this.

Ben
Old 01-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I have the interior knob off. It's the assembly I'm stuck at. I was just looking at it again and there may be a C style clip on the interior shaft? I'm trying not to break anything. Here are some pictures of my set up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1144716...eat=directlink
Old 02-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I hate following post that simply end without the original poster not giving me closer. Even if they didn't resolve the problem.

But have no fear...I have the door handle removed and pictures to prove it.
I was very nervous damaging the handle and hunting down another. After talking to Colin Hyde on the phone today, I was ordering an axle, I asked Colin about my special problem. He told me I had it apart as needed. He felt that the shaft that holds the inner and outer assemblies together were essentially stuck together and I had a friction problem. I immediately went outside after the conversation and tried harder. I was still afraid of damaging the handle and interior skin, with the pressure I was applying. But, just as I thought "this is way too much pressure" I heard a pop, my heart sank and the interior handle went flying several feet..... It was off and only in two pieces.

Here is the proof.... and a big THANK YOU to Colin Hyde.....He is just as cool in person as he is on The VAP!

Tags
caravel