Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
here's a couple pics of what I did re: the catches for the screen door, both in open and closed modes. I used a spring-loaded roller catch to hold door closed, so you can just grab it, or push it, to open it. As for the standard black plastic catch to hold it open against the main door, I had to tin-snip cut a little flange of aluminum and screw it to the screen door, for the catch to engage it. I took the spring out of the catch before installing it, didn't want to necessarily open both doors at once, which might be too much pressure for the old catch. i, too, used a piece of aluminum for that access hole in the screen door.
I too, took the spring out of mine after accidently locking the screen from the inside and the door also, and found ourselves locked out! That's not going to happen again! I like your aluminum better than mine, where did you get it? I just used a piece of flashing I happened to have left over.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Isadora- I forget where I got it, on-line somewhere. I used it for the front of my fridge, and had enough left for all the cabinet toe kicks, and the screen door thingie. If you're interested, pm me and I can look through my receipts. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Isadora- I forget where I got it, on-line somewhere. I used it for the front of my fridge, and had enough left for all the cabinet toe kicks, and the screen door thingie. If you're interested, pm me and I can look through my receipts. -tim
It's not that important right now, mine works fine. In fact I think I know where I can get some, when I think about it--I remember seeing it on some doors of the wrecked trailers at Colaw's--if I can find one I can get it off of. I'll check the next time I go out there. But thanks anyway.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
The black latch rivets from the front - it's actually two pieces - the two bottom right parts in the photo above. You can take it apart if your patient and pop a new rivet in as Richard said. Slide it all the way back in the open position and gently pry the back and back sides edge - it will either break from being dried out or come apart giving you access to the rivet. You'll want to pay attention to the spring position as you take it apart. Good luck....
Gary,

Thank you so much for the information. As usual this forum and its members offer such a wealth of information.

We'll try it this weekend!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:05 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
Sonny at Camper Repair in Alabama buys all of the obsolete model parts directly from Airstream and has warehouses full of most parts needed for vintage model trailers and motor homes. He is also great to deal with, I will always check with him first.
I just ordered a screen door cover (Screen Door Gizzie) is what it`s called, and he has them for many models, and at good prices.
I also ordered a new set of window pushout rods, and the replacement exterior blue plastic trim i ordered, was half of what another dealer wanted for it. He is very knowledgeable and helpful, so if you need hard to find parts at a good price, give him a call at 205-902-2538
Regards all,,,,Dave 1987 25' Sovereign in Longview, Tx.
dave43tex is offline   Reply With Quote