Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Putting a '79 screen door back on the hinges

Some welds on my screen door had broken. While I wanted to have the repair done with the screen door still on the trailer, either the trailer would not fit in their shop or access roads to their shop were too tight to get the trailer there. So I drilled out the six bucked rivets and six large head pop rivets and took the screen door off. Took it to a shop that came highly roecommended and got it welded back together for $40, while I waited.

Putting the door back on however, has been a problem. Oh, I can get it secured with pop rivets and washers, but after opening and closing it a handful of times the pop rivets are working loose. The door doesn't fall off, but is a bit floppy on the hinges so it would only be a matter of time.

My screen door has a spring/ball type of catch to keep it closed and the door takes a shock every time that latch whacks the door frame and snaps it shut. That seems to be what is loosening the pop rivets.

I'm using aluminum pop rivets which is what were originally there, maybe steel would be stronger. I've also considered drilling through the tubing of the screen door frame so I can use nuts and bolts, though pop rivets would probably still have to be used where bucked rivets once were.

Anyone been though this before and come up with a workable solution?

Christopher

Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Will Olympic rivets work?

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Some welds on my screen door had broken. While I wanted to have the repair done with the screen door still on the trailer, either the trailer would not fit in their shop or access roads to their shop were too tight to get the trailer there. So I drilled out the six bucked rivets and six large head pop rivets and took the screen door off. Took it to a shop that came highly roecommended and got it welded back together for $40, while I waited.

Putting the door back on however, has been a problem. Oh, I can get it secured with pop rivets and washers, but after opening and closing it a handful of times the pop rivets are working loose. The door doesn't fall off, but is a bit floppy on the hinges so it would only be a matter of time.

My screen door has a spring/ball type of catch to keep it closed and the door takes a shock every time that latch whacks the door frame and snaps it shut. That seems to be what is loosening the pop rivets.

I'm using aluminum pop rivets which is what were originally there, maybe steel would be stronger. I've also considered drilling through the tubing of the screen door frame so I can use nuts and bolts, though pop rivets would probably still have to be used where bucked rivets once were.

Anyone been though this before and come up with a workable solution?

Christopher

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I thought about that. Not sure. The Olympic rivets I have may be too long to fit inside the frame but I'll check this evening.

Christopher
Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I don't think olympics will fit. I used buck rivets on the 6 exposed ones and pops on the 6 others. I did find that one of the hinges was bent too far and caused the door to flex when the door was closed. I believe that this caused the door to flex and crack where the rivets attached (bottom hinge). The hinge was bent back before the door was secured and it had been fine for a couple of years.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Richard, what did you use to bend the hinge and install the rivets? I've never installed buck rivets before but am willing to learn.

Christopher
Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Got the screen door back on securely. At the edge of the door I used 1/2" 6-32 flathead screws with washers and plastic insert self-locking nuts.

Where fasteners attach blindly into the hollow door frame I used Olympic rivets. The ones I had were too long by about 1/8" but I found that if I slowly squeezed the rivet gun I was able to push them in all the way as they crimped, with extra squeeze to go before the stem popped.

Seems secure for now and if there prove to be any problems I'll post an update.

Christopher