Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Moving front door to back

So I've been day dreaming a little about what would be involved in moving the door on a '77 Safari to the back. I'm wanting to go with a layout like the '09 Flying Cloud 23FB. It seems most of the work would involve redoing the door and frame for right side hinges, instead of the left.

I haven't found any examples of this being done before, which kinda makes it even more interesting. Thoughts?

Kevin

Old 03-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
So I've been day dreaming a little about what would be involved in moving the door on a '77 Safari to the back. I'm wanting to go with a layout like the '09 Flying Cloud 23FB. It seems most of the work would involve redoing the door and frame for right side hinges, instead of the left.

I haven't found any examples of this being done before, which kinda makes it even more interesting. Thoughts?

Kevin
Not a problem to do.

The greater problem would be the dent in the pocket book.

Andy

Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Not a problem to do.

The greater problem would be the dent in the pocket book.

Andy
Andy, funny you should be the first to respond. I actually considered calling you today. Your not too far south of me. I'm looking for a project airstream. I got out of wood working a couple years ago, and I'm thinking of getting into aluminum now!

Obviously moving a door is a more advanced project than I should be considering right now, so I was going to ask, what's your ball park on something like that?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Andy, funny you should be the first to respond. I actually considered calling you today. Your not too far south of me. I'm looking for a project airstream. I got out of wood working a couple years ago, and I'm thinking of getting into aluminum now!

Obviously moving a door is a more advanced project than I should be considering right now, so I was going to ask, what's your ball park on something like that?
Commercial vendors cannot quote prices on these Forums.

Check your PM.

The cost will depend on what do you want in place of the original door location.

Also, what furniture change or changes do you want to make, and where with respect to the door.

A rough drawing or sketch, before and after, would be very helpful.

Andy
Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Why not leave the door as is and add another door in the back? You could put a picture or drape over the front door and set a chair in front of it or build a computer desk or other storage in front of it. That way you could buy a used door and put it where you want and BAM.... you're in business!
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote