Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
PLEASE HELP...Cast aluminum door frame problem.

Bring home Rin Tin Tin the door blew open on the highway and cracked the frame at the lock. I had the door welded. This weekend I riveted the interior/exterior skins on and rehung the door. The door seems to be racked at the top. Any suggestions on how to correct this? Its seems to fit properly at the bottom. The top is another story, it sits away about and inch or so on the lock side and 1/4" at the hinge side top. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? Thanks, Cynthia

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Photos of the door.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Sorry to hear!!

Our 66 had broken at the door hinge (in 2 places). I was able to remove the skins and have the frame welded at a metal shop that does aluminum work (get someone good or that casting will turn to mush so fast). Removing the skins is critical or the heat will warp the sheet something horrible. When the guy welded it he also reinforced the area since the metal around the weld would never be quite as strong as the original casting. Then make yourself a wood block to hold that door shut on the road.
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Scoot & Megan got it right there, Cynthia. You need your door re-formed to fit the opening. Do a search on bent door, there's lots of others that have had that same problem. T'ain't fatal!

Another point: looks like you used POP rivets to put the skin back on. Since you are going to take them all OFF again anyways to fix the door, now's the time to do it right, with BUCK rivets.

Udderwize, yer door will likely be fulla water when it rains; not fun at All!

Might be better to try and find a local shop that does buck rivets, they aren't something you will use all that often unless you start taking the OUTside skins off...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If I remember correctly...

I believe that Inland Andy once mentioned fitting a twisted door by the use of wood blocks at the door frame and judicious use of force. Call him or Greg at Inland for some advice.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
Bring home Rin Tin Tin the door blew open on the highway and cracked the frame at the lock. I had the door welded. This weekend I riveted the interior/exterior skins on and rehung the door. The door seems to be racked at the top. Any suggestions on how to correct this? Its seems to fit properly at the bottom. The top is another story, it sits away about and inch or so on the lock side and 1/4" at the hinge side top. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? Thanks, Cynthia
The cast entrance door frames, cannot be forced back into their original shape.

You must remove the exterior and interior metal, locate the cause of the crack or bend, cut that area with a saw, reshape the door frame, and then weld it back together.

After it's determined that it's shape is correct, reattach the sheet metal, but using different rivet holes is a must.

After the door is reinstalled, then and only then, fill in the old holes with rivets as necessary.

Andy
Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I have fixed two such doors at my shop... the only way that I have found works is take the skin(s) off the door and hang the door frame in place (closed position). Then very carefully and I can not stress this enough, CAREFULLY, uses a Acetylene/oxygen rosebud and heat the door frame and bend back into the correct position! It does not take much heat (400 to 600 degrees) IF YOU OVER HEAT THE FRAME IT IS DONE!!! Once you have the right radius bent back into the door re-skin the door. The old rivet holes will not line back up at the top of the door!!!! So you will have to re-drill new holes....

Note to all: When wending aluminum that has a radius it will not maintain it's shape! The aluminum will expand in most cases and not cool back in the same radius shape!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I have some pictures of when I repaired my cast frame on posts 203, 231,250, and 251. The method Vinstream explained is right on.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html

Kip
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
ALL great information. Thanks EVERYONE!!
Kip, Love the full monte!

My newest question: How to I explain the radius to the welder at the shop? Do I need to drag Rin Tin Tin to the shop (HOPEFULLY NOT) or can I take the door screen for reference?What to do next?? I AM SO LOST and SO OVER THIS DOOR PROBLEM!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Taking the trailer to the welding shop is really the only way to ensure a good fit, although I did not do it, but did supply a contoured piece of wood for the initial contour. I then mounted the door to the trailer was able to fine tune it during the skin install.

Kip
Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Taking the trailer to the welding shop is really the only way to ensure a good fit, although I did not do it, but did supply a contoured piece of wood for the initial contour. I then mounted the door to the trailer was able to fine tune it during the skin install.

Kip
Kip,
I was afraid that was the answer...
Next step to find a local shop very near 76012 to do this type of weld w/o breaking the bank. I have no idea on the cost. What can I assume is a fair price guideline?
Thanks, Cynthia

Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Another point: looks like you used POP rivets to put the skin back on. Since you are going to take them all OFF again anyways to fix the door, now's the time to do it right, with BUCK rivets.

Yes, I used olympic rivets and vulcum...I was a bad girl...again caught me..

Old 04-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Heating Aluminium castings

I suggest to all to use tempil sticks when heating aluminum; you cannot tell the temperature by appearance. I also have a pair of blue lenses in a set of welding goggles that really help to see what is going on. Tempil sticks look like crayons; they melt at a specified temperature, used by heat treaters and fabricators. Most welding supply shops stock them or can order them. Aluminum castings can be very tricky to weld, bend, and straighten.
WLJ
Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Door frame project on temporary hold. Unable to find a mobile tig welder near arlington,tx. Currently have an ad at the local Lockhead Martin Mechanics shop and on Craigslist...crossing my fingers, REALLY dont want to tow this baby thru downtown ft.worth to get to a shop
Cynthia

Tags
cast aluminum, door frame, door