Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Bambi Fan

2015 16' Sport
1973 31' Sovereign
Hurricane , Utah
Need Plastic Cover for Screen Door 1973 31'

I have search the net and this forum for repalcement part for screen door. Anyone have a source for the plastic slide on the OEM screen door, about 4 1/2 " by 4 1/2"

Thanks
Charles
chas.davey@gmail.com
charles12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Charles

If you mean the piece that you slide to access the door handle, I purchased one from InlandRV a couple of years ago for my '75 Argosy. I was replacing a pretty good original that had turned yellow with age but stll useable. I think I kept the old one but won't be able to look before tomorrow. If I can find it I'll post a picture. If it's the right piece and you want it - it's your for the postage. Let me know if you're interested.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Inland Rv has em Just order on line or call em.
I need to order one also,mine is MIA
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
How bout aluminum?

Didn't these things used to be made of hammered aluminum?
Seems it would be not that hard to make one like that, if you had a friend in the sheet metal biz..

Seems the originals had a recesed finger slot, that would take special set up but why wouldn't a cabinet knob or pull work instead?
Where can one buy that hammered aluminum?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Here is a picture of the used one I have. It measures about 5.75 inches tall and 6.5 inches across. Like I said, if you think it's what you're looking for and you want it, you can have it for the postage. Just sent me a private message with your address or post it here.

Toodles,

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00972.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	64096  
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Didn't these things used to be made of hammered aluminum?
Seems it would be not that hard to make one like that, if you had a friend in the sheet metal biz..

Seems the originals had a recesed finger slot, that would take special set up but why wouldn't a cabinet knob or pull work instead?
Where can one buy that hammered aluminum?
My 73 had a plastic slider. MY 71 has hammered aluminum on a hinge.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
South San Francisco , California
Screen door Latch

Can some one please take a picture of the latch that secures the screen door to the main door. My latch is missing. Not sure how it went on. Thanks Mike 72 sov. 31ft.
Mike Ofiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Charles12 they should be available from any Airstream Dealer and some of the universal ones available from any RV store can be cut down to fit. FWIW I get a lot of my parts from Out-of-Doors Mart in Colfax, NC. They do have an online store and will accept phone orders too.

Mike,
The latch piece you need is NLA as far as I know. I fixed mine for a bit by using a piece of velcro. The better solution is to buy the stainless steel slide bolt used on the later models and either shim it up to catch the screen door, or rivet/weld a small angle tab on the screen door.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
this post might be of some help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...tch-42829.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
I almost reposted that myself. I made the slider out of aluminum flashing and slipped it in there, and bent the ends back for tabs. Actually I folded the ends so they wouldn't be sharp and would be a little stronger, first. Then I slipped it in and bent the tabs back. It works really well except I have to remember to open the slider when I close the outside door or it will get bent and I will have to make another one, which is irritating, but it takes about 15 minutes so is not too much of a problem. I made my own slider because all the ones I found at RV dealers were too big, even cut down, for my screen door. If yours is a standard size, you can find them at any RV supply.

As for the catch that fastens the screen door to the outside door, mine is just a black slider fastened on the inside of the door, which catches the screen when it is opened. They are spring loaded. I have seen these on doors of wrecked Airsteams at Colaws. I can take a picture later if you would like.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
~snip~
As for the catch that fastens the screen door to the outside door, mine is just a black slider fastened on the inside of the door, which catches the screen when it is opened. They are spring loaded. I have seen these on doors of wrecked Airsteams at Colaws. I can take a picture later if you would like.
That is what was on mine, they are NLA and all of the ones I have seen in the salvage yards are broken or missing. Hence the use of the stainless steel slider. I added the scrap of aluminum angle tab to the screen door with a bit of JB Weld.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
That is what was on mine, they are NLA and all of the ones I have seen in the salvage yards are broken or missing. Hence the use of the stainless steel slider. I added the scrap of aluminum angle tab to the screen door with a bit of JB Weld.

Aaron
We go out to Colaw's every now and again, I can check for you and see if there is a good one if you are interested. Might be a few weeks before we get there tho.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
We go out to Colaw's every now and again, I can check for you and see if there is a good one if you are interested. Might be a few weeks before we get there tho.
Thanks for the offer, but I have already changed mine over to the stainless throw bolt. In many ways I like it better.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

plastic cupboard latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ofiesh View Post
Can some one please take a picture of the latch that secures the screen door to the main door. My latch is missing. Not sure how it went on. Thanks Mike 72 sov. 31ft.
I have a1974 overlander, and wasted about $20 getting a latch I didn't need, because I didn't listen to the parts person. They kept trying to tell me I wanted the black plastic door latch, but I insisted it was a different one. At any rate, I have since learned, they were right, I was wrong. The black plastic latch that probably secures your closet doors and other cupboard doors, will also mount on your outside door, and will latch the screen door to it.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You can still get the original if your willing to part it out of this cabinet latch from Inland or Airstream. There was a guy in Ohio that sold a bunch of these on Ebay - before he got smart and started selling them one or two at a time - I snagged 6 of them for 20.00.

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Screen Door Latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ofiesh View Post
We still have the latch, ( the black center piece, on the right side of the image above from a previous post) but one of the two rivets has popped off. Does anyone know how to reattach it with out removing the entire interior door cover assembly?

Any insight or information would be appreciated!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The latch is still in place, but one rivet is gone?

Pop in a new rivet.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The latch is still in place, but one rivet is gone?

Pop in a new rivet.
Ah, Richard, if only it was that easy.

It seems that the latch must be rivetted back in place from the back, which means that we would have to pull off the interior portion of the front door to reattach it and then rivet everything back up (at least 10 off white painted rivets), unless you know or can suggest another way of reattaching it.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Ah, Richard, if only it was that easy.

It seems that the latch must be rivetted back in place from the back, which means that we would have to pull off the interior portion of the front door to reattach it and then rivet everything back up (at least 10 off white painted rivets), unless you know or can suggest another way of reattaching it.
The black latch rivets from the front - it's actually two pieces - the two bottom right parts in the photo above. You can take it apart if your patient and pop a new rivet in as Richard said. Slide it all the way back in the open position and gently pry the back and back sides edge - it will either break from being dried out or come apart giving you access to the rivet. You'll want to pay attention to the spring position as you take it apart. Good luck....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
here's a couple pics of what I did re: the catches for the screen door, both in open and closed modes. I used a spring-loaded roller catch to hold door closed, so you can just grab it, or push it, to open it. As for the standard black plastic catch to hold it open against the main door, I had to tin-snip cut a little flange of aluminum and screw it to the screen door, for the catch to engage it. I took the spring out of the catch before installing it, didn't want to necessarily open both doors at once, which might be too much pressure for the old catch. i, too, used a piece of aluminum for that access hole in the screen door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2024_IMG.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	65124   Click image for larger version

Name:	120-2025_IMG.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	65125  

tphan is offline   Reply With Quote