Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mpls , Minnesota
Problems unlocking door with key

Hi Everyone, I have been reading this forum for quite a while now as we considered the plunge from pop-up to AS. Happy to say we are now the proud owners of a gently used 2014 Sport 22. Just took delivery last night, and while the door operation went flawlessly during the walk through, once we got home, I am having a heck of a time unlocking the door with the key. It just does not seem to want to turn completely, almost giving the impression that you're using the wrong key. I was careful not to torque on it too hard, and was finally able to get it by gently wiggling the key as I turn. I tried it several more times, both with the door closed and open, and it does not seem to be any better. It takes me about 6 tries, where I have to gently articulate the key until it finally wants to engage.

Anyone else have similar experience? Any advice such as a teflon lube in the keyhole?

Good news is there is still factory warranty on the trailer, and it was purchased at an authorized dealer, so if all else fails I will address with them but I'm hoping there may be an easy fix.

Thanks!
MN Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi - congrats on the trailer and sorry for the troubles.

My 2012 had a similar problem. Ultimately, I had it fixed under warranty and would highly recommend you do the same (a couple times I got locked INSIDE the trailer...would not have been good in an emergency...).

In the meantime, one thing that worked for me was pushing in on the door while turning the key - this was because of the particular misalignment on mine - yours may be different. But try applying a little pressure with one hand while working the key with the other hand. Let us know how that works.

And I think you only want a graphite lube in your locks but I could be wrong on that...

Good luck and enjoy!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you have the stabilizer jacks down and cranked too tightly, that can actually put the door out of alignment too. Snug them down on blocks, but don't tighten until they won't move. Just half a turn.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Jeff View Post
Hi Everyone, I have been reading this forum for quite a while now as we considered the plunge from pop-up to AS. Happy to say we are now the proud owners of a gently used 2014 Sport 22. Just took delivery last night, and while the door operation went flawlessly during the walk through, once we got home, I am having a heck of a time unlocking the door with the key. It just does not seem to want to turn completely, almost giving the impression that you're using the wrong key. I was careful not to torque on it too hard, and was finally able to get it by gently wiggling the key as I turn. I tried it several more times, both with the door closed and open, and it does not seem to be any better. It takes me about 6 tries, where I have to gently articulate the key until it finally wants to engage.

Anyone else have similar experience? Any advice such as a teflon lube in the keyhole?

Good news is there is still factory warranty on the trailer, and it was purchased at an authorized dealer, so if all else fails I will address with them but I'm hoping there may be an easy fix.

Thanks!
The jacks when used can cause a bind with the entrance door.

Try some silicone spray, on the striker bolt, which could help.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
With my replacement lock set I have to gently pull handle, then key will turn rest of way to lock or unlock, then inside same way as outside lock or unlock except have pin inside that slides up and down
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mpls , Minnesota
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My fist suspicion was also door alignment, but stabilizer jacks are not down, and it has the same issue unlocking with key even with the door in the open position. Would seem that is something internal to the lock...?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Shoot some graphite powder in the key hole. Will more than likely solve the issue.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You might have a replicated key which is not an exact copy of the original.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We had a similar problem with our door lock ( not lock not the deadbolt.) We were constantly having to do the door lock jiggle to lock and unlock. We had it on our warranty list and the tech showed us the trick. He told us insert key and pull toward the back of the trailer then turn key. that will engage the key in the lock. Key and lock work first time everytime now. No repeat problem unless we forget the process

Benn
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
On my older 94 model, I often have to just apply pressure on the door pushing inward with my free hand as I unlock to relieve the pressure on the door lock...
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Vian , Oklahoma
I had assumed that I could get a new set of keys by calling my dealer, or directly to Airstream with the VIN # and proof of ownership. Wrong!! They sent me blanks to have copies made locally (which was successful.) However, I fear the process would have been much more difficult had I not found the extra set of keys to use. I had a medical emergency 800 miles from home and the young man that towed my AS home somehow lost the set he was carrying. All is well now, but "Don't loose those keys!"
Okie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
We had a similar problem with our door lock ( not lock not the deadbolt.) We were constantly having to do the door lock jiggle to lock and unlock. We had it on our warranty list and the tech showed us the trick. He told us insert key and pull toward the back of the trailer then turn key. that will engage the key in the lock. Key and lock work first time everytime now. No repeat problem unless we forget the process

Benn
Wow! That really works! Thanks so much for passing on the tip.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Crowley , Texas
go to home depot and have them cut you a new key. If they don't have a blank, you can get one from the airstream store. HD expert can then cut that one. It will take him longer than a run of the mill ley.. You may need to take it back to him a time or two for fine tuning. Good luck, and welcome to the coolest club and forum on earth.
TopGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
Dan and Lynda

2012 28' International
Bremerton , Washington
I have found that the local lock smith usually carries the blanks for the Airstream locks and can address many of the lock issues.
The Cralls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Vian , Oklahoma
I checked with 6 places in Colorado, Arkansas, and Oklahoma and none of them would do the copy job. Even after I had the blanks from Airstream, the Walmarts said their equipment would not accept them. I tried a Home Depot, Lowe's, local locksmiths, and RV services near by. My problem was solved with the local Ace Hardware that cut them with a their "old fashioned" method from those blanks. I guess there have to be a few difficult situations now and then to keep us on our toes. Time was a factor initially, but that was soon abandoned. Thanks to all that commented, I just thought the info might help others.
Okie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mpls , Minnesota
You guys rock! Sure appreciate all the input, and I think we have it under control. The graphite powder helped, as does pushing back gently on the key. I can pretty much get it on the first try now. Also learned that my keys are "newly cut" with sharp edges. They should get more forgiving with some use as the edges smooth down a bit. Thanks again, Jeff
Old 09-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Problems unlocking door with key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post

Benn
Wow! That really works! Thanks so much for passing on the tip.

Same from me. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums