Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2011 27' FB Classic
Fisher , Illinois
Unhappy Opening the Lid to the tool locker???

We have a 2003 25' Classic. Immediately behind and below the LP bottles is a small tool locker about 12" square and about 6" deep. The lid has a turn latch that for two years worked just fine: turn it 90 degrees and lift the lid. Now it will not turn. This seems like a no-brainer, but I've tried everything but a cutting torch and the latch will not turn. I cannot open the locker. Has anyone else had this minor problem? Any solutions? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
farmboydkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboydkb
Has anyone else had this minor problem? Any solutions? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
WD40, or Howe's oil applied to the lock mechanism should help. It sounds like you got some water in the lock,. and it stuck.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
We have a 2003 25' Classic. Immediately behind and below the LP bottles is a small tool locker about 12" square and about 6" deep. The lid has a turn latch that for two years worked just fine: turn it 90 degrees and lift the lid. Now it will not turn. This seems like a no-brainer, but I've tried everything but a cutting torch and the latch will not turn. I cannot open the locker. Has anyone else had this minor problem? Any solutions? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
That's weird! What's your weather like? Is it possible that the mechanism is frozen? In any event WD40 or 3 in 1 oil should free it up. Try pressing down on the lid when you turn the latch.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2011 27' FB Classic
Fisher , Illinois
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some WD40 --- though I think I did already . . . the idea about pressing down may help. This is E. Central Illinois and it's winter . . . but the Airstream is in a heated shed when it's not on the road . . . I'm going to tinker with it a bit . . . Thx. dkb
Old 02-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Farmer---is it possable that something inside is against the latch ?? I think there is a drain hole in the bottom of the box that you might be able to stick a screw driver in and move it if that is th case. ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Final suggestion - DYNAMITE!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Try one of the finess types of tools
Attached Images

Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2011 27' FB Classic
Fisher , Illinois
Results!!

Happily -- without need of crow-bars or dynamite -- I used a little wd40 and put a crescent wrench on the latch for leverage and managed to get the latch to release -- without damaging the turn knob.

I'm not entirely convinced that the wd40 was necessary -- I think it was the cautious use of force that did the job (perhaps with the help of a little wd40!!).

FYI -- the knob turns counter-clockwise to release ('makes sense). With the lid open I've worked the latch back and forth . . . and there appears to be a "catch" that's internal to the latch mechanism that wants to hold the latch in locked position -- just the same as if the lid were latched in closed position. There was no other apparent corrosion or visible obstruction external to the latch.

For now, I think I'll just close the lid and leave it unlatched.

Thanks for the responses. 'little problem -- big annoyance. dkb
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Tool Box Latch

Farmer,

Last year I removed all the locks form my battery compartments, the potable water service door and the rear storage door. Took them to the local locksmith and had them all keyed the same. Additionally I removed the unkeyed latch from the forward tool box and replaced with a keyed latch identical to the one used on the rear storage door. Reduced the number of keys required, addeded a little security to the tool box and surprisingly was not very expensive. I also use a spray silicone lubricant on all the locks, no oils to thicken or attract dirt and nothing to freeze. Also added a small bead of foam weather stripping around the edge of the tool box lid. This prevents a lot of moisture from getting into the box.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Something Light is Good

Quote:
Happily -- without need of crow-bars or dynamite -- I used a little wd40 and put a crescent wrench on the latch for leverage and managed to get the latch to release -- without damaging the turn knob.

I'm not entirely convinced that the wd40 was necessary -- I think it was the cautious use of force that did the job (perhaps with the help of a little wd40!!).

FYI -- the knob turns counter-clockwise to release ('makes sense). With the lid open I've worked the latch back and forth . . . and there appears to be a "catch" that's internal to the latch mechanism that wants to hold the latch in locked position -- just the same as if the lid were latched in closed position. There was no other apparent corrosion or visible obstruction external to the latch.

For now, I think I'll just close the lid and leave it unlatched.

Thanks for the responses. 'little problem -- big annoyance. dkb

This is the fun type of problem! As interesting as failing axel's are, it is fun to have something that is not crippling someones trailer for a season. After all there is always a project of some sort! I like the light duty stuff it is a good change from replacing appliances or facing 80 hour buffing jobs!

Thanks for sharing we don't get enough of these. I guess I recall my own dual with replacing panel locks on an old trailer.

The forum gave me some ideas and eventually I found a place to get something that worked. It was one potentially annoying problem that got fixed. Sort of like you fixing the box! Only you don't feel bad for the owner because the AS is not down for season and (hopefully) doesn't need repairs that soak up the beer bucks.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote