Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , New York
No keys

We have just become the proud new owners of a 1976 Sovereign. (center bath, rear twin). I was given 1 key (for the door) and that is all. The two hatches on the street side are closed and locked. I tried to use the key I had to open the the hatch doors and promptly broke he key off. Several questions: #1- What are those hatches? #2- How do I open/replace those locks? Do I need to drill them out? If so, can I replace them with more modern locks and keys? Can I get several locks and the same key? #3- can I get keys for these locks? Thanks for your help and advice. We are so excited to start this journey and we absolutely love our Airstream!
Waltinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Is your refrigerator on the street side? That would be 1 hatch. A smaller hatch would be the battery compartment. Yes you can drill these out and get new ones from a locksmith shop keyed alike.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
I have the same trailer as yours.
You can get to the back storage locker by removing the drivers side bed. Once you have the bed base up, you can access the storage from above and using pliers, remove the nut holding the lock - it will come out to the front.
Take it to a locksmith and he will make a key for it. Hopefully, all the other door locks will match this key - mine did. Also take your broken key to the locksmith, and they can make a new door key for you. Get three!
If they are not keyed alike, you can get to the refrigerator door from underneath - harder than the back, but doable. The only bad one would be the battery box behind the front door. Good Luck.
P.S., I bought a lockable key box at Home Depot. Put extra door key in it and mounted it on my front frame.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
According to the Airstream Key list your trunk door, access doors, and battery door compartment doors should use key # 1101x and your water fill door should use key # CH751. They are available from Airstream dealers and at Out of Doors Mart on line. This assumes they have not been changed by some previous owner. The keys are universal for many many Airstreams.

The main door key is a KT blank but will be cut different for different trailers.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , New York
Wow, thanks everyone. Great advice. The battery box is unlocked so no issue there (except I can't lock it). Yes the fridge is on the street side and one of the compartments lines up with that so that is one of them. The one in the back is under the street side bed so I will try and get to that one from the inside and get it off. I'll have a locksmith make me some keys. I was planning to rekey the whole thing anyway. Is that practical or no?
Waltinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Hope you get it fixed. Get plenty of spare keys. Having broken off more keys and snapped latches and other things in my rv life, I've finally come to the conclusion. Don't force anything on your AS. Let someone else try it and then you can blame them.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote