Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Main door lock broken..can't get open

Well, I used the skinny kid (my 11 yr. old nephew) to get into the trailer this morning. He went in through the streetside storage compartment. Luckily, I didn't screw the beds back down when I fixed the floor & frame! Anyhow, he couldn't get the door open from the inside either. He unscrewed the screen in the back & left me an entryway without breaking anything (Sweet!) So, I crawled in the back window & tried myself to open the door....no luck. Something is broken in the mechanism. How in the world do I get the plate off to even see what's going on in there? How do you get the handle off on the inside? I can't get the plate off because the handle is on. There's nothing on the outside to unscrew to take the inside handle off either. I've got a call in to Greg at Inland, but I think he's pretty busy....thought I'd try here. The good news is that I was able to get my husband's pillow out. (he was having withdrawl). I think I'm too old to be crawling in & out of the back window, so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I did talk to Greg...I got the handle off & now can see the mechanism. Now what? I think the lock is jammed, but nothing happens if I force it up or down. I have to walk away before I do something I may regret later...like take a screwdriver & break everything in there! I think I'll wait for the patient one to get home!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i think you want to try to slide the bolt back out of the door frame until you're free!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Squirt PB Blaster in the mechanism. Is the trailer sitting level? If not the door could be in a bind. Have you tried pulling on the door from the inside (or pushing (gently!) from the outside) while twisting the knob?

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
You're not the first to have a broken lock. If yours is similar to my 1979, the bolt breaks where it is rivited to the plate. When the handle is turned the plate moves and pulls the bolt out of the striker plate. As I recall you can clamp a pair of vice grips in the square shaft that the handle turns. Then use the vice grips to turn the shaft as if the handle was on there. While holding it "open" try to slide an all or a pick or small screwdriver onto the end of the bolt and slide it out of the striker plate. You might need someone to push against the outside of the door to relieve pressure from the door gasket so the friction is removed from the broken piece of the bolt. I can't remember if you can see the bolt or if you have to remove a plate on the inside of the lock to see the plate. Or, tip the trailer up on end, then turn the vicegrips to pull the bolt, and then whack the door with a rubber mallet till the broken piece from the bolt slides back out of the striker plate by itself. I never tried that but it seems reasonable. Another option is to remove the hinge pins from the door hinges. CharlieE
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

You're on the right track.

Inland fixed mine.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My husband got it open. He did it just as Charlie said it was done. The bolt is indeed broken where it's riveted to the plate. Now to find out what one I have & if I can get parts. I'll post a picture & see if anyone can identify it! Thanks for your help all....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
My husband got it open. He did it just as Charlie said it was done. The bolt is indeed broken where it's riveted to the plate. Now to find out what one I have & if I can get parts. I'll post a picture & see if anyone can identify it! Thanks for your help all....
New parts are not available for your lock.

We have a replacement kit for the entire lock, that uses currect style locks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Is this lock made by Keeler Brass, or GM (If I should hunt for parts, I would need to know, I guess). My husband has a back up plan to have his retired buddy make new parts. I think a new one may be easier. Thanks, Andy & Greg for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp broken lock 1.bmp (900.1 KB, 570 views)
File Type: bmp broken lock 2.bmp (900.1 KB, 347 views)
File Type: bmp broken lock 3.bmp (900.1 KB, 310 views)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I found out that the lock was a Keeler. Called all the salvage places, but no luck. I really didn't want to modify the trailer door w/a new door handle. My husband's friend made me a new plate with the bolt. He also removed the lock mechanism for me (I have a key bolt on the side) so I will never get accidentally locked out! The door handle is back in place & working great! All I had to pay him was a lemon merangue pie! Such a nice guy our friend Harry! Maybe he should start a little business of making door bolts for Airstreams. It sure seems like they all break eventually!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
That style of lock with the bolt rivited to the plate gets a force in the wrong direction when the door gets slamed. The force is on the side of the bolt which eventually breaks at the plate. I keep mine sprayed with silicone so that it latches with slight pressure against the door with a couple finger tips of push. I once saw an AS parked at the international border crossing in North Dakota. Several hours later he showed up at the pre-rally site in Portage La Prarie. He parked his trailer and walked to back of his trailer to enter thru the rear window. I said "did you come here straight from customs". "Yes" he replied. I told the customs people they couldn't enter the trailer because the door lock was broken. So... they proceeded to spend a long time searching his trailer. Keep them lubricated and don't slam the door.
CharlieE
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #12

Arkansas City , Kansas
I have the same door lock problem for my 67. Anyone know where to find parts or replacements for the door handle mechanism?

Mike
Olenmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olenmedical View Post
I have the same door lock problem for my 67. Anyone know where to find parts or replacements for the door handle mechanism?

Mike
The only part that is avalble for your lock is the striker bolt, which is now machined instead of cast.

New complete locks are available.

You should also check the striker pockets condition since it's made of nylon.

We have the original Airstream mold for that part.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Brownsburg , Indiana
79 Sovereign door

Hello, my door latch (Keeler Brass) won’t engage to open the door. It worked fine until the other day while the door was open, I turned the inside handle a few times (I’m not sure why). After I closed the door I could not reopen it and I had to climb through the window. The lever was very hard to turn (lift or pull) from the inside, but it did finally “pop” open. Once open, it appears that everything is functioning as normal so I closed the door again. It didn’t close as easy as normal and will not open when you pull the outside lever. It feels like its locked. However, I have the key, but it only turns the tumbler and doesn’t lock or unlock the door. Any help is appreciated.
burch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
MajorTom

1989 32' Excella
portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
Well, I used the skinny kid (my 11 yr. old nephew) to get into the trailer this morning. He went in through the streetside storage compartment. Luckily, I didn't screw the beds back down when I fixed the floor & frame! Anyhow, he couldn't get the door open from the inside either. He unscrewed the screen in the back & left me an entryway without breaking anything (Sweet!) So, I crawled in the back window & tried myself to open the door....no luck. Something is broken in the mechanism. How in the world do I get the plate off to even see what's going on in there? How do you get the handle off on the inside? I can't get the plate off because the handle is on. There's nothing on the outside to unscrew to take the inside handle off either. I've got a call in to Greg at Inland, but I think he's pretty busy....thought I'd try here. The good news is that I was able to get my husband's pillow out. (he was having withdrawl). I think I'm too old to be crawling in & out of the back window, so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
The same thing happened to our 89 excella. How did you get it apart? I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to get this door open.
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:04 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Big Bear Lake , California
Me too

99 safari. Arrived at site after travel and the door went open. What can be done HELP. Ur ride calling everyone as t the TV park but no such luck
paul sokolof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
When I had a same problem I removed door. On the door hinge the 2 screws that hold hinge to tt are covered by a decorative trim piece held in position by double sided tape. Use a putty knife to remove.
Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #18

2007 19' Bambi
Fort Davis , Texas
Unlocked our Bambi door using both keys but door will not open. What could be wrong?
BobRose is offline   Reply With Quote