Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Bel Air , Maryland
Pushing in door to unlatch problem

I bought a used trailer and the PO said that someone had broken into the trailer and bent the door. To unlatch the door you have to push/pull the door shut to release the tension on the latch and then unlatch the door. I need to get this fixed so my young kids can open the door if needed. Any advise on repair? - Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have an 86 Sovereign and had the same problem -- it wasn't the door but the gasket. It was so old it wasn't resilient, no "give" and held the door hard against the latch plate.

If the door is indeed bent, I personally would take it to a reputable AS dealer. Aluminum, unlike steel, has no "memory" so reshaping it is a problem.

Good luck,

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverscream View Post
I bought a used trailer and the PO said that someone had broken into the trailer and bent the door. To unlatch the door you have to push/pull the door shut to release the tension on the latch and then unlatch the door. I need to get this fixed so my young kids can open the door if needed. Any advise on repair? - Thanks
The lock striker bolt could also be "grooved".

If so, you will need to replace the lock, since the company that made your lock, is out of business. No parts available.

You should also check the "striker pocket" for unusual wear.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you can do some wood working consider cutting a piece of 2x6 with a bow slightly less the the curve of the door frame. The reason for cutting the curve slightly less that the curve of the door frams is you have to OVER BEND metal to reach the desired bend. Then with this wooden form place it against the outside edge of the door and with clamps pull the door back into shape. If you are only moving the curvature of the door a bit this will work. Do this a little at a time checking as you go to be sure you don't bend it TOO much.

Did this in the field last year for a door that was out about 1 1/2.

As far as the lock is concerned I just had to rebuild mine because the latch broke off the plate that pulls it open. Also had to make a new spring for the dead bolt lock out of a hack saw blade.

You put your mind to it you can fix anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0848.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	89165  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Bel Air , Maryland
Grooved latch/deadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The lock striker bolt could also be "grooved".

If so, you will need to replace the lock, since the company that made your lock, is out of business. No parts available.

You should also check the "striker pocket" for unusual wear.

Andy
I looked at the door latch and it is grooved on the street side. The dead bolt is grooved on the interior side. So I would guess I need to replace both. Any ideas on where I can get the replacement lock and deadbolt? The lock/latch looks like it gets removed by taking out screws and pulling towards the outside. I don't know about the deadbolt. Any ideas?

thanks, much appreciated!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you have a pull handle on the outside of your trailer you will have to remove that handle to get to the dead bolt. The picture shows 2 access holes cut to remove the handle. The dead bolt is bolted on and accessed through the upper hole. You will find the lock potted in caulking that can be dug off to get to the bolts. Make the access holes small enough that you can cover them with white blank electrical plates. You can just turn the dead bolt over and use the other face

The door lock is no longer available. The replacement is a kludge looking thing that is held in place by over sized plates on both sides. Short of the spring having broken I can't think of any other part that can't be fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0897.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	89318  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote