Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Wellston , Jackson
Needing outside cabinet locks.

Having a hard time finding locks for my battery box and the other lock boxes to. I had to drill them out witch then messed up the whole assembly. If I could find used ones it would be great. Thanks, Seth.
73 excella 500
Powerlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlineman View Post
Having a hard time finding locks for my battery box and the other lock boxes to. I had to drill them out witch then messed up the whole assembly. If I could find used ones it would be great. Thanks, Seth.
73 excella 500
New locks are available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Try Vintage Trailer Supply. I ordered mine from them, and got them all keyed alike. They come in different lengths, depending on installation.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Wellston , Jackson
Thanks for the help fellas!!!
Powerlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Replacing Battery Box Lock - 2008 Safari 27FB

The battery box lid of my 2008 Safari 27FB has a twist cam to open and close, not a keyed lock. The cam mechanism rusted over time and became difficult to operate so I decided to replace it. Wanting extra security for the batteries I decided to replace the twist cam with a keyed cam lock.

I found a weather resistant stainless steel cam lock at Grainger. It includes a rubber gasket as well as extra cams and two keys. The product is made by CCL, item number 62207. I ordered it online for pickup at the local store to save on shipping. Cost was $9.13 for the lock plus tax. The Grainger stock number is 6NVK8. CCL Weather Resistant Cam Lock 5/8 in - File Cabinet and Cam Locks - 6NVK8|62207 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Pictures below of the old cam, the new stainless locking cam installed, and the stainless lock set with package and parts. Now I need to paint the lid!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2366.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	174220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2369.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	174221  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2368.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	174222  
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
The battery box lid of my 2008 Safari 27FB has a twist cam to open and close, not a keyed lock. The cam mechanism rusted over time and became difficult to operate so I decided to replace it. Wanting extra security for the batteries I decided to replace the twist cam with a keyed cam lock.

I found a weather resistant stainless steel cam lock at Grainger. It includes a rubber gasket as well as extra cams and two keys. The product is made by CCL, item number 62207. I ordered it online for pickup at the local store to save on shipping. Cost was $9.13 for the lock plus tax. The Grainger stock number is 6NVK8. CCL Weather Resistant Cam Lock 5/8 in - File Cabinet and Cam Locks - 6NVK8|62207 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Pictures below of the old cam, the new stainless locking cam installed, and the stainless lock set with package and parts. Now I need to paint the lid!
I believe the RV code says battery compartments must be held closed with a NON KEYED LOCKK, in case of fire.

Therefore a keyed lock is a no-no.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That looks good, though I'm not sure how well it will hold up in that orientation. As it gets water on it, it will sit there long enough for the water to get into the tumblers. Maybe a rubber cap over it would be a good idea. It does have the advantage of keeping your neighbors honest.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I believe the RV code says battery compartments must be held closed with a NON KEYED LOCKK, in case of fire.

Therefore a keyed lock is a no-no.

Andy
someone better tell airstream. my 94 & 11 both have keyed locks and nothing a screwdriver couldn't open in an emergency.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Lock for Battery Box

Andy - I'm not sure about code but I've seen many examples of battery boxes or compartments on RV's with locks. Don't some of Classics built in the last decade (as recently as 2009) have two battery boxes built into the front of the trailer with locks? The safety issue would be more acute with those trailers since the batteries are actually inside the trailer instead of inside a box welded to the A-frame. I believe I've also seen recent model Flying Cloud on a dealer lot with the type of battery box on my trailer and a key lock. The stainless steel replacement battery boxes sold by Best Converter incorporate key locks. I believe most motorhomes have battery compartments, accessible through an outside door with lock.

Terry - The lock I purchased is specifically designed for outdoor and harsh weather conditions. It is stainless steel construction plus there is a metal "door" that covers the keyhole and is pushed aside when you insert the key. Perhaps that dust cover door keeps water out, I'll have to see how long it lasts.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote