Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
Pls HELP Replacement of Deadbolt in Handle of '90

Looking for assistance in the
Deadbolt Replacement ’90 34’ Limited in Handle

Hello All- We currently own a 1990 34’ limited. The Deadbolt configuration is “part of’ the grab bar. Additionally, the unit has a key pad for the lock.

This past season, we had difficulties with the Deadbolt. It started to not lock, until we placed the key code in, heard the lock click ( we never had the keyless entry operational or in use- only used it to allow the deadbolt to operate).

At last- on our last trip of the season, the deadbolt refused to operate. I am not against replacing it, actually would prefer to, as I am uncertain about trusting its future operation. HOWEVER, The interior knob does not allow access to the deadbolt. My thoughts are that I will need to remove the interior skin to have access.
My questions are as follows:
1. How do I remove the original deadbolt from the handle-
2. Can you order a replacement unit for the handle?
3. I have installed a double locking deadbolt on other Airstreams, and believe it may be best to just install a second deadbolt below the handle, it will give the appearance of 2 deadbolts….
Any advice or guidance is appreciated-
Thank you-
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Is your "deadbolt" lock the slide pin type that is part of the normal door lock? Or is it the type that is operated by a key and not part of the door lock?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Steve-
Our deadbolt is a factory installed unit, it is operated by a key only. If I knew "how" to upload a photo to my post, I would be happy to......

What appears to have happened is that there is some sort of selenoid that has stopped working as part of the keyless entry.

Again, I am VERY reluctant to trust the current deadbolt, due to our location, and the need to cross BC/Youkon in the spring.

My best option would be to replace the deadbolt in the handle, but.....I have NO way of understanding how to access it....as the interior only has a knob......and the two screws that are part of that only hold a faceplate on the knob.....

Hence my thought that ....I need to take the interior skin off to take a look-see.....

Any thoughts ??
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
eglisems,

I can't help you because I'm not familiar with that particular deadbolt. I've worked on three different door locks on Airstreams I have owned, two with deadbolts, and none of them required the removal of the interior skin except the very first which was a 70's model, and then only enough of the inside door skin to get it out. Also, I've not worked on a keyless entry system, so I really don't know what to say.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that is familiar with that lock. Sorry.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Contemplating a similar problem with a 88 Excella. Grab handle with keyed dead bolt in the top. Looks to me like I need to remove the interior door trim, the window trim around one window, and take out the interior skin between the door and the window that the light switches are mounted on. I have found out that the door trim is a t molding that is clipped and riveted in place. I talked to a lady this morning that told me they had a dead bolt repaired and that is the way the people who repaired it did it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
I too am getting that "feeling" Mind you we restored the whole rig, so its not the work, but the complications of tearing up the wall/ door trim / window trim/......

I am leaning VERY heavy towards the install a new deaqdbolt below the original handle- it will "look" double locked...not a bad thing......
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Bill-
Quick question on your door trim findings.....
Are you speaking of the frame around the door, or an interior trim pc?

I am just quite concerned about "ripping up" the new carpet installed last year, or the new drapes....thoughts?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I just had a gentleman who works on Airstream locks come and look at my trailer. I am going to let him install a new deadbolt beneath the handle. He said he cuts back the horizontal trim, moves the trim end cap over, and puts the lock below the handle. It is a single deadbolt with a knob inside. His comment is that the factory deadbolts had a poorly designed deadbolt that he prefers to disable because it sometimes failes closed when traveling, I hate having the drilled deadbolt showing in the handle, but decided that it looks better than what might happen if I pull the interior. Yes, he said you do have to take out the interior panel to work on the factoy installed lock.

There is a trim ring around the door that has to come out to get to the rivets in the panel. The door trim ring is a t shaped molding and the t is spring clipped in and also riveted along the inside edge of the part of the door frame between the inside and outside walls. Look for the rivets near the inside edge of the door frame.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Bill.....Im right along with you on that...If I were closer to Jc...or really WANTED to take that project on....that s a different thing- a new deadbolt, which I have installed before on other units.....will take me 3 to 4 hours without the frustration of all of the trim work...... See great minds.......
Let me know how your turns out... I need to wait for our weather to warm up here - as i will replace the black tank valve and the deadbolt before we hit the road-

Tags
deadbolt in grab bar, deadbolt in handle, deadbolt replacment, keyless enrty