Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #1

1965 20' Globetrotter
Ruston , Louisiana
Need door for 1965 Globetrotter!!

Well, going down the interstate the door flew open and has been pretty damaged. No longer fits in the frame correctly. I either need another door or how do I repair this one?? Any help out there would be most appreciated. Gerry
gerry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
The fix is not likely to be easy. My door frame is broken and needs to be welded. I have a jig that matches the curve of my door entrance (you can make out of 2x4) strip the door down to the frame. Have a local welder that can tig weld aluminum weld it for you. It is cast aluminum so make sure they are good. Then re skin the door. The hardest part for me will be takeing the door off the hinge. I would check out this guys threads I know he has something in there about door repair. I am hopeing to get to mine in a few weeks. I will post pics.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Try to fix the one you have!!! You may have to take it apart to fix it correctly but even if you find another door of this are it will not fit totally correct.

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Big project

So Sorry,

Your situation really, really sucks. It is just sickening when that happens. Plenty of us understand your grief.

It won't be easy to find a door unless you buy another same vintage trailer. You could spend years searching for a solo door, and unless you get real lucky, it'll be big bucks...

Better (can't say good) news is that your broken door can be repaired. It's a long time project, but you can make it better (fit-wise) than new with some high skilled welding. Minimally, you'll have to remove most all the inside door rivets and upper inside skin, and gasket.

Then you can find where the cracked door casting will have to be expertly ground and welded. The welder may want to have the outer skins removed too, which adds more labor to the project. He may be able to heat-sink and cool the skin enough so that it doesn't burn through the outer skin, but you'll most likely have discoloration and clearcoat issues..

Let the welder decide if he wants to weld the door off the trailer on a jig, or if he wants to leave it hinged on the trailer and tack/fit/clamp it to the jamb.

If you find that it is only stretched and not cracked through, you'll still have to go through the same procedure but cut a birds-mouth or two or three in the casting and have it welded to fit. Pretty sure that just bending it back will weaken it excessively and it'll eventually fail.

You'll discover many other formidable issues to address throughout this procedure, rivets, latch, skins, hinge, gasket... It's an "experience"

If you go to your local community college and sign up for a TIG welding class, and fix your door, you'll get a four credit “A” for sure.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
So Sorry,

Your situation really, really sucks. It is just sickening when that happens. Plenty of us understand your grief.

It won't be easy to find a door unless you buy another same vintage trailer. You could spend years searching for a solo door, and unless you get real lucky, it'll be big bucks...

Better (can't say good) news is that your broken door can be repaired. It's a long time project, but you can make it better (fit-wise) than new with some high skilled welding. Minimally, you'll have to remove most all the inside door rivets and upper inside skin, and gasket.

Then you can find where the cracked door casting will have to be expertly ground and welded. The welder may want to have the outer skins removed too, which adds more labor to the project. He may be able to heat-sink and cool the skin enough so that it doesn't burn through the outer skin, but you'll most likely have discoloration and clearcoat issues..

Let the welder decide if he wants to weld the door off the trailer on a jig, or if he wants to leave it hinged on the trailer and tack/fit/clamp it to the jamb.

If you find that it is only stretched and not cracked through, you'll still have to go through the same procedure but cut a birds-mouth or two or three in the casting and have it welded to fit. Pretty sure that just bending it back will weaken it excessively and it'll eventually fail.

You'll discover many other formidable issues to address throughout this procedure, rivets, latch, skins, hinge, gasket... It's an "experience"

If you go to your local community college and sign up for a TIG welding class, and fix your door, you'll get a four credit “A” for sure.
I will agree that this is an unfortunate situation. I also agree that your welder will decide if they want to use a jig or clamp it to the trailer. But do not take the frame to a community college. The frame is cast aluminum which is much harder to weld than aluminum sheet or solid aluminum. TIG welding is a very technical and needs a pros touch.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags